View Full Version : Q & A With Jack Klugman

hipster
12-16-2005, 08:26 AM
Q & A jack klugman
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q & A With Jack Klugman

HorsePlayer Magazine, Special to NTRA.com 12/11/2005

Reprinted courtesy of The HorsePlayer Magazine. Interview by Jason Levin

Jack Klugman File: The 83-year-old Philadelphia native played two of the most recognizable characters in television history during his long and storied career on the small screen. Klugman portrayed Oscar Madison in the hit comedy “The Odd Couple” (1970-'75). He followed that role with a long run on Quincy (1976-'83), where he became the world's most famous medical examiner. Klugman is a two-time Emmy Award winner and also a Tony Award nominee for his work on Broadway.

For the rest, click here:

http://www.ntra.com/content.aspx?type=news&style=&id=16016

JustRalph
12-16-2005, 08:51 AM
Great post............Thanks!

Not so sure PA will see it that way................

rokitman
12-16-2005, 10:01 AM
Yeah, that was real nice.

If Jack showed up here, called himself Steve X and posted about all the things he spoke about in that interview, a bunch of people would call him an asshole.

cj
12-16-2005, 10:05 AM
Yeah, that was real nice.

If Jack showed up here, called himself Steve X and posted about all the things he spoke about in that interview, a bunch of people would call him an asshole.

I'm trying to find the part where Jack starts off by telling us all he is a millionaire. Oh wait, he doesn't! I don't think he even says he is a winner. Just a guy that loves the game.

Dave Schwartz
12-16-2005, 10:06 AM
Rokitman,

I will refrain from agreeing with you only because I figure this thread is going away.

<G>

Dave

cj
12-16-2005, 10:11 AM
Rokitman,

I will refrain from agreeing with you only because I figure this thread is going away.

<G>

Dave

Even if Mr. Klugman had posted this himself, how does it even remotely compare to Mr. Richardson's initial post?

Steverr1
12-16-2005, 10:34 AM
Ah, Cj..

The asumption that he is already wealthy keeps him from having to make any statement of credibility to get your attention. Otherwise you may not have read a word if it written by Grover Jones.

cj
12-16-2005, 10:54 AM
Credibility for what? He doesn't make any claims of grandeur when it comes to betting horses, or anything else for that matter. He actually pretty much claims not to be a winner. You don't need credibility for that.

The funny thing, his article was posted for entertainment value and your post was not, but yours is actually a lot more entertaining.

Whirlaway
12-16-2005, 11:04 AM
I've seen him at Santa Anita a few times. Always has a big smile on his face after he cashes a bet.

kenwoodallpromos
12-16-2005, 11:13 AM
I think Klugman dropped more names!

twindouble
12-16-2005, 11:15 AM
I'm trying to find the part where Jack starts off by telling us all he is a millionaire. Oh wait, he doesn't! I don't think he even says he is a winner. Just a guy that loves the game.

You got to Love Klugman, he starts right out and admits he's a gambler, from what a gather not a vary good one though. For many years at the track I was surounded by Klugman's, it's a good place to be to learn the do's and don'ts but I did enjoy their company very much. I love hearing and telling racing stories, I told a few on other forums but not untill everyone stopped correcting my spelling and grammar.:cool:

banacek
12-16-2005, 11:25 AM
As Fred Flinstone would say - Riggafracking&%^&*$*)$*^*)%).

Is there any chance we could have a thread that isn't saturated with the current bashing that is going on. It is scarily reminding me of Horseplayers United!

PaceAdvantage
12-16-2005, 11:56 AM
Do not reprint full text articles without the permission of the copyright owner. I have edited the initial post to provide the link on the NTRA site...

toetoe
12-16-2005, 01:56 PM
When interviewing JK, I think you have to start with, "Interviewer to Goldilocks."

Or Mama Bear, or whichever.

andicap
12-16-2005, 02:25 PM
without engaging in any bashing let me say that to myself, Jack Klugman is an icon. The Odd Couple was the funniest show on TV until Seinfeld came along. Now THAT -- and that he's a well known gambler and owner of horses who doesn't claim to be a winner --- earns him major street cred in my book.

P.S. He was funny on Quincy as well, but more unintentionally. Anyone ever see the SCTV parody of Klugman on that show? :D :D :D He was on Puppy Uppers the whole time! Belongs right there in the Overacting Hall of Fame with DeForest Kelley and Sam Waterston on L&O. The crew had to rebuild the scenery every week!

toetoe
12-16-2005, 02:56 PM
Don't know whether JK is Jewish, but not to worry. All materials used in making the scenery were kosher.

Hosshead
12-16-2005, 04:51 PM
Two celebs I used to see (yrs. ago) at the track regularly, were Jack Klugman and the late Vince Edwards (Ben Casey).
Jack is truly a great guy. Vince was just the opposite.

Tom Barrister
12-16-2005, 07:18 PM
Ah, Cj..

The asumption that he is already wealthy keeps him from having to make any statement of credibility to get your attention. Otherwise you may not have read a word if it written by Grover Jones.

Assuming you're referring to the writer Grover Jones, not many would know who he was. Jones, in addition to being a writer, was also a movie producer, director, and screenwriter in the 1920s and 1930s. His stories were well-written and devoid of any sleaze or coarseness. Two of my favorites of his were movies Gloria Jean appeared in (anybody remember her?) "The Under-Pup" and "A Little Bit of Heaven", both of which I've written reviews for on the Internet Movie Database.

NY BRED
12-17-2005, 07:50 AM
jack appeared several times a year during the late 80's to mid 90's
at the nyack ,ny otb.

he was quite discreet, used to wear a wool pupka over his head..

i believe one or more of his kids lived in rockland county

Macdiarmadillo
12-18-2005, 12:16 AM
He has been seen long ago with his collar up and a hat shoved down over his head at N. Cal tracks. If anyone was recognizable to horseplayers, wouldn't it be Jack Klugman?

And don't we expect Dave Schwartz and the other pros to be straight out of Guys and Dolls?

Nickle
12-19-2005, 04:45 PM
Klugman is a degenerate gambler that basically lost every dime he earned acting. I would never believe a gambler when he says he wins.

JustRalph
12-19-2005, 05:43 PM
Klugman is a degenerate gambler that basically lost every dime he earned acting. I would never believe a gambler when he says he wins.

Do you know him personally?

keenang
12-19-2005, 09:42 PM
AS I POSTED A FEW YEARS AGO I HAD THE PLEASURE OF SPENDING AN AFTERNOON SITTING WITH JACK AT THE OLD SANTA ANITA BOOK IN L.V. BACK IN THE EARLY 80'S. YOU COULD NOT FIND A NICER GUY. HE WAS JUST LIKE ONE OF THE GUYS EXCEPT HE BET LARGER AMOUNTS
GENO

P.S. FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH THAT DAY WAS NOT A GOOD ONE FOR HIM.

RaceIsClosed
12-26-2005, 02:52 AM
When interviewing JK, I think you have to start with, "Interviewer to Goldilocks."

Or Mama Bear, or whichever.

And if you're there, I hope you brought your big spoon.