PDA

View Full Version : Santa Anita main track

so.cal.fan
12-15-2005, 02:03 PM
We have heard they are going to make this track surface much slower.
Even to the point of not having the heavy equipment dry up the track when it rains.......could it be we will see HEAVY and MUDDY tracks again?
Let's all keep a watch on that main track....and adjust our handiapping accordingly.

Tom
12-15-2005, 07:53 PM
I already made my adjustment....to Tampa Bay! :lol:

twindouble
12-15-2005, 07:55 PM
Even to the point of not having the heavy equipment dry up the track when it rains.......could it be we will see HEAVY and MUDDY tracks again?
Let's all keep a watch on that main track....and adjust our handiapping accordingly.

There's nothing I would like any better to see real track conditions come back.

Niko
12-15-2005, 09:50 PM
I can hear Joe Takach bitching already about having to deal with muddy and off tracks :D

At least he only has to deal with them a few times a year now...notwithstanding last year

toetoe
12-15-2005, 10:48 PM
Joe T., he's a god! He saw me driving away and made a note: front end toeing out.

I'd settle for "good" or "cuppy" tracks as a way of forestalling the advent of Astrodirt. It seems no one else is bugged by it, but I live in dread of the complete homogenization of our beloved game.

linrom1
12-16-2005, 04:00 AM

Anything that can slow down and deepen SA surface is a good thing. I am looking forward to SA meet---10days and counting. Got HRTV :jump:

so.cal.fan
12-16-2005, 11:04 AM
Best of luck to all who will be playing Santa Anita.
:)

RXB
12-16-2005, 11:34 AM
I'd settle for "good" or "cuppy" tracks as a way of forestalling the advent of Astrodirt. It seems no one else is bugged by it, but I live in dread of the complete homogenization of our beloved game.

Given that Polytrack:

a) is much kinder on the horses' legs and feet than dirt, thus reducing catastrophic breakdowns and other injuries;

b) generally plays more fairly than dirt; and

c) requires a lot less of the world's most precious resource-- water-- to maintain,

I count myself as a Polytrack supporter.

so.cal.fan
12-16-2005, 11:41 AM
Interesting, RXB. I respect your opinion, so I'll keep an open mind.
My initial reaction was to say it's no good.....but I am judging with no good opinion.
I'll wait and see.
In the meantime, it sure looks like Santa Anita is going the low maintence route with their main track......due to pressure by big name trainers and owners. We'll wait and see about that as well, again most people in the know are in favor of SA's new policy.

DJofSD
12-16-2005, 08:42 PM
What about the green stuff? How's that looking?

so.cal.fan
12-16-2005, 09:31 PM
Well, I was hoping you wouldn't ask, DJ
I just heard from one of the trainers that they did something to the turf, like re-seeded it.....and it didn't look quite right yet.
They have already announced they will card NO EXTRA turf races to make up for Hollywood Park.
This concerns me. I hope it's nothing we aren't going to like........ :eek:
If anyone hears any solid information.....please let us know.
My husband is over at Hollywood Park right now, but we should find out some information this next week, hopefully. If I hear anything credible....I'll let you all know.

DJofSD
12-16-2005, 09:39 PM
OK, thanks SC.

Now, don't you dare tell me they've decided to drop the calendar give away.

toetoe
12-16-2005, 10:25 PM
RXB,

No offense intended, but we could just race camels on wet sand and reduce injury to an infinitesimal level. I'm not oblivious to the jockeys dying, nor to the horses suffering terribly, but I see the fake stuff as a nice, "safe," mediocrity at this late date.

Tom Barrister
12-16-2005, 10:33 PM
My opinion is that Polytrack will kill pace handicapping biases. We'll all adjust and the game will go on. I think we'll see a lot more form reversals with Polytrack. It's looked like that to me at Turfway so far.

xfile
12-17-2005, 05:51 AM
Given that Polytrack:

a) is much kinder on the horses' legs and feet than dirt, thus reducing catastrophic breakdowns and other injuries;

b) generally plays more fairly than dirt; and

c) requires a lot less of the world's most precious resource-- water-- to maintain,

I count myself as a Polytrack supporter.

The breakdown report for polytracks is fantastic. I would love to see all tracks go to this surface so that we will have far less horses losing their life while trying to run their heart out.

kenwoodallpromos
12-17-2005, 11:26 AM
Maybe a bias against early faders on Polytrack?

so.cal.fan
12-17-2005, 11:32 AM
I think you'll see bias from track to track....just a guess.
It will depend on the shape of the track/turns and even the atmospheric conditions.
It should be interesting if indeed these polytracks become widely used.

PaceAdvantage
12-17-2005, 08:06 PM
The breakdown report for polytracks is fantastic. I would love to see all tracks go to this surface so that we will have far less horses losing their life while trying to run their heart out.

What breakdown report are you talking about? I would love to see such a report....

socantra
12-17-2005, 08:18 PM
I'm not opposed to Polytrack, but I remember that the early reviews on Equitrack at Remington Park were mostly glowing too. It was not til somewhat later that the downside started showing up. I suspect we're going to have to see several years of Polytrack under heavy use and extreme conditions before we know whether its going to make it or not.

As far as playing the game, biases will be different, but will still exist. Horses, jockeys, trainers and handicappers will all adapt. Its way too soon to be reaching conclusions either way.

socantra...

RXB
12-17-2005, 08:24 PM
All I know is, they've put Polytrack in at tracks in England that used to use Equitrack and Fibresand and the improvement is huge according to the English trainers/jockeys. Lingfield's been using it successfully for a few years.

It seems to be holding up nicely at Turfway this winter and except for a bit of kickback early in the meet it was very well received during Turfway's September racing.

so.cal.fan
12-17-2005, 08:26 PM
We've heard positive feedback on these...but like socantra......it's too early to make any conclusions.
They have been using them in England with some positive results, so I read, but don't have any first hand knowledge.
In any event......we will all adjust one way or another....hopefully we will improve our game......let's keep an open mind and be positive.

RXB
12-17-2005, 10:06 PM
Maybe a bias against early faders on Polytrack?

You don't see cheap speed dominating on the Poly the way it does on the dirt. Frontrunners still win a reasonable number of races but if a closer is ready to roll it can get there in time, unlike most dirt tracks.

I hadn't played Turfway for several years. I used to do so poorly there. Now, I'm winning quite nicely.

kenwoodallpromos
12-18-2005, 03:38 AM
PA: "http://www.philly.com/mld/kentucky/sports/columnists/maryjean_wall/12856511.htm".
RXB- are you keeping statistics of tendencies of any kind? How are the horses that run close to evenly timed fractions doing?

xfile
12-18-2005, 05:59 AM
What breakdown report are you talking about? I would love to see such a report....

RXB posted a great link for you. Above what that article has I have heard from several people who have been using the Keeneland training track and those in Europe that Polytrack is VERY kind. Horses just remain more sound on this surface. Albeit "the early results are in" but I see good posibilities here for change in a good and meaningful direction that would save countless lives of our beloved four-legged creatures. :cool:

PaceAdvantage
12-18-2005, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the link

RXB
12-18-2005, 01:09 PM
PA: "http://www.philly.com/mld/kentucky/sports/columnists/maryjean_wall/12856511.htm".
RXB- are you keeping statistics of tendencies of any kind? How are the horses that run close to evenly timed fractions doing?

Ken, I haven't done any energy distribution stuff but I can tell you that after Saturday's card, the horses leading at the 2f mark have won 25 out of 145 races at the TP winter meet. That's 17.2%. Consider that the 2f leaders win 30% of dirt races across North America.

No horse has won wire-to-wire in the last 32 races heading into today's card.

kenwoodallpromos
12-18-2005, 05:03 PM
'cappers are slow learners there- great payoffs for exotics! Pic 6 seems to be won this week with 3 or 4 correct. :eek: :ThmbUp:

so.cal.fan
01-14-2006, 01:50 PM
It sure looks like we are going to get the Poly track at Del Mar.
Santa Anita will not be far behind in putting one in.
All the big money name trainers are pushing for this.
I'm interested in your comment about doing better at Turfway, RXB.
May I ask if you are using class as a more significant angle?
I've been doing so poorly at Santa Anita that I'm actually looking forward to a major change. I couldn't possibly be doing any worse :(
Any tip off on what to focus on will be carefully reviewed and considered by me.
Thanks.

Sailwolf
01-14-2006, 02:28 PM
It sure looks like we are going to get the Poly track at Del Mar.
Santa Anita will not be far behind in putting one in.
All the big money name trainers are pushing for this.

Thanks.

I thought the news was Del Mar was going to consider it. I do not thimk it is not a done deal.

This situation remines me of the time on the front page of DRF was the headline that "fairplex was going to have turf racing" Several years ago.

kenwoodallpromos
01-14-2006, 02:51 PM
Class (stamina); Competitivesness (assertiveness); Physical fitness (form, no big negatives for injury or weariness); lengths in front at 1st call (enough to overcome fading stats?).

so.cal.fan
01-14-2006, 03:09 PM
Sailwolf,
You're right, it is not a done deal, however, from the people who are pushing it, it looks like it is has a very high likelyhood of being approved.
I'm thinking we will see it, as there have been no real bad publicity on the polytracks in operation.

Ken,
Thanks for the tips. Do you play Turfway?

kenwoodallpromos
01-14-2006, 09:11 PM
Please review my ideas for yourself!
I pick a lot more than I bet, but I study and research much. Consistent ITM types are a good chance to be close at the wire and they are fit, fight, and slow to fade.
Anyone hear what Beyer thinks?

linrom1
01-15-2006, 09:07 AM
I the racing industry is pushing strongly for something, it can't be good.

shanta
01-15-2006, 09:10 AM
Joe T., he's a god! He saw me driving away and made a note: front end toeing out.

:lol: :lol: