PDA

View Full Version : NAACP vs Donovan McNabb

Valuist
12-15-2005, 10:49 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-eagles-mcnabb-naacp&prov=ap&type=lgns

Does anyone know what their agenda is here?

GaryG
12-15-2005, 11:09 AM
This could not possibly be part of their agenda...I don't think. Sounds to me like this guy is just a loose cannon upset about losing TO and losing all those games. I have always felt that you can't win big with a "squirrelly" QB. Donovan was becoming a decent QB until the injuries and the TO craziness.

kenwoodallpromos
12-15-2005, 11:11 AM
"-- Donovan McNabb is still taking shots -- the latest from an NAACP leader who criticized the quarterback's leadership skills and said he "played the race card" in explaining why he no longer runs the ball. "
To paint blacks ("colored people") as lazy?

OTM Al
12-15-2005, 12:30 PM
The guy does seem a bit nuts, but I have always felt the NFL was somewhat racially biased in who plays what positions, especially QB, though this could also be due to bias in the steps leading up to there. Seriously I can think of 2 black QBs who were standard, drop back and pass types. Warren Moon, who had to play how long in Canada before he got a shot, and Doug Williams (I think that's his name if i remember right, I'm thinking of the Redskins QB who after winning the Super Bowl was first asked about how it felt to be the first black QB to win....thus making the sportscast even more racially biased, but that is a separate question). Now on the flip side, how many white QB scramblers have you seen recently. Can't think of any off the top of my head. So it does seem to me at least to be a black QB you must be a scrambler. If you are not, then you get to be a wide reciever or DB if you are athletic enough....Randle El of Pittsburgh being a good example of this.

I do have to honestly say I am not a fan of the NFL and part of the reason I feel that way is that I do think there is still an element of racism in the sport itself, if not the league

lsbets
12-15-2005, 12:54 PM
I thought part of what the NAACP is supposed to do is to lift up and celebrate black people who do well and hold them up as examples to emulate. I haven't seen anything about McNabb that would make me think he's a punk or a gang banger, he seems like a pretty normal guy. Maybe if he was a loudmouthed idiot like TO the NAACP would be celebrating him. Seriously, who makes a better role model for kids (like it or not, kids look up to athletes) - McNabb or Owens? Maybe the NAACP would like McNabb better if he adopted the gang banger image of Iverson.

toetoe
12-15-2005, 01:15 PM
Agreed, the guy is nuts.

Al, your charge of racism makes me wonder whether you think it exists in a vacuum. Presumably, racism is everywhere, and maybe your logic would dictate not following anything anywhere, partially because of racism. :confused:

GaryG
12-15-2005, 01:39 PM
There may have been racism in the cases of Warren Moon and Doug Williams, but thst was 20 years ago. There have been enough black QBs come and go where I don't think that charge applies. With a QB that runs around the risk of injury in the NFL is considerable and it seems that most scrambling QBs can't throw the deep ball with any touch. The emphasis is on winning with whatever it takes. Right now guys like Carson Palmer and the Mannings are getting the job done.

lsbets
12-15-2005, 01:43 PM
Here's my take on the free styling srcambling quarterback. WHo was the best one ever? I'd say Randall Cunningham. What happenned with him? Well, the years where the Eagles had the best defense and looked like a Superbowl team, he would get hurt taking too many risks and the team never seemed to live up to its potential. Remember the year he broke his leg? The risk vs. reward is not there to have a quarterback scramble all over the place.

Valuist
12-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Caucasian scramblers? Steve Young is the first that comes to mind. If you go back a few years, Bobby Douglass, arguably the worst passer I've ever seen, also fits, as well as Fran Tarkenton. But true, in recent years, you haven't seen many.

Matt Jones would've fit this role as he was a running QB at Arkansas but Jacksonville converted him to a wide receiver.

rastajenk
12-15-2005, 02:39 PM
Jake Plummer was kind of a scrambler, until he wised up a bit.

OTM Al
12-15-2005, 02:50 PM
Naw toe, it's only one reason I don't care for the game. The main reason is the hypocritical stance the league has on violence. I know its a rough game and guys are going to get hurt, that's just part of the game, but while saying out of one side of their mouth they want to protect players and not have them get hurt, their marketing always is showing some crushing hit or another and they even endorsed some video game a couple years ago where if you hit a guy hard enough he'd catch on fire......

I also am in complete disagreement with the way contracts work. If any sport needed guaranteed contracts its football where a guy is one freak play away from being crippled for life. And then there's the salary cap to go with it so be assured any good team that gets put together anymore is going to end up broken up in a couple years even if they avoid injury.

I also grow tired of the silly dancing around and showboating. My favorite quote coming from a sports related person is from Vince Lombardi when he told his players that when they score a touchdown "Act like you've been there before" To many of these guys have become classless buffoons.

Its also a sport that is so made for TV that it seems sometimes more of a reality type show than a sporting event.....put a 2 minute warning in soccer matches and you'd probably have riots. Package that around constantly playing homophobic beer commercials and you can get a package that becomes almost a parody of itself.

And finally I also got sick of the over emphasis on the name coach and the QB. I always figured that QB could be the best in the world but he'd sure look like crap if he didn't have a good line....but how much do those guys get recognized/payed vs some name brand flash in the pan fresh out of not getting his degree at some football factory....er college.

For me, I may flip a game on when there's nothing else on, but that's about it. I would like to see the Colts run the table so we don't have to hear from those '72 Dolphins anymore (btw guys that mid 80 Bears team was better). I will just stick to my memories of Walter Payton (the best ever. period.) playing his heart out for a bunch of really crappy teams. Perhaps that makes me a bit of a luddite, but I can live with that. Besides, baseball isn't too much further off.....

rastajenk
12-15-2005, 02:54 PM
I always thought that was a Paul Brown quote, but I could be wrong.

Tom
12-15-2005, 08:56 PM
I find the naacp to be a racist organization, whose goals are to divide and proift.

I find them totaly repugnat. What would they do if we has a NAAWP?
A White Caucus in congress? A United White Folks College Fund?
This crap is so obviously crap I can't believe anyone takes them seriously, except morons and other assorted idiots and racists.

Same shoes, dudes. Same shoes.

toetoe
12-15-2005, 09:23 PM
I'm less well informed than I ought to be, but I always saw the NAACP as a benign, ineffectual club trying to feel good about itself. However, I never expected the JJac, Al Charlatan kind of victim-as-cash-cow mentality, or race baiting from the NAACP. I am pretty sure this guy is just off his nut, and don't forget that the temptation must be great to just stay quiet and circle the wagons, Kennedy-style. That may explain why none or few have denounced this character.

Bubbles
12-16-2005, 04:15 PM
My personal favorite part of all this is that the NAACP guy actually said that McNabb should GIVE HIS MONEY TO T.O.!!!!!

I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. For a political leader to criticize football? What experience does this guy have to make him sound credible? None. The only way something's wrong with McNabb is if he's actually WORRIED about this self-important creep...