PDA

View Full Version : My First Racehorse

Steverr1
12-14-2005, 06:00 PM
It seems to some extent, timely and appropriate, to recount my first experience of owning a thoroughbred. The thoroughbred of course is that magnificent animal and perfectly angled machine that can take its owner, trainer, and fellow care takers to the highest peaks and at times haul us all down to the lowest concentration of degenerate losers one can unearth.

It’s timely to relate this experience in part due to the maiden adventure I am about to embark upon, which is in its simplicity, is winning a classic race with my fellow enthusiasts. It’s also fitting to tell of my first frustrations with this magnificent sport, and how humbling it can become even though one believes he has on the whole a judicious business plan for the venture.

Along the story line you may be unfortunate enough to have experienced the same pain and aggravation in your own business endeavors that I experienced in the spring of 1996, but I sincerely hope that is not the situation. Humbling failures are no fun, unless of course, you manage to come back stronger.

<FONT face=Arial size=2>Nevertheless, when you lose badly it’s always hard to believe that any good will ever arise from that depressing state of mind you somehow managed to allow yourself to visit. Personally, I strive to win at every enterprise I attempt and if I fail I am inclined to recall what the former world poker champion Stu Unger once said “ I never wanted to be called a good loser; if you're a good loser, you're still a loser<I>."

Steverr1
12-14-2005, 06:02 PM
<SPAN style="mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt"><FONT face=Arial size=2>I imagine that you will agree there are great difficulties sprinkled along anyone’s path of dreams. New challenges and detours seem to be the plan of the day instead of smooth sailing ahead. Perhaps these obstacles of life really do build character and make us overall better persons.

Steverr1
12-14-2005, 06:03 PM
Well I must be doing something wrong as I can't seem to get the whole story on the post. Oh well..

kenwoodallpromos
12-14-2005, 09:36 PM
Say Steve-
Did you ever buy a cheap router and enter it into a stakes race with a small field just to get 5th place purse? I ask because the Lost In The Fog stakes race I saw at GGF had 3 total entrants! Seems to be an easy way to collect a few clams!