PDA

View Full Version : Exactas vs Trifectas in So. California

so.cal.fan
12-14-2005, 10:04 AM
Several of my local handicapping friends believe that the exactas are now a far better wager in So. Cal. than trifectas.....overlay/square price wise.
Especially when using the favorite.
I know very few of you are interested in So. Cal. racing these days, (can't say that I blame you) however......does anyone have any stats that prove or disprove my friend's theory?

kitts
12-14-2005, 02:05 PM
I have no stats to offer but notice the exotic pools are way larger than WPS so there must be something to it. I think most of the exotic players are savvy folk who use them as an alternate method of improving return on a race they want to crush. I fear the remainder of those in the pools are just plain greedy and care not about probabilities. I was at the track once with a friend and the people next to us hit an exacta for $5k. My friend was impressed but I remarked how that couple is likely to spend the rest of their life chasing another $5k score.

I do urge one to master the skill of picking/betting winners before getting real involved with exotics.

Speaking of SoCal betting, it is hard to do much in a 6 horse field.

so.cal.fan
12-14-2005, 02:15 PM
I think what my friends were implying was that there is more sucker money in the trifectas.......everyone uses the favorite, and they are not using them as heavy in the exactas.
One guy told me that for the past several meets.....this situation comes up with far more overlays in the exactas (with fav.) than the tri's pay in the same race.

JackS
12-14-2005, 03:06 PM
So-Cal, If true, here's a stratagy. Play the legitimate favorite on top only in exactas. The hedge- In the same race, play the favorite in the trifecta in the second slot only.
This may work because if the legitamate favorite is beat, his shot at 2nd should/would be increased by the win percentage of the horse that actually won. If the exacta bets are lost, the chances of hitting the trifecta should be dramatically increased.
PAPER BETS FOR A FEW DAYS TO PROVE OR DISPROVE.