PDA

View Full Version : The rich get richer...

Dr. Carter
12-12-2005, 10:13 PM
You want to know what is killing horseracing in NY (other than NYRA, OTB's, and the poloticians)??? Read the story about Edward Evans sending horses to Pletcher and Dutrow. I always thought that this guy was one of the good guys of the game. Bred good horses, sold some , raced a bunch, never retired them early, was loyal to his trainers and jockeys. But it seems he is like the rest of the herd, sheep led to slaughter at the house of Pletcher and Dutrow. I have no idea why he is making this move but apparently Hennig is still going to be his "main" trainer. Thats like the dreaded vote of confidence. Be sure he is sending the new guys the creme of the crop and the rich get richer. What will happen when every owner in NY has horses with these two? Match races?

Dr. Carter
12-12-2005, 11:08 PM
In addition to my above rant....apparantly getting drug positives is no longer a negative with owners as the 2 trainers that are Evans choices have been involved with the 2 of the biggest drug related stories in NY this year, Dutrows amazing winning rate while doing 60 days and Pletcher seemingly never to serve his 45 days from last year!

p.s. -I'm not a Hennig apoligist but enough is enough. Is Dinny far behind????

Figman
12-12-2005, 11:26 PM
Re: Pletcher - I venture to guess you don't follow the Albany Law School site. See the first item they list - the Dec. 15th agenda for the NYS Racing Board meeting - Item Four
http://www.als.edu/racing/index.cfm

Dr. Carter
12-13-2005, 12:48 PM
Re: Pletcher - I venture to guess you don't follow the Albany Law School site. See the first item they list - the Dec. 15th agenda for the NYS Racing Board meeting - Item Four
http://www.als.edu/racing/index.cfm

Want to make a ML on the outcome?
50-1 more severe penalty
10-1 uphold original suspension and fine
5-1 reduce suspension and fine
8-5 table matter until future meeting
3-5 do nothing

Niko
12-13-2005, 02:31 PM
I'm not judging one way or the other but I was in a similar situation in a work environment with people that claimed not to "be doing anything wrong" although it was blantantly obvious to me.

At some point you realize nothing is going to get done to the people who are taking advantage of the current system, it's hurting your business and income so you come to the conclusion that you have to join them because you lose too much by not doing it. And even though upper management is aware of the problem they don't want to deal with it because it came under their watch, will cost them money and could get very ugly.

I came very close to a similar decision myself but luckily I held out. A new company bought us, two people were fired, they closed down our offices and the President of our division lost his a big severence because he didn't do anything when I presented the evidence to him. Sorry about the venting but it still burns my ass. Hope you're never caught in a similar situation, it sucks.

I can see how and why he felt he had to make the move. He knows that nothing will be done given the current status of the game. And if it does he can always shift to new owners. If you've played this game long enough you know penalties mean nothing (except in some very, very rare instances) and the status will remain as it has unless there's a very big change on top or an extreme catalyst like the Breeders Cup Pick Six scandal. Even the New York investigation won't change much about how horseracing itself is conducted.

Figman
12-13-2005, 05:39 PM
Dear Dr. Carter,
Your morning line is "off-balance!"
It adds up to 127 points.
Do you have a takeout?

Dr. Carter
12-13-2005, 07:20 PM
Dear Dr. Carter,
Your morning line is "off-balance!"
It adds up to 127 points.
Do you have a takeout?

My takeout was too low and I'm waiting for the NYS racing commission and the OTB's to blast me.

Figman
12-13-2005, 07:30 PM
If this was a group bet, I would bet against the two favorites.

Dr. Carter
12-15-2005, 03:10 PM
If you bet uphold the suspension and fine.......you win!!! At 10-1 a real upset!