PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Hawthorne Race 6

Niko
12-12-2005, 01:18 PM
Rolling Sea is 5-1 ML and wins at 28-1. How does something like this happen? I wasn't paying attention to the race until I saw the results pop up on another TV in the race book.

Offshore outfits laying off money on the other horses? People just overlooking the horse and thinking he's dead on the board? I'm not sure if anyone caught this one or why. I could see the horse going off at say 10-1 looking at PP's or maybe a little higher but 25-1.

cj
12-12-2005, 01:24 PM
I still can't believe this horse didn't come down. Didn't bet the race, but it looked bad.

Valuist
12-12-2005, 01:36 PM
Definitely should've been taken down.

Agree that 25-1 was too high but the Haw morning line isn't real accurate. You did have a field of 2YOs inexperienced in going long.

Also, yet another example of the higher priced of an uncoupled entry winning(Richard Hazelton was the trainer).

Niko
12-12-2005, 03:27 PM
After looking at the race replay it would be good to find out the reasoning of why they didn't take him down. Should be an automatic rule that the results charts print the decision and ruling of any inquiry (if there was one).

I wonder how many uncoupled entries are bet by the trainers?

I'm used to 20-1 ML horses going off at 5-1 at Hawthorne, not as used to
5-1 horses going off at 20-1. You're right about the ML there.

Valuist
12-12-2005, 04:03 PM
Some feel that with 2YOs, stewards are more willing to accept "rough play" than with older more experienced runners. Maybe that is what they were thinking. I didn't stand to benefit either way but I was surprised the result stood.

BIG49010
12-12-2005, 06:51 PM
Why do you think they call him King Richard!

FUGITIVE77
12-13-2005, 02:16 AM
I don't know what it was but I almost freaked out when I came home that night and saw the price. I had bet it early bird to win before I left to work thinking I'd get around 7-1 at best. Had I been at the track I certainly would have bet the exactas and the tri at those prices. Then again with all the objections I might of had a heart attack! I was at the track last week when Rolling Sea worked out and listened to the "King" rattle on about her for awhile. Of course that workout and the previous one never made it to the PPs.

betchatoo
12-13-2005, 07:41 AM
I hit the trifecta with this $58 Horse on top, so I was not at all objective, and I think he should have come down

Tom Barrister
12-13-2005, 05:52 PM
The stewards in Illinois don't disqualify horses in stakes races very often.

What's more, for Hazleton to get disqualified, the foul has to be really blatant. This is especially true at Hawthorne late in the year, when he has the option of shipping his stable down south a few weeks sooner. Hazleton doesn't have the giant stable he used to have, but he still packs a bit of punch.

The old joke goes like this:

Steward A: I vote for disqualification.

Steward B: I vote the results stand.

Steward C: I vote the results stand.

Steward A: How can you two not disqualify the horse?

Steward B: Remember the last time we disqualified one of Hazelton's horses?

Steward C: Hmmm..... was it.........1980?

Steward B: 1981. And the next day, all of his horses went to Turf Paradise.

Steward A: But you can't let the jockey get away with that! He pulled out a pistol and SHOT the other horse!

Steward B: Maybe he wanted to clean it, and it accidentally went off.

Steward A: He wanted to clean his gun in the middle of a race?

Steward C: You never know. Jockeys are creatures of impulse.

Steward B: Or maybe he was reaching for his whip and grabbed the gun instead.

Steward C: Or maybe he saw a rabbit in the infield and was aiming at that.

Steward C: You can't allow jockeys to shoot other horses! Not even if they're riding for Hazleton!

Steward B: Look, Jack, did the horse that was shot fall?

Steward A: Well, no.

Steward B: It didn't even bleed much. It looks like a flesh wound to me. It only grazed him.

Steward C: Yep, and we don't know for a fact that the jock shot him on purpose.

Steward A: But the horse that was shot lurched over to the rail. It must have lost 15 lengths because of it.

Steward B: That's not our fault. The horse is supposed to be trained to not pay attention to noises and little things hitting it.

Steward C: Yep. They get hit by dirt all the time.

Steward A: But a bullet isn't a clod of dirt!

Steward C: Look, Jack.....if we disqualify Hazleton's horse, he'll ship all his horses to Florida and Arizona pronto. We're already short of horses as it is. Smaller fields means less handle. Less handle means unhappy owners.

Steward B: And less handle also means unhappy government, and that means unhappy Illinois Racing Board officials, and that means we take heat for it.

Steward C: Which means that we may very well get replaced next year.

Steward B: Which means that YOU, Jack, will have to go back to being an exercise boy for Frank Kirby.

Steward A: Hmmm, well now that you mention it.....it wasn't all THAT bad of a wound. Okay, I vote that the results stand.

Steward C: Good man. (into phone): Peter: we have a unanimous decision: the results stand.......hmm?.....no, I said the results stand......no, I'm not joking......no, I'm serious, we aren't going to disqualify HAZE--EL---TON'S horse........right, thanks Peter.

Steward B: What was that all about?

Steward C: No clue. He must have thought there'd be a disqualification.

Steward A: He did? Some people are pretty dense!

headhawg
12-13-2005, 07:39 PM
Funnier than some sitcom dialogue, Tom B.

Hey, wait a minute. Now there's an idea. A sitcom. Based on horse racing. "Let It Ride" meets "Everybody Loves Raymond". Let's see. We'll need a title. Hmmmm. How about "Stewart's Inquiry"? It's about a guy named Stewart who's ...a racing steward...yeah, that's it. It could be comedy about Stewart's life, struggling with the relationships people at work and at home, questioning the purpose of his being and life in general, getting into hilarious situations like Ralph Kramden in "The Honeymooners".

Or maybe it could be like that show "The Office". Only it will be called "The Track". Oh, the creative juices are flowing now. Let me call my agent. Who's in charge there at NBC now. This could be Must See TV all over again....

You guys don't mind if I take some of the ideas from these recent threads do ya? Wait! Maybe a game show. "Who Wants to be a Millionnaire?". No, that's taken. Something else then....

:lol:

trigger
12-14-2005, 05:59 PM
Very playable on the TG sheets especially at the odds----picked by the Tg analysis.