PDA

View Full Version : Bris or Drf speed figs?

captvancouver
12-11-2005, 05:05 PM
I notice in the comma deleted BRIS multi data base, there are speed ratings for both BRIS and DRF.The ratings are quite different, even after accounting for the different scales used.

I bet mostly western(California and Arizona) tracks.

I have 2 questions.

Which are more accurate , and which figures are the ones the general racing public gets to see?If I use BRIS ppps from BRISNET, I of course, get the BRIS figs. Are these more widely published that the DRF ratings as regards the average bettor?I think this would probably affect how I bet.

And I am in the process of making up my own speed figs.

Thanks for sharing your experience in this regard .I suppose it might be helpful to other readers if you include eastern tracks too, since it is likely that more readers are using eastern tracks.

CaptVancouver

NoDayJob
12-11-2005, 06:16 PM
http://www.chef-de-race.com/pfs/comparative_speed_figs.htm

Do a PA search on speed figures etc. Best of luck.

NDJ [AKA Troll #1]

michiken
12-11-2005, 07:17 PM
If I remember correctly??

The drf speed figures and variants are based on a 1 point per length and are calculated using the fastest time for the distance for the past 3 years at that track. Its been so long since I used them but I think they are not interchangeable between distances.

Bris pace figures use a fixed 2 points for the intermediate calls and a varying point scale for the speed figure. My belief is that bris figs are calculated to the hundreths of a second when the track time is available in that format.

Both Bris speed and pace figs are adjusted for the variant but as you have seen from many of my posts, I calculate other tweaks too. (I do this because sprinters can be over rated when stretching out and vice versa).

My personal observation is that bris figs do not always compare between sprints and routes:

For example, I do not trust high speed figures earned in short < 5.5 furlong sprint races. The energy distribution required for these types of races are high and require a horse to run balls out for the entire race (except maybe for geldings ROFL). In my opinion this inflates figs.

Bris figs are convenient for me as I just do not have enough time to make my own. Perhaps after my handicapping site is done with beta testing and perhaps next month's layoff, I will have more than enough time on my hands to make them...... :eek:

As for the public availability, both require that you purchase them. Since the DRF is sold in newspaper format at most tracks, I would guestimate that their numbers (along with Beyers) are more accessible. I wonder what Andy Beyer thinks about all of his hard work when he sees all the discarded racing forms on the floor after the races?

Handicapping should involve a method that you are comfortable with. Remember figs are just a tool and it is how you intrepret the data that makes you unique. Good Luck with your endeavor.

captvancouver
12-11-2005, 08:42 PM
I am fairly new to this..didn t realize that DRF figs were a max. figure..I like to use last race figs.

Thanks a lot..this gives me a direction to go in.

Regards

The Captain

xfile
12-12-2005, 06:57 PM
The DRF speed figs are VERY raw. I have experimented with both the DRF and BRIS speed ratings in my program. I landed on BRIS figs because they are "good enough" for what I need. The DRF figs needed way too much adjusting. If someone wanted to create their own speed figs then the DRF raw speed fig would be a good starting point. Emphasis on "starting".....But.......Those DRF variants are totally useless in my opinion. Not accurate enough. :cool:

captvancouver
12-15-2005, 02:45 PM
Capt Vancouver