PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know about EBRO Greyhound Park?

so.cal.fan
12-11-2005, 02:12 PM
Near Panama City, Florida?

I have a good friend who is about to adopt a three year old female Greyhound from that track.

Big Bill
12-11-2005, 02:42 PM
so.cal.fan,

You are correct, it is less than an hour drive north of Panama City, and about an hour drive east from Niceville, where I live.

Many years ago I used to drive there for their simulcasting of the Florida thoroughbred meets and they put out a good lunch too. That was before I became aware of pps, wagering, and video availability on the Internet. :)

Big Bill

so.cal.fan
12-11-2005, 02:46 PM
Big Bill?
Do you know if there is anyway to get PP charts from these tracks?

Tom Barrister
12-11-2005, 03:10 PM
Rosnet (http://www.rosnet2000.com) has most greyhound programs, results, etc. You have to make a free account to get them, all you have to provide is a web email address.

so.cal.fan
12-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Thanks, Tom!

so.cal.fan
12-11-2005, 04:21 PM
They haven't got her papers yet, but they think she raced about 80 times.
Went by the name of MVP JUAN PIERRE.......kinda strange name for a female greyhound......
Have any of you Greyhound fans ever heard of this animal?

midnight
12-12-2005, 03:46 AM
Here's a link to your dog, including a picture, pedigree, and racing records:

MVP Juan Pierre (http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=mvp+juan+pierre&sex=f&color=&birthyear=200x&birthland=)

The dog has had exactly 80 races as of 9-24-05, starting at Palm Beach, where it was winless in 19 starts, then going to Ebro, where it had a bit more success, once it was moved from conventional two-turn 5/16 mile races to the three-turn 3/8 mile races.

The dog is approaching four years of age, so she probably is fairly near the end of her career as a racer, although she might be used for breeding.

so.cal.fan
12-12-2005, 09:06 AM
Thanks, Midnight.
My friend is adopting her, she will be moving to a wonderful new home in Florida. These people knew nothing of dog racing.....I thought it might be interesting for them to see her racing career.
Thanks for the PPs. I forwarded them to my friend.
It seems by the past performances that this track ERBO is not a top track?
And the classifications of her wins....D and C......lower grades?

JimG
12-12-2005, 09:55 AM
Thanks, Midnight.
My friend is adopting her, she will be moving to a wonderful new home in Florida. These people knew nothing of dog racing.....I thought it might be interesting for them to see her racing career.
Thanks for the PPs. I forwarded them to my friend.
It seems by the past performances that this track ERBO is not a top track?
And the classifications of her wins....D and C......lower grades?

Ebro is not a top track. About 3rd tier in my opinion. Dog classification at FLA tracks are A to E with A being the best. Some tracks do not run E races, so D is the lowest. When a dog wins he moves up one grade. When he finishes out of the money 3 straight races, he drops a grade. Probably more than you wanted to know.

Jim

so.cal.fan
12-12-2005, 10:17 AM
That's what I figured, Jim
I have never seen a dog race....live.
My husband used to bet on them years ago in England.....he always maintained you could select winning dogs on looks.
I would love to go sometime.
My husband to this day, picks all the winning dogs in dog shows on TV.
It's amazing to me. He says he can just tell by their attitude!
Of course, this gift is much better put to use in horse races.
Thanks again, for your input.

toetoe
12-12-2005, 04:05 PM
Fan,

Unless your friend is totally non-judgemental, be prepared for disdain, especially if you betray a desire to WAGER on the beasts.

JustRalph
12-12-2005, 05:29 PM
she is a beauty.........huh?

http://www.greyhound-data.com/fotos/7/716187big.jpg?time=1133009659

Looks a little like one of my favorite dogs.............

http://img60.exs.cx/img60/9639/moviealbum_cdcoverlarge.jpg

midnight
12-12-2005, 06:21 PM
Tracks use different grading systems. The typical grading system is (AA), A, B, C, D (E) (J) M. AA or A are the top dogs at the track, and D or E are the lowest grade. Most tracks don't use all of these grades, and few use "E" anymore. Some, such as Tucson, use only A B C D M. M(aiden) races are for dogs which haven't won a race (same as the horses), and (J)uvenille races (for dogs who just won their maiden) are for dogs who have only won a maiden race and who hadn't raced in any of the other grades (in other words, if a dog is moved up from M to D, it can't drop down into J later).

A dog moves up one grade when it wins a race and moves down one grade under various conditions, usually if it doesn't finish 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in three consecutive starts (some tracks require four consecutive starts at certain grades). A dog can't move downward into J or M races. Some tracks also move a dog down if it has no more than one 3rd place finish in four starts. Some tracks will ban a dog from racing at the meet if it can't finish 3rd or better in six consecutive starts at its bottom level.

MVP Juan Pierre was of modest pedigree and had a equally modest career. She started at Palm Beach, a top level track, racing in maiden without winning, until the trainer moved her up to D, where she also didn't win. She was moved to Ebro, a level-three track, where she had a bit more success, then was finally moved to three-turn races (roughly 3/8 mile), where she did beter. Her career stats were 78 races, 6 wins, 12 seconds, 6 thirds, and 11 fourths. Random for 80 races would be about 10 of each, so her record was a bit below par. She spent most of her career in D and C races; five of her wins were in D, one in C. She raced briefly in B company.

Overall from the comments, it looks like she was a midtrack/wide runner (preferred the middle of the track to the rail) and liked to race in or close to the front.

You can find all of that from the link I posted earlier.

The dog apparently wasn't earning her keep (in the trainer or owner's mind), and she was one of the lucky ones who found a home after her racing usefulness ended. Greyhounds do make good pets.

Paging
12-13-2005, 02:20 AM
MVP Juan Pierre was of modest pedigree and had a equally modest career. She started at Palm Beach, a top level track, racing in maiden without winning, until the trainer moved her up to D, where she also didn't win.

Greyhounds do make good pets.

Anyone that adopts a retired greyhound can go to the following link

http://www.networksplus.net/nga/petcert.htm

and get a certificate from the NGA (National Greyhound Association).

I wouldn't label MVP Juan Pierre necessarily of being modest pedigree. Her most recent - perhaps. But, going back a few generations she's nicely bred. Molotov was a monster in Colorado who only lost one race in his career which was his last race when he broke a leg. BJ's Justin was a very high producing sire for many years. Buzz Off was a top dam of Beckners. On the dam side Mi Designer was a very nice dog - his claim to fame was a crooked or "Roman Nose". Rv Snowlady was a marathon monster in South Florida who ran some of the most exciting marathon races with her big late kick.

The reason she was in grade D was a result of trying her over 3/8ths vs 5/16ths. PBKC runs very few 3/8th maiden races if any these days. Therefore the only option to try her over the 3/8ths course required her to go to D.

I do agree greyhounds make great pets. :)

BIG RED
12-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Nice picture midnight. She looks nice, good front shoulders and heavy chest(breast).
Hope it works out well for them so.cal.fan.

Ralph, thanx, have to do another total virus sweep :D