PDA

View Full Version : how many winners

orlando
12-10-2005, 09:40 PM
dear PA a question ? what would you say if we or you set up a thread that would ask a couple questions.. Like 1- how many players have made,lets say
5k-10k this year and 10k-20k, 21k-30k, 31k-40k, 41k-50k and so on, there are
2,324 members this way if there honest? we will see how many players are making money and get idea of the percentage players that are winning in this game. I know the sample is small but its a start. what do you think and what do the gentlemen of the board think? Please add to this there may be other questions. thanks orlando

kenwoodallpromos
12-10-2005, 09:51 PM
You can set up your own poll- maybe on General Racing. But some may need your exact definition of "made". Gross or net? You may want to check similar polls.
Polls are a good reflection of the 100-200 that may answer them. I would guess there are 1,500 different members of PA- some member listings are the same people.
The good news is poll answering is anonymous so no one has to be afraid of the IRS or state tax agencies. Go for it! :ThmbUp: :cool: :jump:

PaceAdvantage
12-10-2005, 10:13 PM
Your first mistake was that you made this poll so that others can see who actually voted what....I will correct that mistake now....

PaceAdvantage
12-10-2005, 10:15 PM
OK, looks like I can't correct the fact that the responses are public....you're on your own....lol

twindouble
12-10-2005, 10:20 PM
dear PA a question ? what would you say if we or you set up a thread that would ask a couple questions.. Like 1- how many players have made,lets say
5k-10k this year and 10k-20k, 21k-30k, 31k-40k, 41k-50k and so on, there are
2,324 members this way if there honest? we will see how many players are making money and get idea of the percentage players that are winning in this game. I know the sample is small but its a start. what do you think and what do the gentlemen of the board think? Please add to this there may be other questions. thanks orlando

All I can say is, I posted in detail just one MO, just to show one could have a low win % and still make money, right away it was put to the test with questions that bordered on me making it up. So, I won't do that again. Like Steve, I was going to post the signers to PA but even that don't prove anything, get a stack of them every year and it wouldn't reflect the cash I lost at OTB betting the pick 6 or what I cashed at the windows. Plus I agree with Kenwoodall. Not only that, the wife would kill me if I posted my tax returns, that's no one's business.

I would rather have a race of the week here, we can all handicap it, give our reasons for liking the horses and a rundown or comments on the rest of the field, then apply your wagering strategy for all to see. I have another reason for suggesting this, that is I want to see how these handicapping programs work and other computer systems that produce speed and pace figures.

T.D.

Dave Schwartz
12-10-2005, 10:24 PM
Oops.

I would not have responded if I had known it was public.

Should have read PA's response first.

Dave Schwartz

Zaf
12-10-2005, 10:40 PM
Dave,

looks like you are having a pretty good year ;)

Z

rokitman
12-10-2005, 10:49 PM
Take it down and a start it over, so I can lie in anonymity :cool:

Zaf
12-10-2005, 10:51 PM
Orlando,

You left out the 75K + bracket, so therefore I was unable to vote :lol:

Z

twindouble
12-10-2005, 10:54 PM
When I posted that one MO, I just took averages because I don't keep records like some do here, seems like a pain to me, I just go by the condition of my bankroll so for the year I could only guess at it. I could list what I purchased with track money, that's not peanuts. They are all assets I still have and the bankroll is still in good shape.

PaceAdvantage
12-10-2005, 11:02 PM
OK, I closed the poll, and erased the results, because, apparently, some folks were under the assumption that the answers would remain anonymous, when in fact, they were not.

For those who create polls, you should realize you have a choice whether or not to make public the actual responses. In a poll such as this one, you should make sure you make the responses ANONYMOUS!

dancingbrave
12-11-2005, 11:58 AM
you left out the minus bracket which is most of the people here.

kenwoodallpromos
12-11-2005, 12:58 PM
Maybe I do not understand what a gross return is. I thought it was the total of all money returned including original $2. I thought only my brother figured out how to get nothing back and still owe money!LOL!

NoDayJob
12-11-2005, 03:41 PM
:lol: Don't forget the $1,000,000 and up catagory. Make sure that participants post their federal and state (if applicable) tax returns too! :lol:

NDJ [AKA Troll #1] now running for skeptic #1

GaryG
12-11-2005, 04:37 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

kenwoodallpromos
12-11-2005, 06:27 PM
We need a poll on the Gross Gross amount we have bet in our lifetime- so we can all feel like millionaires!LOL!

NoDayJob
12-11-2005, 06:32 PM
:lol: Better yet, let's add up the total amount of lifetime bets by all those who reply. I bet it's more than thrice SR's net worth. :lol:

orlando
12-11-2005, 09:33 PM
I love you guys. I tell you i get alot of laughts,come on guys just trying to see if there is away to determine how many winners on this board :) so please be nice gents if they dont close my next poll would some one what to
set one up?

how cliche
12-11-2005, 09:49 PM
I'm not too big for my britches to admit I'm having a crummy year, my worst in six. I posted at one point that prime plays I can prove to win beyond a reasonable doubt occur for me one to three times a year. I haven't had one this year. Not one. I'm left with only one horse who can possibly make it through the preps and be proven to win & the way things have gone I doubt this will happen before '06.

My win percentage for the year is right where it always is 22%, but without a big horse that's always going to leave me with a minor profit or loss. I've had my hot and cold seasons while playing this year. I had a miserable 0 fer period in the 1st quarter. The 2nd quarter started off with the bang of a big win, but quickly declined. The 3rd quarter was the best. I was clicking at over 40% & I had two days where I hit all my bets. The final quarter has been bad with the exception of The BC. I've had the occasional win, but more often it's been a long string of lost photos and close losses since it. I think about this year and had I been betting win/place, I'd be much further ahead than where I am now with little time left. The pragmatist in me says to do just that. The macho obvious guy in me says that either my runner wins or he doesn't. More often than not he hasn't been.

I'm so frustrated with all the place horses that I'm taking a little time off. I just took 3 weeks off and am gonna take another two, unless my horse comes up in that time.

I hope each and every one of you has had an easier time of it than I have in '05. I've been leaving myself in a position to win time and again. It just seems for some reason my runners are not getting up in time, losing head bobs, not holding on, etc. This game is hard & I'm not as good as I once thought.

twindouble
12-12-2005, 01:00 AM
how cliche;

"I hope each and every one of you has had an easier time of it than I have in '05. I've been leaving myself in a position to win time and again. It just seems for some reason my runners are not getting up in time, losing head bobs, not holding on, etc. This game is hard & I'm not as good as I once thought." Quote;

You have to stop and think about how good your handicapping is, ESP if the horses that just not getting up, hd's nk's, halfs or a legnth plus they have value, to me that's not the time to back off. When I'm right there with value, my confidence builds.

Good luck,

T.D.

kenwoodallpromos
12-12-2005, 11:32 AM
Don't give up. The 10% winners on here will surface if you keep reading posts. Most overall industry estimates say 5% winners in the betting public.
Tha main thing I want to know here is who has the next good idea they are willing to share?
Why don't you start a poll asking how many are willing to share if they have a winning idea?
I'll start- Bet a jockey other than the one who is standing up the entire race. I've seen that twice recently.

Niko
12-12-2005, 11:53 AM
how cliche;

I feel your pain man!! The last 1/2 of the year has been horrible for me, enduring my worst losing streak and not catching those couple prices I usually get to put me up. I thought I knew what I was doing (but not to the extent of the truly succesful on this board) but now I feel like I don't know crap so I'm re-evaluating what's going on and trying to get my head straight before next year. I've had to make a transition before and now I may have to make a slight adjustment again.

I'd say if you're really getting a lot of close seconds I wouldn't worry because they should even out over time. Maybe it's the percentages catching up with you or vice versa. Otherwise take a step back and look at the losses to see if there's a common denominator in them (track, running style, distance) that may be putting you on the second best horse.

cj
12-12-2005, 11:55 AM
...Bet a jockey other than the one who is standing up the entire race. I've seen that twice recently.

I'll do that next time I'm allowed to bet after the entire race has been run.

kenwoodallpromos
12-12-2005, 12:19 PM
What happened- could not find any mispilled words?
Just for those who need a clearer expaination- If you ever see a jockey standing up in the irons for an entire race, never bet that jockey again during that meat. Unless they let you bet after the race and the jockey wins. :lol:

NoDayJob
12-12-2005, 10:48 PM
I love you guys. I tell you i get alot of laughts,come on guys just trying to see if there is away to determine how many winners on this board :) so please be nice gents if they dont close my next poll would some one what to
set one up?

:lol: Don't trust any poll regarding handicappers. Reason: They all tell fish stories. Unless you have personal knowledge of their tax returns it's going to be a waste of time. Look at it this way... would you tell a bunch of strangers how much money you make at you vocation? Probably your wife and kids don't know how much you make. So a stranger? Come on, get real. Besides, Roper and Zogby ain't doin' any handicapper polls. BTW, I ain't showin' my returns to anyone outside of family, CPA and the tax man. In this business a LOW profile is best :lol:

P.S. Most people who fill out a credit card app will say they make more than they actually do. Why? Because the credit card companies rarely check employers to verify salaries.

dancingbrave
12-13-2005, 08:19 AM
what's the point of the poll if it's not net profits/losses anyway?