PDA

View Full Version : Santos Amazes

toetoe
12-10-2005, 04:04 PM
If you like a horse that's stuck with Jose Santos, take heart. If he's the best horse at a huge price, if he has an inside post on turf, AND if it looks certain that he'll be stuck on the rail all the way around, you'll have a darn good bet.

The ride on Evening Attire is a horse of another color. Horrible start, not too surprising. The Santos Chokehold is implied at this point. Around the first turn and onto the backstretch, the horse elates his backers by moving up on his own, into turf marathon-type fractions, despite the Full Nelson, or shall I say the Full Santos? Okay, now that he's joined the pack three-wide, don't go for the lead or try to secure the rail, to swing out in late stretch and see how much horse he has left. Oh, no. That would ruin the plan, which is to urge him, for the first and only time, onto the four-wide treadmill to nowhere on the far turn. It's not that hard to stay inside, out of trouble, and one-paced with something left, in a five-horse field, is it? :confused:

46zilzal
12-10-2005, 04:10 PM
If you like a horse that's stuck with Jose Santos, take heart. If he's the best horse at a huge price, if he has an inside post on turf, AND if it looks certain that he'll be stuck on the rail all the way around, you'll have a darn good bet.

The ride on Evening Attire is a horse of another color. Horrible start, not too surprising.
One man's trash is another man's treasure...see the thread on Eibar Coa.....we both posted within minutes of each other.

cj
12-10-2005, 04:19 PM
The horse had virtually no shot after that start. If you want to blame Santos for that, fine, but the rest was irrelevant.

toetoe
12-10-2005, 04:54 PM
cj,

EA has had horrible starts and still run decently. Why give him the stranglehold when he's doing the one thing that can overcome a bad start --- moving up on his own? I'm saying he should maximize the horse's chances in this special situation, and do some fast-on-his-feet thinking. By the way, this horse has developed a tad of early speed, and maybe that should be encouraged.

46zilzal
12-10-2005, 05:00 PM
That horse is a KNOWN strech runner with a style that has shown very limited adaptability. NO ONE wanted the lead in that contest as the fractions and the actions of the riders attest. They were ALL mugging the horses for a single run.

chrisg
12-10-2005, 05:34 PM
I strongly suggest writing/emailing NYRA and having Santos banned or at least suspended.

This sport has no integrity; it's time it did.

toetoe
12-10-2005, 05:38 PM
EA showed willingness early. I say, put PVal on, watch him wire 'em. MMMaybe. :confused:

46zilzal
12-10-2005, 05:47 PM
EA showed willingness early. I say, put PVal on, watch him wire 'em. MMMaybe. :confused:
once you markedly alter a runner's style, particularly in one like this one, a known ONE RUN HORSE, the simply don't do well. Many many studies have shown this with Borhamer's and Sartin's leading the way.....

46zilzal
12-10-2005, 05:51 PM
each time this animal ran as a presser: pp lines 3,4,6,10 he ran 4th, 3rd, 6th, and 4th

toetoe
12-10-2005, 06:19 PM
Relatively speaking, he's not doing well now. Maybe easier company? These weren't monsters, either. Anyway, I see your point, and I don't want the last word.

the little guy
12-10-2005, 06:33 PM
I strongly suggest writing/emailing NYRA and having Santos banned or at least suspended.

This sport has no integrity; it's time it did.

Do you have the number we can call to get the jockeys of our choice banned? While I'm sure it's hard to get through I'm willing to give it a try.

toetoe
12-10-2005, 07:35 PM
I'm a fair man. How about, "Jose Santos will be running for purse money only?" And as for Samyn, let's pass the hat and pay him to stay in the jockeys' room. :)

rrpic6
12-11-2005, 07:18 AM
Was Pat Day banned? Nice not to see his name next to any Jockey entry info. I wish I'd given all the money I lost on him to charity. The Fairgrounds would be up and running if that were the case.

Tom
12-11-2005, 12:05 PM
Survivor: Racetrack.

After each race, we all get to vote on who to ban.

Jeff Probst can take the mic and say, "The crowd has spoken, it's time for you to go!"

(exit music fades in....)