PDA

View Full Version : Triple Crown Dilemma

tholl
12-10-2005, 09:00 AM
Had to put my two cents in..

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/editorial/article.cgi?id=3053

Snow Chief
12-10-2005, 08:40 PM
Excellent piece. I do not support any changes to the Triple Crown. "Short Term" or "Temporary" changes are never that. We need to reverse the decrepitude of the modern thoroughbred, we will not accomplish that by lowering standards. To encourage breeders to breed stouter horses, there has to be more money in longer races.

Polytrack and no raceday medication will also be good for the horses.

kenwoodallpromos
12-10-2005, 09:10 PM
Great because it addresses 2 of the problems I have come to realize are hurting the breed.
I think horsemen are just beginning to realize that track dynamics make a big difference in the physical soundness in horses. The meds used to cover up problems or potential problems just cloud and cover up the issue.
My view to put it very simply- Bute covers up the early warning of pain; Salix covers up a horse's heart being tax greatly (overworked).
If horses in past decades worked and raced more often without as much pain or bleeding then watering down the breed is a concern. I know they race 70% more times average per year prior to 1975.
The biggest question is- will the betting public accept slower times such as Polytrack produces?
I know sonme of you do not put much stock in individual or total track workouts, but just check Equibase workouts for Turfway Park and post what you think.

kenwoodallpromos
12-10-2005, 09:28 PM
http://www.chrb.ca.gov/press_releases/2005_12_01_press_release.pdf
Will slow downs be the rule at Emerald Downs, Gulfstream, Lone Star?
I do not mind at all.