PDA

View Full Version : If there is one golden rule for winning it is this

RaceIsClosed
12-09-2005, 08:35 PM
THROW OUT THE CHALK*

*unless you have a damn good reason not to.

This is pretty much what I do for every race. I just begin by tossing the chalk from one of the top two slots, thus assuring me of an inflated payoff if I'm right. Sometimes I'll toss the top two, three, or even top four chalks and take large tickets on several horses based on a logical outcome if the chalk I toss doesn't fire.

It seems that almost every winning player here winds up throwing out chalk one way or another.

BetHorses!
12-09-2005, 08:37 PM
Stop educating the lurkers :)

RXB
12-09-2005, 08:52 PM
THROW OUT THE CHALK*

Rxb's Golden Rule:

PASS THE RACE*

Rxb's rule is the hardest (and most important) for the majority of bettors to heed.

twindouble
12-09-2005, 08:55 PM
THROW OUT THE CHALK*

This is pretty much what I do for every race. I just begin by tossing the chalk from one of the top two slots, thus assuring me of an inflated payoff if I'm right. Sometimes I'll toss the top two, three, or even top four chalks and take large tickets on several horses based on a logical outcome if the chalk I toss doesn't fire.

It seems that almost every winning player here winds up throwing out chalk one way or another.

Yes, don't have any Golden Rules.

Suff
12-09-2005, 09:01 PM
Stop educating the lurkers :)

This is my first post. What is a Tri-Actor? and an Exa-Tor?

I'm from Canada and went to my first horsey race last weekend with my grandma-ma.

any advice?

John
12-09-2005, 09:08 PM
HEY SUFF!!!

Nice to hear from you. Everything all right.

twindouble
12-09-2005, 09:19 PM
THROW OUT THE CHALK*

Sorry Race, I was jumping around and I missed what's in bold. I don't get into a race armed with rules, that's what I meant. I think it's a mistake to do that, best to keep an open mind.

RXB
12-09-2005, 09:34 PM
This is my first post. What is a Tri-Actor? and an Exa-Tor?

I'm from Canada and went to my first horsey race last weekend with my grandma-ma.

any advice?

Well, let me help you then, my little compatriot.

An exactor is a wager that makes your grandma-ma very upset because her horses always finish first and third whenever she bets it.

A triactor is a wager that makes your grandma-ma very upset because her horses always finish first, second and fourth whenever she bets it.

Now, it's 9:30 pm where you are, and that's wayyyyyyy past bedtime for somebody your age. Off you go. Nighty-night.

RaceIsClosed
12-09-2005, 09:46 PM
Sorry Race, I was jumping around and I missed what's in bold. I don't get into a race armed with rules, that's what I meant. I think it's a mistake to do that, best to keep an open mind.

That's about the only real rule I have, and it's never failed me for long.

The prices you get in the exotics when the 17-1 zips in front of your three logical selections can make up for a lot.

twindouble
12-09-2005, 09:56 PM
That's about the only real rule I have, and it's never failed me for long.

The prices you get in the exotics when the 17-1 zips in front of your three logical selections can make up for a lot.

Like you said, have a dam good reason to toss the chalk. Every handicapper historicaly looks for vulnerable chalks but with the gimmicks, one can make money by not tossing the chalk right out if he looks compitive enough to hit the board. For example, a 6/5 shot running second with anything of value can be a good payday, better yet if they run 3rd or 4th in a super.

kenwoodallpromos
12-09-2005, 09:57 PM
If I toss the favorite, I better know when to toss the whole race!
There are any number of races I would not bet against the favorite but the odds make it too risky to bet on it. I like a lot of horses at 4/5 odds.

twindouble
12-09-2005, 10:44 PM
If I toss the favorite, I better know when to toss the whole race!
There are any number of races I would not bet against the favorite but the odds make it too risky to bet on it. I like a lot of horses at 4/5 odds.

I think many players don't know how to evaluate a race to determin if it's a good wagering race or one to pass on. I'll say this, in most cases I'm right to pass, it's a matter of risk assessment to me. I was getting in to that on the Beginners Thread but it died on the vine. No, there's no golden rules when it comes to risk assessement, just guide lines.

I don't wager heavly one young horses, it most cases I pass on 2yo races, sometime I'm forced to use them in the picks but you can be sure I have key horses in other races so I can go deep in the 2yo race. When the investment puts to much pressure on my bankroll in the pick 6, I'll pass. Here's another, I don't bet heavy on deep closers, I'll use them in the gimmicks as fillers, when I bet real money on a horse, I want him to be able to get free of trouble to to run a clean race, not thead the needle 4 times going wide or getting shut out along the way. There is times when deep closers can win easly but that's when class is the dominant factor.

mudnturf
12-09-2005, 11:09 PM
Yes, don't have any Golden Rules.

I didn't.....until I learned the hard way that if I play exotics, which I often do, and the horse I like best is going off at a "nice price" (**), I'd better back him in the WIN POOL with 50% (approx.) of my total wager.
I was frequently burned when my key won but those I used underneath failed to complete my play.

(**) For me it's 5-1 or more.

twindouble
12-09-2005, 11:19 PM
I didn't.....until I learned the hard way that if I play exotics, which I often do, and the horse I like best is going off at a "nice price" (**), I'd better back him in the WIN POOL with 50% (approx.) of my total wager.
I was frequently burned when my key won but those I used underneath failed to complete my play.

Yes, it's a good habit to get into, bet the horse you like to win. :cool:

twindouble
12-10-2005, 12:18 AM

mudnturf; I didn't mean to come off like a wise guy, just throw things out off the top of my head. We all develope are wagering strategy by the mistakes we make along the way, some catch them quicker than others. I've had my share.

Overlay
12-10-2005, 04:42 AM
Just because a horse is a favorite doesn't mean it can't offer betting value, also. The same applies to any other broad category of horses that handicappers generally (or automatically) toss out. Assess the winning chances of all horses and combinations, and bet overlays, according to the degree of value they represent.

RaceIsClosed
12-10-2005, 06:18 AM
Yes, it's a good habit to get into, bet the horse you like to win. :cool:

Exotic betting is generally more profitable if you have an edge in the win pool.

Say you like two 5-1 shots. Betting both to win gets you 2-1 on the "entry," but boxing them in the exacta can get you back $50 for a $1 box.

To the guy who said favorites can be valuable in the exotics over prices, in that case you're tossing the chalk from the second slot.

Buckeye
12-10-2005, 11:27 AM
Throw them out (the chalk) if you want to, AND they'll still win often.

It's a fact of life.