PDA

View Full Version : Beyer on knowing oneself

46zilzal
12-09-2005, 05:25 PM
PBS show FRONTLINE, many years back, did a show called "The Other Side of the Track" and Andrew Beyer was featured and a real turism was uttered which I have next to the computer all the time. "If you have a chink in your psychological armor, this game will find it and exlpoit it if you are not careful."

True today as it was then.

the little guy
12-09-2005, 05:33 PM
Beyer has said a lot of interesting things over the years but none has stuck with me like that line.

Wasn't that Frontline great? The segment about the Great Barrington Fair races was incredible. I can still remember that trainer saying " I don't think some of these races are fixed.....I know they are ". Great stuff.

46zilzal
12-09-2005, 06:00 PM
still have the tape. Wasn't that guy The Beard something else??

the little guy
12-09-2005, 06:43 PM
I don't remember who was on from Barrington. I know the guys Beyer talks about in " My $50,000 Year " that he goes to Barrington with but I doubt they're on the show.

You still have the tape? I'm jealous. Doesn't Beyer need a Veitch horse in the Double at Belmont?

46zilzal
12-09-2005, 07:11 PM
I don't remember who was on from Barrington. I know the guys Beyer talks about in " My $50,000 Year " that he goes to Barrington with but I doubt they're on the show.

You still have the tape? I'm jealous. Doesn't Beyer need a Veitch horse in the Double at Belmont?

He goes on about HATING a horse called Chopper Charie as he lectures to the Belmont crowd but gets nosed by a horse he has not considered.

This guy has SOME KIND of facial tick! I wouldn't want to be near him during a race with all those body English moves he makes.

Suff
12-09-2005, 07:31 PM
stop talking abot massachusetts or I Will pick up the phone

karlskorner
12-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Richie " The Beard " is still around, he and Toby Colet hand time the races for CRC and GP

hdcper
12-10-2005, 12:53 AM
I like when Andy said something like, I got a horse tomorrow that will make me King of the World.

Funny, I still have it on tape too, and the original copy was actually Beta which I transferred to VHS.

I just might have to find it and take another look!

Great memories,

Bill (hdcper)

Wiley
12-10-2005, 01:29 AM
I remember that Frontline and think I too still have it on tape somewhere. What a great one with many great characters. It really gets the flavor of the game right.
Who was the guy who had the research/handicapping service possibly a precusor to/or was the Sheets/Ragozin maybe? I remember him saying he loved American folk music about racing and he pulls out the banjo and starts singing 'There was a horse named Seabeau who was a white horse but they painted him redddddddd! Painted him red.' Loved that. Early larceny. Need to take a look for that tape. Thanks. :ThmbUp:

46zilzal
12-10-2005, 01:32 AM
that was Len Ragozin singing about Stuball in that tape

Wiley
12-10-2005, 08:44 AM
Stuball! and that was Ragozin. Thanks.