PDA

View Full Version : No entries at Hollywood Park

so.cal.fan
06-29-2002, 07:59 PM
The trainers all got together and boycotted the booth this morning. As of 5:00 pm pdt, no entries.
They are protesting the cost of workman's comp insurance they pay. July 1st it all goes up, considerably.
They want the State to help defer the costs, the State has the funds but is dragging their heels.
We shall see if they(the trainers) all stick together and get what they want.
They will take entries again tomorrow, and probably Monday.
If they don't fill by then........probably no Wed. racing.
(not that anyone would miss it).

superfecta
06-29-2002, 08:11 PM
I might miss the racing ,but let them do it.Its not right the horseracing industry picks up the tab on something like a raise in workmans comp.The misery needs to be spread around more uniformly.Maybe a few days of missed income from the tracks will show the state that they need horseracing more than they think.

rrbauer
06-29-2002, 08:46 PM
Go Trainers Go!

(I need a vacation!)

:)

Tom
06-29-2002, 10:16 PM
Maybe if the state would just "bleed" our sport a little less, everyone could pay their bills.

cj
06-29-2002, 10:26 PM
You guys sure its a boycott, a normal Hollywood weekday card doesn't draw many more horses than 0 per race anyway!

CJ

so.cal.fan
06-30-2002, 11:14 AM
The trainers who are leading this boycott, said they will probably not race on Wednesday.
The problem is making it stick, if they won't stick together.
They never do.
If you are an owner, paying So. Cal. trainers up to $100 dollars a day to train each horse......you aren't going to let those horses miss too many potential purses.
The argument will be......independent contractors are responsible for their own insurance. The State will balk at paying.
I don't know what the answer will be, it is a tough situation.
I don't think they will race Wed. After that.................

so.cal.fan
06-30-2002, 02:00 PM
Just got a call from Hollywood Park.
They got a stay on the insurance issue, and they are taking entries now for Wednesday and Thursday.
Money talks.

rrbauer
06-30-2002, 08:52 PM
Oh! Good!

Back to our 5- and 6-horse fields.

Can't wait!

so.cal.fan
06-30-2002, 09:35 PM
I hear ya, RB.
Grim.:(