PDA

View Full Version : Dean's Right

Bobby
12-05-2005, 10:46 PM
There's no way we win in IRAQ. IF the US leaves, its a theocracy in 5 years. The same is true in Afghanistan.

Iraq is still, in 2005, a tribal country. And you think some democracy is gonna work? SOme of you guys are out of your mind.

You guys think the good ole US of A can fix 2000 years of ethnic conflict and tribal dispute in a matter of a few years....

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=C36A87B9-63A0-4CDE-AA91-B41571AFD3AF

lsbets
12-05-2005, 10:51 PM
Dean's right? He's an idiot. Bobby - do you get your insight into the war from the Enquirer?

doophus
12-05-2005, 10:56 PM
Bobby

That wasn't you they caught climbing the west fence at WH?

If yes, give me your lawyer's name.

kenwoodallpromos
12-05-2005, 11:40 PM
"You guys think the good ole US of A can fix 2000 years of ethnic conflict and tribal dispute in a matter of a few years...."
Actually, England did that when they began the African slave trade. But in Iraq we are not doing anything that radical.

Indulto
12-06-2005, 04:15 AM
I find it easier to read most of what Dean has to say than to listen to him say it. What is it about bedside manner that he and Sen. Frist just don’t get? Do either of them understand the concept, “First, do no harm?” From the linked article, it appears that Dean may finally be offering more realistic solutions to the problems that justifiably fuel his attacks.

Secretariat
12-06-2005, 11:29 PM
"You guys think the good ole US of A can fix 2000 years of ethnic conflict and tribal dispute in a matter of a few years...."
A

Thank you ken. ... We went there to disarm Saddam of WMD's - NOT to "fix 2000 years of ethnic conflcit and tribal disputes".

Get the hell out, and let Iraqis try for another 2000 years.

.................................................. .........

"The White House wants us to have a permanent commitment to Iraq. This is an Iraqi problem. President Bush got rid of Saddam Hussein and that was a great thing, but that could have been done in a very different way. But now that we're there we need to figure out how to leave. 80% of Iraqis want us to leave, and it's their country." - Howard Dean

Tom
12-06-2005, 11:58 PM
What a whinney little loser - just walk out and let the people fall back under the thumbs of maniacs. You might pay attention to the fact that most attacks there aron Iraqii's, not us. I say split tham damn plce into three sections - like Germany in WWII, isolate each, and shoot the damn sunnis when they start getting uppity.

DJofSD
12-07-2005, 01:00 AM
Damn - I thought this thread would be about how Jimmy makes his sausages.

highnote
12-07-2005, 06:10 AM
In order to hold Iraq together a ruler with an iron fist is going to be required to keep all the factions under control. Democracy ain't gonna be enough. Democracy didn't work in Russia, Czechoslovakia, Croatia, etc. It's a longshot that it will work in Iraq. If I was a betting man :D , I'd say it is an underlay.

IMO stability in Iraq requires a ruthless dictator not a democracy. That is why Saddam was effective. The big mistake Saddam made was that he tried to kill Bush Sr. He probably didn't plan on Bush Jr. getting elected so soon and seeking revenge as one of the benefits of invading Iraq. He also didn't count on 911.

I think it is dubious that a U.S. presence in Iraq and a democracy is going to bring long term stability to their country. There are other peaceful nations in the middle east -- how many of them are democracies? How many of them are thinking of switching to a democracy? Then again, if they're peaceful and don't pose a threat, then why switch, right?

Unfortunately, I don't see many good alternatives for the U.S. in Iraq. International politics requires choices between the lesser of evils. So I see us in a quagmire until something starts to give which influences our actions. Maybe they will run out of suicide bombers or just get tired of their sons and daughters blowing themselves up so that democracy will take hold. But how long will it take and what price are we willing to pay -- in U.S. lives and dollars?

JustRalph
12-07-2005, 07:59 AM
Damn - I thought this thread would be about how Jimmy makes his sausages.

Hang on.......... I am waiting to post a link to an MP3 of " Big John" you know, Big Bad John!

Lefty
12-07-2005, 11:53 AM
I guess now we know why that no dem since FDR has been able to win a war.

GaryG
12-07-2005, 12:07 PM
I guess now we know why that no dem since FDR has been able to win a war.
Make that Harry Truman....he had the huevos to nuke the bastards. One thing FDR was sure right about, this IS a day that will live in infamy. Let us not forget.

Lefty
12-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Gary, right you are. Truman had the stones to do what few men could do. It saved millions of lives. I suspect if he had been a Repub the Dems of today would be calling him a war criminal.

highnote
12-07-2005, 03:21 PM
It must have been an excruciating decision to drop the bomb. However, knowing that thousands of U.S. soldiers lives could be lost it was a lesser of evils choice.

It is similar to what we face in Iraq in that if we pull out all hell will break loose and thousands upon thousands will die. If we stay the course (however long it might be) we may loose another thousand soldiers. Which is worse? You have to choose the lesser of evils.