PDA

View Full Version : What are the benefits of race day medication?

Snow Chief
12-04-2005, 03:01 PM
There are plenty of studies out there why they are bad, what are the arguments for Lasix, etc. (Besides vets who want the money and horsemen who want to use the drugs to cheat)

cj
12-04-2005, 03:04 PM
I think the most obvious is they permit horses to run faster than they would without them.

sjk
12-04-2005, 03:13 PM
It helps prevent bleeding which is a serious health issue which can render a horse unable to compete.

kenwoodallpromos
12-04-2005, 03:38 PM
More effective functioning of some organs.

xfile
12-04-2005, 03:41 PM
Isn't it amazing that all those horses in Europe race without lasix?:cool:

kenwoodallpromos
12-04-2005, 04:11 PM
Good Lasix/Bute info.
European turfers do not run as fast so their innards do not move around as much and they do not bleed as much.

cj
12-04-2005, 04:13 PM
Good Lasix/Bute info.
European turfers do not run as fast so their innards do not move around as much and they do not bleed as much.

Say what? :bang:

PaceAdvantage
12-04-2005, 04:14 PM
Say what? :bang:

Forget it...he's on a roll.....:lol:

sjk
12-04-2005, 04:18 PM
American t-breds have used lasix for several generations and it is likely that many of them need it.

I consider it a non-factor from a handicapping standpoint since so many use it and we don't need to spend a lot of effort trying to figure out who really needs it.

It would be much more of a wild card from a handicapping (and horseman) point of view of it were suddenly not allowed.

schweitz
12-04-2005, 04:20 PM
Isn't it amazing that all those horses in Europe race without lasix?:cool:

I'm guessing that those that bleed don't race. ;)

Figman
12-04-2005, 04:45 PM
It has never been proven that furosemide (lasix) stops bleeding!

chrisg
12-04-2005, 05:22 PM
What are the benefits of race day medication?

Have you seen my picks? W/out race day medication, how would I cope!
:rolleyes: :D :D :D

Snow Chief
12-04-2005, 05:27 PM
I am not concerned about it as a handicapping factor, isn't it a negative for the sport on many levels? It is not good for the horses and it breeds suspicion in the betting public. Average starts per runner has steadily decreased since Lasix etc. has been allowed, so while it may not be the only factor for this statisitc, is there any reason to believe it is helping curb the decline? It is not uncommon to see entire cards at major racetracks running on Lasix, are we to believe that there would be no horses entered that day if it weren't for drugs? Lasix has not been proven to stop bleeding, but studies suggest it does enhance performance.
Canada and the U.S. are the only major countries that allow it.

Do any other sports permit such medication?

sjk
12-04-2005, 05:30 PM
Not good for the horses?

Have you ever seen a horse that has had a serious bleeding epsiode?

foregoforever
12-04-2005, 05:55 PM
Not good for the horses?

Have you ever seen a horse that has had a serious bleeding epsiode?

Perhaps good for a horse. Not so good for horses in general. It masks a problem that is genetically passed down.

In Australia, raceday medications are banned and a horse that bleeds is suspended from racing for (I think) 3 months. If the horse bleeds a second time, it is permanently disqualified (or sent to the US). Somehow, Australia manages to find plenty of horses that don't need the stuff. Their trainers are obviously much smarter than ours.

PaceAdvantage
12-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Their trainers are obviously much smarter than ours.

It has nothing to do with smarts. If Lasix were taken away from US trainers tomorrow, they'd figure out a way to cope....there was a time, not so long ago (early 90s for NY) that US horses didn't run on any meds.....(legal meds that is).

Perilous
12-04-2005, 09:06 PM
From my experience. When working two year olds if they don't bleed you run without lasix. They 'tend' to bleed after the first or second race(which is known by the results of the scope). Time off b.c they will have a lung infection after bleeding, starting over and then you put them on lasix. After the race, scope them again, no blood. So maybe lasix doesn't stop bleeding but it does a pretty good job for the most part of 'preventing' a horse from bleeding. There are some that bleed so badly that need alternative medications(kentucky red, etc) and higher dosages of lasix, in time usually these are retired because once a bad bleeder, always a bleeder and if it takes that much medication to get a horse to stop bleeding you are going to get a bad test or a horse that has too many meds in it to run.
If a 2 year old in a work, bleeds of course they will run first time out with lasix. There probably will be a gap between works because after bleeding most horses get a lung infection and need to go on antibiotics, etc.
Certain trainers, find it easier to just put everything on lasix thus not risking losing any time between works or races because of a lung infection. I think(this is my opinion) that smaller horses(weight wise) tend to get "dopey" "sleepy" with too much bleeder medication(especially KY red), and that if they don't bleed should go without alternative medication and limited lasix(if not none). Most trainers after receiving a horse that already has had lasix will just keep it the same way.
On the note of bleeding, horses that bleed during a race commonly "hit a brick wall" while running, thus this isn't a very money making way of running. If you have ever worked a horse that bled its a bad feeling because you've instantly ran out of gas and all you can do is wrap up on them.
Comparing US racing(primarily dirt) with European racing is like comparing peaches with oranges, yes they are the same shape but they are totally different textures.

kenwoodallpromos
12-04-2005, 09:42 PM
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=30655.
I just ran across this and the previous web address, so if there is bad information I apologize- I am still learning. I assume those who commented read the article on the previous website.
This link is about AUS study of bleeders.