PDA

View Full Version : Question on modems, routers and speed

andicap
12-04-2005, 04:08 AM
My ISP, Optimum Online has a max stated throughput of 15 mps. It's pretty fast. I can get 5-8 mps on my desktop connected to the modem.
I use an 802.11b Linksys router. I know the 802.11b maxes out at 10 mps but the 802.11g goes to 54 mps.

Is it worth it for me to upgrade to 802.11g routers and wireless adapters. I'm thinking mainly about improving the speed of the wi-fi network -- my laptop -- which is now appreciably slower than at the desktop connected to the modem.

(I understand the issues of interference, etc. which can affect my wi-fi network. the whole 2.4 GHz thing, placing an antenna at an optimal spot, etc. )

DJofSD
12-04-2005, 09:35 AM
andi, I run D-Link and use the "g" rated PC card for a laptop from work. While I have no real basis for a recommendation, i.e. hard data, but I do perceive a difference between the "b" card on my older laptop and the work 'puter using the "g" card. By extension, if you upgrade your components I think you should see improvements to make it worthwhile.

headhawg
12-04-2005, 09:51 AM
andicap,

The way 802.11x wireless communication works true speeds are closer to 1/2 of the rated speed. 11g for example is 54 Mbps but true speed is about 25 Mbps. 11b is 12 Mbps, so figure about 5 or 6 Mbps true speed. Still, going to g should give you about 4x the speed of b.

Also keep in mind that wireless throughput is affected by the distance away from the Access Point (home router).

There should be a new standard out mid 2006 -- 11n -- which should give you speeds up to 4 times g.

HH

andicap
12-04-2005, 11:29 PM
So even if my ISP maxes out at 15 mps it looks like its worth it to upgrade.

My biggest problem now is both losing connectivity on the wireless link with the laptop and much slower speeds than on the PC attached to the modem. I have a 5.8GHz phone but read somewhere that 5.8GHz do operate on the 2.4GHz frequency which can interfere with wi-fi nets.
I have an antenna on my router as well but the Linksys site said my speed/connectivity would improve if I move the antenna two feet from the wall.

Any opinions on the above?

Thanks for the help.

BillW
12-05-2005, 12:16 AM
Can you plug the laptop into the router by wire (RJ-45)? This would give you a feel of what "perfect" is for your laptop.

If you are losing the connection and are close enough that it doesn't seem to make sense (same floor within 50 feet or so, no steel between you and the router etc.), either try switching channels or move the router around to try and find a "sweet spot" for the antenna. If things improve it would indicate your diagnosis of interference is correct which would cut way down on speed. Be careful about expecting improvement with new equipment if interference is your problem, which seems likely.

Bill

andicap
12-05-2005, 12:28 AM
Thanks Bill,
That was what was worrying me. I was also going to upgrade my router's firmware to see if that helps.

BillW
12-05-2005, 12:33 AM
It never hurts to upgrade firmware (mfgr usually has a good reason for issuing the upgrade) But it doesn't sound like it will affect your problem unless you bought your router just after market introduction and they really screwed something up and didn't catch it before release. Check with JustRalph about a "link quality" analyzer. I would think there are programs out there that would tell you the quality of your wireless link.

Good luck

JustRalph
12-05-2005, 08:08 AM
a place to start

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps2360/products_qanda_item09186a00801d29ff.shtml

I had a phone system that was interferring with a wireless net I was working on. I did a download from a known website. It came down at a slow rate. Unplugged the phone system and 30 seconds later the download speed of the same file was 2/3 rds better...........plug in the phone........while downloading and you could watch it slow down.

DJofSD
12-05-2005, 09:26 AM
Another link with more tests. (http://www.dslreports.com/tools)

andicap
12-05-2005, 11:59 AM
I also have a wireless doorbell system from Radio Shack but I don't know what frequency that operates on. I unplugged my 5.8GHz to see what happens.

Also if the router antenna is near the desktop, would that cause interference?

Continue to have more computer gremlins as seen in my new note about my laptop.

DJofSD
12-05-2005, 01:05 PM
andi,

I don't know what kind of interference you might be experiencing. However, I'd locate the router as far away as possible from any metallic object like the cover for a desk top system. I'd also raise it up as high as possible.

andicap
12-05-2005, 03:26 PM
Right now the router sits on the top of a computer desk -- on a hutch -- about a foot or two above the monitor below with the computer itself on the floor, inside the desk actually, on the bottom right. (there is no door).

How could I get the router further away from the computer since it has to plug into the modem and the ethernet card in the back of the computer??

BillW
12-05-2005, 03:34 PM
Radio Shack will carry both "RG-6 coax" and "RJ-45 Cat-5" cable at various lengths with connectors installed.