PDA

View Full Version : New NASCAR TV Contracts

Rockingham
12-01-2005, 06:42 PM
Adweek is reporting that NASCAR has finalized an 8 year deal starting in 2007 with ABC/ESPN and Turner (TNT).

JustRalph
12-01-2005, 08:18 PM
I would like to see ESPN doing it again...............I miss Bob Jenkins doing the races. I hope they bring him back.

Rockingham
12-01-2005, 09:15 PM
Nascar Inks Deals With ABC, ESPN, ESPN 2, TNT

John Consoli

NOVEMBER 30, 2005 -

Nascar has reached separate, eight-year TV rights deals with ABC Sports/ESPN, and Turner Broadcasting, under which ABC/ESPN would pay $270 million per year and Turner's TNT would pay $80 million per year. The terms of the deal were first reported by SportsBusiness Journal and confirmed by Mediaweek through its independent sources.

Nascar has not officially announced the deal, apparently wanting to wait until it finalizes a deal with Fox/FX for the remainder of the race telecasts. A Fox/FX official said the network is continuing to negotiate and expects to reach an agreement with Nascar, but said nothing has been finalized.

Under the new deal, ABC/ESPN will televise 17 Nextel Cup races during the second half of the season [previously part of the NBC/TNT combined package] and all of the Busch Series races [which were previously part of the previous Fox/FX combined package]. Among those 17 will be 10 "Chase for the Cup" races, which will all air on ABC. All of the Busch Series races will air on ESPN2.

Turner's TNT will air six Nextel Cup races, three from the previous Fox package and three from the previous NBC/TNT package. Those races will air between the first half package, expected to be Fox's, and the new ABC/ESPN package.

Under the previous TV rights packages, which expired after this just-completed Nascar season, NBC/TNT combined paid $200 million per year for the second half of the Nascar season, and no Busch races. NBC and Fox split airing of the Daytona 500 in alternating years under the previous pact. Under the new agreement with Fox, which is still in discussion, Fox would air the Daytona 500, which opens the Nascar season, every year. Fox would also air 13 races to start the season.

ESPN and Turner/TNT officials would not comment on the deals, and Nascar officials could not be reached for comment.

Turner which in 2001 moved it's Nascar races from TBS to TNN is expected to get NBC's 2006 season.

The deal is the 3rd sporting event that will move to the ABC family. The Belmont Stakes, and Breeders Cup will move to ABC and ESPN.

GaryG
12-02-2005, 05:44 AM
Glad NASCAR is doing so well nationally, always been big in my area. One casualty of the additional interest has been the bypassing of some of the smaller tracks that had been on the circuit for years in favor of new super speedways in the north and west. I particularly miss North Wilksboro. I am only a few miles from Bristol though and there is no better racing anywhere.

46zilzal
12-02-2005, 01:48 PM
LOUD, smelly and boring.....never caught on to this silliness

JustRalph
12-02-2005, 02:46 PM
LOUD, smelly and boring.....never caught on to this silliness

If you can't grasp the sport..........maybe you should learn more about it! It will help make society better......:lol:

46zilzal
12-02-2005, 03:22 PM
If you can't grasp the sport..........maybe you should learn more about it! It will help make society better......:lol:
polluting the air, wasting fuel etc. doesn't take much to understand it

JustRalph
12-02-2005, 04:26 PM
polluting the air, wasting fuel etc. doesn't take much to understand it

If you are so well versed and understand it so well, try this:

1. What is the difference between a Busch series and Nextel cup car?

2. If you increase the camber on the right front wheel on a one mile oval, what would the expected result be?

3. Placing a spring rubber in the right rear would result in ?

4. Define downforce on a Dodge versus a Chevy, with respect to the new height requirements? Will one Gain Downforce? or lose it?

5. Stickers versus Scuffs?

6. How many points does a driver get for leading a lap? Most Laps?

This is easy stuff if you are a fan. Extra Credit:

25 laps to go at Dover Downs, you are leading. A caution comes out. There are only 10 cars on the lead lap.........do you pit for tires or not? You make the call..........

kenwoodallpromos
12-03-2005, 12:45 AM
I like to watch them pit.

PaceAdvantage
12-03-2005, 12:01 PM
Ken's reply reminded me of Ralph Wiggum from the Simpsons......lol

JustRalph
12-03-2005, 12:03 PM
I like to watch them pit.

Finger in nose while answering...........

http://www.acclaimposters.com/_gallery/large/10075453.jpg