PDA

View Full Version : Toups......Oops at Aqu

xfile
12-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Apprentice Randall Toups did pretty well at the Churchill meet and is now riding in New York for the inner meet. He was taken to riding school in today's 5th race (Dec. 1, 2005) by Eibar Coa. Toups sat motionless in hand on the odds-on favorite Golden Man (Dutrow). He took the lead on the turn and as they straightened up Coa angled out on Monopoly Pricing and just blew right by Golden Man....lol.....Toups didn't even go to work on Golden Man until it was too late and was already passed. He turned his head to see Coa pass him....lol...I guess he didn't hear footsteps or perhaps thought he had Secretariat under him....lol....He'll learn from the best riding in NY....lol :D

the little guy
12-01-2005, 03:38 PM
The horse was second best. He may or may not be much of a rider but he rode the second best horse today.

Don't give them so much credit.

kenwoodallpromos
12-01-2005, 04:08 PM
Sounds like Stewart Elliot in the Belmont 2004- I guess some jockeys in the turn just assume all horses can be see on the left side.
That is another reason I like horses that can catch up coming out of the last turn.

classhandicapper
12-01-2005, 05:53 PM
Apprentice Randall Toups did pretty well at the Churchill meet and is now riding in New York for the inner meet. He was taken to riding school in today's 5th race (Dec. 1, 2005) by Eibar Coa. Toups sat motionless in hand on the odds-on favorite Golden Man (Dutrow). He took the lead on the turn and as they straightened up Coa angled out on Monopoly Pricing and just blew right by Golden Man....lol.....Toups didn't even go to work on Golden Man until it was too late and was already passed. He turned his head to see Coa pass him....lol...I guess he didn't hear footsteps or perhaps thought he had Secretariat under him....lol....He'll learn from the best riding in NY....lol :D

I made the same observation on another board. He probably would have lost anyway, but the ride was pretty comical. His ride on Stonewoods (who I didn't bet because of my impression of his ride on Golden Man) wasn't much better. He won't be riding for Dutrow for long unless RD feels like giving the rest of the trainers a break. He has some things to learn.

Here's another one.

Take a look at Hemmings ride on the favorite in the 2nd. That was a good example of how to not ride a front runner. Could have cleared early, but eased up and remained 3 wide with company instead. Gunned for the clear lead into the turn. Waited again until mid stretch and then got passed. This is another one that probably would have lost anyway, but give me Cordero in that situation and the horse is clear by 3 and on the rail after 1/8 of a mile. If you want to beat him you have to come outside and then he's going to drift a little to break your momentum. Now that I think about it, Cordero wins that race for fun.

Dr. Carter
12-01-2005, 06:00 PM
I made the same observation on another board. He probably would have lost anyway, but the ride was pretty comical. His ride on Stonewoods (who I didn't bet because of my impression of his ride on Golden Man) wasn't much better. He won't be riding for Dutrow for long unless RD feels like giving the rest of the trainers a break. He has some things to learn.

Here's another one.

Take a look at Hemmings ride on the favorite in the 2nd. That was a good example of how to not ride a front runner. Could have cleared early, but eased up and remained 3 wide with company instead. Gunned for the clear lead into the turn. Waited again until mid stretch and then got passed. This is another one that probably would have lost anyway, but give me Cordero in that situation and the horse is clear by 3 and on the rail after 1/8 of a mile. If you want to beat him you have to come outside and then he's going to drift a little to break your momentum. Now that I think about it, Cordero wins that race for fun.

The Cordero of 2005 was eased on Indian Vale at Phil Pk, the same Indian Vale who promptly destroyed two graded stake fields at Aqueduct and Churchill.

classhandicapper
12-01-2005, 06:01 PM
The Cordero of 2005 was eased on Indian Vale at Phil Pk, the same Indian Vale who promptly destroyed two graded stake fields at Aqueduct and Churchill.

:lol:

I'd still take that version over what I saw in that race. :lol:

GaryG
12-01-2005, 06:12 PM
I didn't think he rode that well at CD. The "Toups off" angle has produced several winners and there is a live one named Matty's Song going Sat at FG/Lad switching to Thompson.

JustRalph
12-01-2005, 08:21 PM
I didn't think he rode that well at CD. The "Toups off" angle has produced several winners and there is a live one named Matty's Song going Sat at FG/Lad switching to Thompson.

Terry Thompson? If so......... I like it when this guy gets on.........

GaryG
12-01-2005, 08:30 PM
That's him Ralph, race 3 at 6-1.

xfile
12-01-2005, 09:09 PM
I saw Toups do well on a few wire to wire winners at big odds during the CD meet. He seemed to have a knack on how to ration the speed. But he is still learning how to rate from off the pace. He'll get a helluva education at Aqu. Pablo Morales will be the top bug there until he graduates......speaking of bugs - I saw Kyle Kaenel with an impressive ride on Marquet Rate at 8-1 in the 2nd race. Kyle has some brilliance mixed in with some stupidness.....lol.....Overall a decent colony of bug-boys in NY right now. They will get their share of winners.

Observer
12-01-2005, 11:03 PM
How old is Toups?? (And the other bugs?)

Inexperience does not equal "stupidness" .. at least not in my book.

Bobby
12-01-2005, 11:20 PM
Everyone loving the AQU inner meet?

It looks pretty tough with some of those prices!

WINMANWIN
12-02-2005, 02:53 AM
The apprentice riders must be followed in almost EVERY RACE. I would find it shocking if they didnt Win at least 1 race per card. If it happens in 2 days, I'll be Stymied. Apprentices historically do well on Aque's Inner. :ThmbUp:

WINMANWIN
12-02-2005, 11:32 AM
How old is Toups?? (And the other bugs?)

Inexperience does not equal "stupidness" .. at least not in my book.

I believe Toups and Kaenel are both 16 years old. Not sure about Morales.

46zilzal
12-02-2005, 11:42 AM
Justin Stein, leading apprentice at Hastings Park has travelled to keep his numbers up to the last few cards at Woodbine. If this kid keeps his edge, he is one to watch.

Perilous
12-02-2005, 12:15 PM
Kyle is now 17. Randy is 16(but he's from louisanna, who knows how old he actually is).

banacek
12-02-2005, 12:20 PM
Justin Stein, leading apprentice at Hastings Park has travelled to keep his numbers up to the last few cards at Woodbine. If this kid keeps his edge, he is one to watch.

Not only leading apprentice at Hastings - leading jockey. He won 7 of 9 one day and I believe 6 another.

46zilzal
12-02-2005, 12:24 PM
Not only leading apprentice at Hastings - leading jockey. He won 7 of 9 one day and I believe 6 another.
like I said, if this kid keeps the edge, he will be a force to reckon with. Don't think weight will ever be a problem since he is a really small frame....what's going to happen after the first injury??

46zilzal
12-02-2005, 12:54 PM
26% winners according to the stats at Woodbine...my goodness

xfile
12-02-2005, 03:52 PM
Kyle is now 17. Randy is 16(but he's from louisanna, who knows how old he actually is).

Pedro Morales turned 17 in September....he's the next Bejarano

46zilzal
12-02-2005, 04:17 PM
Kaenel did a very good job in the nightcap down on the rail to get up in a close one at Aqueduct today

the little guy
12-02-2005, 04:31 PM
Pedro Morales turned 17 in September....he's the next Bejarano

God, if he hopes to be able to eat I hope he's better than Bejabado.

What do you think Raffie's next job will be? And, I hope he does it better than his current one.

in the green
12-02-2005, 05:50 PM
I will never understand the facination with Bejarano. He has a great agent but the kid just is not that good. He was a liabilty at Belmont. Might do OK in KY but keep railajano out of NY. From what i have seen of Raffi is that he is good enough to ride a B curcuit. I will concur that he does have sand as he will split horses and ride the rails, but he has a knack for finding trouble and forever is trying to come up the rail on closers/stalkers. The kid needs to work on his timing, as he finds trouble being over aggressive more often than not. Bejarano is the product of a great agent.

Two apprectices that have impressed are Keanel and C Hill. These two have much more potential than railjarano. Kaenel and Hill ride from off the pace very well something Raffie does not do well at all. Hill also rides well on the lead. Kaenel has made the most of terrible mounts, he could excel with the right agent.

Morales is too new on the scene to made a call on. My first impression is that he is a typical bug who will go the way of Victor Carrero very soon. Fragoso if he is lucky.

Perilous
12-02-2005, 09:28 PM
I remember watching Bejarano when he first came to churchill(he had to bring a translater around in the mornings for works and in the paddock) he fell off all the time. Always almost clipping hills, cutting someone off, going in spots where he doesn't belong and what not.
Now, he seems to be doing alot better. He's usually on 7 or 8 favorites a day, which always help as well. But all in all, he looks better on a horse, his timing is better(I think he figures out the way the track is going quicker then some of the other jocks, especially keeneland), and he'll ride to the end. He'll ride anything, this spring at churchill he rode some horses I would have been like no way, but he had a smile on his face and I know he rode to the best of his ability. No he's not a rider like Bailey, Day, etc that know how much horse they have and can sit steady and be patient and when they get down and start riding they look fluid and nice-he's more of machine gun rider. The peru riders tend to look like that to me.
Toups, I think will be okay with more experience. I watched him clip heels I think twice. But thats how they start. With time he should get better and being around quality riders will help alot. Kyle at turfparadise rode on the rail on the time and would try to cut corners when there was no space, I thought he was going to get himself killed. Kyle I'm afraid won't last long because of size. He was 5'8'' last year, wears a size ten shoe and has to reduce heavily already. He's still got alot of growing to do as well.

dancing brave
12-02-2005, 11:27 PM
Well done class, saw the race just like you. I'm tired of incompetent riders who refuse to clear the field when they outbreak the gate. Don't they know, that pace makes the race. Hurry back mig, or even Shane" the brain" Sellers (crushed me when he retired). I know they would have cleared if they had any chance of it. I'm tired of Jose "sani flush" santos, Mike "loser" Luzzi, Alex " clueless" Solis , Shawn "the boogieman" Bridgmohan,and Victor Ezpinoza over rating their horses, let alone they all have cement hands. It's eays to ride cadillac's that lay over the field. These jocks rarely engineer victories with inferior horses.

Now bug riders, I still do not understand the fascination with the five pounds. Unless your horse is a crip, and no journeyman will ride your horse.Go ahead and use one.

I forgot my epogen, later!!!!!!!!!

kenwoodallpromos
12-03-2005, 01:25 AM
Now THAT subject would make a great thread by itself! I suspect that a whole bunch but never are sure. Except one Ryan Morris for sure! balances himself by pulling on the reins all the length of the race.

cnollfan
12-03-2005, 09:37 PM
I thought Bejarano looked pretty damn good on Intercontinental in the Breeders' Cup.

xfile
12-04-2005, 07:35 AM
I thought Bejarano looked pretty damn good on Intercontinental in the Breeders' Cup.

Yes and he had a great Churchill meet versus the nation's best jockeys. I don't understand the Bejarano bashing here :confused: Even if he has an excellent agent he still has to win the race. I've seen him make some very impressive rides.