PDA

View Full Version : Today's Shocking News - Alex Retired

rastajenk
12-01-2005, 09:40 AM
Can you imagine that? (http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=31220)

the little guy
12-01-2005, 09:45 AM
Yeah, the old fake injury.

Apparantly a few minutes ago he was going to run last weekend, now, suddenly, as breeding season approaches, he has a complication.

Did the owner's nose grow when he divulged that information?

cj
12-01-2005, 09:47 AM
Wow, that is shocking! :rolleyes:

Bobby
12-01-2005, 10:14 AM
What a sad norm . . .the best 3yr old retires after Belmont.

kenwoodallpromos
12-01-2005, 11:50 AM
Not at all- I called it because he was obviously overworked at every turn. Make a million or die trying. Now he has a permant loss that I assume could kill his leg eventually.
You can sometimes see on a horse's PP's the probability that it will be forced out or breakdown by ignorant or abusive training and/or racing. Very preventable in some cases, this being one.
There are plenty enough online sources and datailed news items to show that.

lsbets
12-01-2005, 11:59 AM
I'm disappointed. I thought he would be back. I'm not buying the injury bit at all. I wonder what he'll be syndicated for? I doubt I would be able to walk away from the money if I were in the owners' shoes, but I thought this time we might have a horse who would stick around for a while. It makes me appreciate Funny Cide even more. So what if he isn't "great". He's out there running long after most of his original competition has gone to stud. Its nice to have familiar faces on the track.

kenwoodallpromos
12-01-2005, 12:14 PM
I'm not posting to argue with you; But why did they bother risking giving him 2 workouts when they said prior that the original injury was not healing well months ago if they were not intending to restart his career? If they are THAT abusinve his connections should be in jail!

kenwoodallpromos
12-01-2005, 12:21 PM
"Afleet Alex suffered a condylar fracture of his left front cannon bone while training at Belmont Park in late July. In his most recent of two works since being sidelined, the son of Northern Afleet impressed Ritchey with a bullet half-mile move in 46.02 on October 7."
Many including info on equine medical websites said it was way too soon.

lsbets
12-01-2005, 01:10 PM
Ken - could be, I am sure they had every intention when he worked out of racing him again, so the injury could be legit. Or, as the offers rose for syndication it became way too hard to say no to the money. Think about it - his owners are obviously wealthy to some degree, you have to be with the costs involved in buying and racing a horse at that level, but how many people can say no to 20 or 30 million and risk losing that money if something happens? It just wouldn't surprie me if a reality check made them say "We'd be idiots not to send him to stud."

CryingForTheHorses
12-01-2005, 01:45 PM
"Afleet Alex suffered a condylar fracture of his left front cannon bone while training at Belmont Park in late July. In his most recent of two works since being sidelined, the son of Northern Afleet impressed Ritchey with a bullet half-mile move in 46.02 on October 7."
Many including info on equine medical websites said it was way too soon.

Very sad to see this guy go, He was a gutsey horse,I wonder myself why he did breeze that fast Good horses breeze these kind of times,Hard to really say who is at fault,10 different vets will give you 10 different answers..

midnight
12-01-2005, 04:42 PM
If Funny Cide wasn't a gelding, he would have been retired long ago, as well. This business is all about money. There aren't many owners who won't sell out to the lure of filthy moolah, and it doesn't seem to matter how wealthy they are.

Zaf
12-01-2005, 06:43 PM
Smart business decision by the parties involved.

Z

DeoVolente
12-01-2005, 10:41 PM
Yeah, the old fake injury.

Apparantly a few minutes ago he was going to run last weekend, now, suddenly, as breeding season approaches, he has a complication.

Did the owner's nose grow when he divulged that information?

The plan was to run the horse next year!

That was the plan up until yesterday afternoon - to
run next year. But what's the point in telling you
anything? After all, you know much more than the
people at the company that insures the horse.

When did YOU personally talk to Chuck Zacney?

Zaf
12-01-2005, 10:51 PM
I have to agree with TLG, we are not stupid here. Don't BS us, we all knew on this board months ago we would never see AA again. D'ont give us the BS injury jive, be honest, the risk-reward for the connections to run him again was too great. Its a shame. I see FC worked 3F recently, why isn't he retired yet ? ERRRR his cajones were lopped off.

Z

Observer
12-01-2005, 11:00 PM
That's an interesting point .. regarding insurance. Can an insurance company make it impossible to allow for a horse to return to action???

I'd imagine Alex and Smarty Jones could be perfect examples of horses impossible to insure for a return from injury .. otherwise the insurance premium would probably be astronomical.

I'm admittedly nieve about some things .. but I do believe they were trying to get Alex back to the races. Disappointing he's not coming back? Yes, without a doubt. Surprising he's not coming back? No. It's just the nature of the game in these times.

Bobby
12-01-2005, 11:31 PM
I think the connections had every intent on running AA again.

However, at least his injury sounds a lot more career threatening than Smarty Jones bruised foot/feet

Observer
12-01-2005, 11:37 PM
Smarty Jones was not retired because of "bruised foot/feet" .. he was retired because of damage to his cannon bones.

Tom
12-01-2005, 11:43 PM
Remember the good ole days when the triple crown marked the START of a good racing career and not the END?

Maybe they should move the TC to August-Sept so they can fit in the BC befreo they spit the bit.

Zaf
12-01-2005, 11:58 PM
Amen, Tom !

Bring back the horses like Phar Lap & Sea Biscuit ! Real warriors !

Z

Jinxed
12-02-2005, 12:33 AM
I told Silver Sow about 2 mo. ago that Afleet Alex was being retired. I told him in a contest thread that Bubbles had up. I had heard even then there wasn't much chance of his injury healing up enough for him to ever be back.

That's all she said .............. :)

kenwoodallpromos
12-02-2005, 10:40 AM
I will acknowledge that you called it.
I'm reading the problem can lead to pain and therre are several treatments; but I assume racing would be out either way for a long time.
Insurance- if there are really no definite sale or place to put him for stud service, the insured amount may be hard to come by.

kenwoodallpromos
12-02-2005, 02:50 PM
Description (Mobile Vet Van)
With room for up to 4 animals, the vet can really take care of them, with the help of the electronic heart monitor and X-ray machine, which lights up. The hospital contains an animal recovery area, working lift and even a home for the vet to rest their tired head after a hard day looking after the animals.

Battery Requirements
3 x AAA (sold separately)
_________
Too bad each track does not have their own real one or at least the equipment!