PDA

View Full Version : Was my Money Management Post Deleted?

Conquer
11-30-2005, 02:51 PM
Did anyone happen to see the post prior to it being taken off? It was about money management.

PaceAdvantage
11-30-2005, 02:55 PM
You admitted in that post that you were posting a money management system that is commercially (or was commercially) available. The posting of copyrighted materials is not allowed on this board without permission of the copyright owner.

Conquer
11-30-2005, 03:03 PM
yeah, thats whats I figured. It was dumb too post it, BUT, the funny thing is at the end of it all I understood it anyway LOL I guess I just needed to write it out.

GMB@BP
11-30-2005, 04:59 PM
Under that premise its completely wrong to post any beyer figure!

PaceAdvantage
11-30-2005, 06:18 PM
Good point GMB. Not a good analogy, but a good point nonetheless.

cnollfan
11-30-2005, 07:44 PM
I'll post some Beyer figures right now: 85, 93, 68, 69, 81.

kenwoodallpromos
11-30-2005, 07:48 PM
The main exceptions to USA copyright law are fair use:
"Section 107 contains a list of the various purposes for which the reproduction of a particular work may be considered “fair,” such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research."
Simply discussing a Beyer number a horse recieved qualifies as fair use.

PaceAdvantage
11-30-2005, 11:31 PM
Ah, another good point, Ken....I knew somebody smarter then me would come up with the right answer concerning Beyer figs...

Whole lot different than publishing a commercial money management system in full.....

timtam
12-01-2005, 06:08 AM
Just for the curious minds which commercial money management product was

referred in the deleted post? Since most of us have seen them over time may

be we could discuss his thread without actually divulging the copyrighted

material.

cj
12-01-2005, 06:48 AM
Beyer on Demand (HTML) - $3http://www.drf.com/hcponline/images/buythis_120x22.gif

Get the most recent Beyer Speed Figure for any horse to run in the U.S., available 48 hours after the race is run. Delivered in HTML.
:: Sample (http://javascript<b></b>:newWindow('http://www.drf.com/hcponline/samples/326.html'))

Should these be given away? Probably not, but I know its done on many sites and I don't think anyone from DRF has complained. A Beyer by itself is pretty useless to a handicapper by itself, but maybe trainers or buyers might be interested.

GMB@BP
12-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Should these be given away? Probably not, but I know its done on many sites and I don't think anyone from DRF has complained. A Beyer by itself is pretty useless to a handicapper by itself, but maybe trainers or buyers might be interested.

If I purchase a recent throrograph number that I paid alot of money for (yes jerry does not give them away for free right after a race either) then repost it here, I dont think he would say this is "fair use"......my point was the internet, and message boards have pretty much obliterated copyright laws.

twindouble
12-01-2005, 10:52 AM
If I purchase a recent throrograph number that I paid alot of money for (yes jerry does not give them away for free right after a race either) then repost it here, I dont think he would say this is "fair use"......my point was the internet, and message boards have pretty much obliterated copyright laws.

Why would anyone pay a lot of money for throrograph numbers? Well, heres my take on it, someone or a few have a huge bankroll and don't have the necessary handicapping skills to get the edge needed to win. Very early on when I signed onto a racing forum, (over 4 years ago,) I stressed the need for a healty bankroll to make it in this game, even suggested to those that don't have it to form partnerships with other good handicappers. So in essence my arguement is and has been that any team formed of triditional handicappers can do as well if not better making money but that was prior to my knowledge of Rebates and that added another edge but not a level playing field. My gut feeling is, thorograph can only be successful with that bankroll mentioned, no different than you or I as successful handicappers with a megar bankroll by compairson with no rebates.

That law suit that on going spells it out for me, those guys weren't $2.00 players, just look at the money that was involed, rebates alone tell the story. My hat goes off to Jerry, he just took advantage of money making money, 45 % if I recall right, plus this suit if he wins or not puts his numbers on the front page, can't lose!

For those here that think I'm just putting down the number people and pushing an old plow, forget it because I'll tell you straight up the above works, one would have to be a fool not to see it. A good handicapper gambler is Nofool.

Good luck,

T.D.

kenwoodallpromos
12-01-2005, 12:10 PM
From website of the US Copyright Office:
WHAT IS NOT PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT
Ideas, Methods, or Systems are not subject to copyright protection. Copyright protection, therefore, is not available for: ideas or procedures for doing, making, or building things; scientific or technical methods or discoveries; business operations or procedures; mathematical principles; formulas, algorithms; or any other concept, process, or method of operation.
I bekieve one could get a patent for a handicapping method, like the Beyer's Speed Figure Method; but to directly copy more than an excerpt from another's copyrighted material in a no-no.
I think the best example of rulings on this was the Rappers sampling somgs into their own recordings.
Can you imagine Beyer or anyone else trying to sell a book if no one discussed it? Handicapping books do not get discussed and quotedm from on major sports networks or in the major media; I'm sure racing writers would not mind if they were!
I doubt if Laure Hilderbrand minds if folks qoute a line or two from "Seabiscuit"!
She was on a Seabiscuit documentary last night as an expert on the horse."
Of course, what I pasted on this posting was from the Govt, so it is not copyrightable ever.

cj
12-01-2005, 12:33 PM
They don't sell single lines from books. They don't sell a few lines of a song. They do sell single Beyers. If they are selling them, I'm guessing that means they don't want them given away. I doubt it can be stopped, and I don't know who in their right mind would pay $3 for a Beyer, but that doesn't really matter.

PaceAdvantage
12-01-2005, 01:37 PM
Wow, it's like a tennis match in here....good points on both sides...

Do they still give away Beyer Figs for free on Wire to Wire?

twindouble
12-01-2005, 02:31 PM

Well, if it's a tennis match, Im Jimmy Connors would fit me well at this point.

cj
12-01-2005, 02:50 PM

They give plenty away on their own site, so who knows really. We know a DRF guy comes here, so I would guess he would say to stop if it was a problem.