View Full Version : METS HAVE WAGNER

BetHorses!
11-28-2005, 05:29 PM
4 years 43 mm

Mets fans leave October '06 clear on your calendars

YESS

Valuist
11-28-2005, 05:46 PM
Ryan's signing by Toronto drove the prices for all relievers up. I can't believe the money Ryan got. How many good years has he had? At least Wagner has a good resume.

Can somebody tell me why the White Sox would trade a young center fielder w/a great glove, with some power and speed (20 HRS/SBs in 2004) for an aging slugger who has severe back problems?

Zaf
11-28-2005, 10:53 PM
4 years 43 mm

Mets fans leave October '06 clear on your calendars

YESS

:jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

Z

Valuist
11-29-2005, 09:31 AM
Baseball needs a salary cap......REAL BAD.

Zaf
11-29-2005, 10:01 AM
Now if they get Man Ram also this could be one sick team :

According to Peter Gammons at ESPN, the Red Sox do not want to move OF Manny Ramirez, and will do everything they can to persuade him to remain in Boston. However, Gammons notes, if Ramirez must be traded, it appears the Mets are Boston’s only partner…

…it will be interesting to see what happens to manny’s value as the off-season moves on…if the mets take the position of being mildly interested, but not obsessed, and manny remains adamant that he must go, as spring training approaches, the price could drop to a place that makes ramirez a bargain…

Several New York reports indicated yesterday that talks between the Mets and red Sox regarding Ramirez had increased over the last few days…

Z

falconridge
11-29-2005, 11:59 AM
I haven't followed the hot stove league for a while. So, you're saying that Leon "Daddy Wags" Wagner is making a comeback? At last!--the Flushing Meadows Nine have lefty-swinging power in the outfield.:jump:

Oops!:blush: I guess that's not the Wagner you meant. Daddy Wags (d. January 3, 2004; R.I.P.) isn't asking for that kind of jack these days, but arranging for his transportation might prove problematical.

The Wagner you're talking about must be the flamethrowing southpaw (Gawd, I LOVE that kinda talk!) who, a couple of seasons ago, with the Houstoners apparently driving toward the playoffs, blew a save against the cellar-dwelling Pittsburgh Pirates (excuse the redundancy redundancy). The situation: last of the ninth, two outs, nobody on base, Astros up six runs. Seventeen pitches later (after a walk, home run, double, walk, single, hit batsman), Brian Giles launches a Wagner fastball toward the Monongahela. Giles's bases-clearing pill-pasting sends the 'Stros hurtling in the direction of their new stadium's erstwhile eponyms--Enron.

H*ll, it could happen to anyone--though, according to an ESPN numbers crunch, the frequency of such occurrences is once every 63,000 or so games. So, barring the most bizarre kind of statistical anomaly, the Metropolitans should be safe--for a while.

Long-suffering Pirate fan (again, forgive the redundancy; after all, "Pirate fan" connotes long suffering),

Falconridge

highnote
11-30-2005, 12:36 AM
Ryan's signing by Toronto drove the prices for all relievers up. I can't believe the money Ryan got. How many good years has he had? At least Wagner has a good resume.

Can somebody tell me why the White Sox would trade a young center fielder w/a great glove, with some power and speed (20 HRS/SBs in 2004) for an aging slugger who has severe back problems?

Money would be my guess.

cj
12-01-2005, 02:59 AM
Don't you have to get the lead sometimes for Wagner to help? :eek:

BillW
12-01-2005, 03:08 AM
Don't you have to get the lead sometimes for Wagner to help? :eek:

They picked up Tyke Redman from the Pirates too. :lol:

Zaf
12-01-2005, 07:32 AM
I recall having the lead late many times last year, only to have Looper blow it :(

Z

cj
12-01-2005, 08:20 AM
The way I figure it, Wagner will improve the Mets about 4 games, so they still need to do a little more, but he certainly helps.

headhawg
12-01-2005, 09:56 AM
Mets fans leave October '06 clear on your calendarsYESS
What is it about fans of NY teams that think spending a lot of money is the answer (although Wagner was a better signing than Ryan)?

The road to the World Series comes through Chicago's South Side. And while I think it was a poor trade, if Thome hits like he did even a couple of years ago AND Anderson hits .250 and plays an above average centerfield, you can start printing the back-to-back championship t-shirts.

bettheoverlay
12-01-2005, 10:14 AM
I believe I read that the Mets had 21 blown saves last year, and Wagner had 3.

cj
12-01-2005, 10:36 AM
Looper had 8, Wagner had 3. You can't pin all 21 on Looper. The Phillies actually blew 23 saves as a team.

The stat is a bit misleading as a team can be credited with a blown save pretty early in the game.

Valuist
12-06-2005, 01:25 PM
Here's one for Met fans; can you believe a woman influencing trade talks?

http://www.badjocks.com/

BillW
12-06-2005, 02:12 PM
Here's one for Met fans; can you believe a woman influencing trade talks?

http://www.badjocks.com/

Benson really pays for that trophy. She leads him around by the nose.