PDA

View Full Version : The Horse Whisperer

GR1@HTR
06-25-2002, 09:23 AM
From Ft. Worth Star Telegram:

A hoof-and-mouth winner

Randy Galloway commentary

The following story is true. Weird, but true.

Weird, because I don't believe you animal lovers can carry on conversations with four-legged creatures, and I see
you out there in public all the time, just yakking away with Fido or Fluffy. You people force me to detour off the
sidewalk and into the middle of the street, giving myself plenty of security clearance.

True, because ABC-TV's 20/20 Downtown camera crew filmed it all for that series' first show after summer reruns,
although the network says it may now be aired sooner.

And true, because Eric Wing, who works in media relations for the National Thoroughbred Racing Association, was an
eye-and-ear witness to what the camera saw and heard. I first read Wing's account in an NTRA newsletter, and then
phoned him, just for verification.

"Weird, but true," Wing confirmed.

Follow along:

Go back three weeks ago, to the Belmont Stakes, where War Emblem made his unsuccessful bid to win racing's fabled
Triple Crown. Because of the national media crush for the race, Wing had volunteered to help out the Belmont track
staff. One of his assignments, on the Friday morning before the Saturday race, was to solicit trainers for the 20/20
Downtown film crew, which had an unusual request. ABC brought a reputed "horse communicator" to the track's
stable area, and the plan was for her to "talk" to horses entered in the big race.

Dawn Hayman, in her 30s and from upstate New York, was serious about her work, according to Wing, and made it
clear she was not an animal "psychic." But Hayman operates an animal rescue farm, and, yes, she modestly claimed
she could talk to creatures and the creatures answered.

Wing figured, true or not, he wanted to see this. But it was 36 hours before the Belmont and Wing also knew most
trainers at this point are more nervous than their horses. He also knew some trainers, like the testy Bobby Frankel,
would have everyone immediately thrown out of his barn.

"I concentrated on the guys who might cooperate," said Wing, including Bob Baffert, the trainer of War Emblem.

Baffert "politely" declined. So did every other trainer they approached except Kentucky-based Kenny McPeek, a
young trainer with a friendly and mild-mannered disposition.

But McPeek's horse was Sarava, the most unlikely winner of all in the Belmont. Sarava was going to be long, long
odds when the horses left the starting gate Saturday.

McPeek ran the visit past the co-owner of the horse, Gary Drake. According to Wing, Drake's answer was, "Let me
get this straight - there's a woman outside who will let us ask questions of Sarava, and through her, Sarava will
answer us?"

When McPeek nodded somewhat sheepishly, Drake added, "Well, heck, Kenny. Get her in here."

In came Hayman with the camera and sound crew. They gathered around the stall of Sarava. McPeek or Drake asked
questions. Wing said Hayman would stare silently at Sarava's face, and after a few seconds of silence, deliver the
horse's "response."

About this time, I'm headed for the nearest barn exit, but Wing hung in there.

He heard Sarava "revealing" to Hayman that he knew something big was going on, and he thought he would soon be
famous. The horse "said" he felt well taken care of, and that he liked the Belmont track he was training on because it
was bigger and more spacious than Churchill Downs and Pimlico. And that he was also particularly fond of his new
jockey, Edgar Prado.

But then an ABC producer prompted Drake and McPeek to ask a question only they would know the answer to. "Ask
him how his feet feel," said McPeek to Hayman, who promptly gave the horse a long stare. Then she replied, "His feet
feel good. I'm getting from him that there's been a problem. I think the right front. But he says it's much better now."

Bingo. Wing said McPeek and Drake were stunned. Sarava, McPeek replied, had once had a serious right-front hoof
injury (called a quarter crack). One of the worst, according to McPeek, he has ever seen in a horse. But it was
something McPeek didn't remember ever being reported by any thoroughbred media.

As Hayman departed the McPeek barn, she left behind converts.

But the ABC crew made a last stop at another barn, trying to fit in one more "horse talk" session before Hayman
caught her train back home to upstate New York.

Wing approached trainer Lisa Lewis. She was cooperative, and although not having a horse in the big race, Lewis
introduced Hayman to a colt named River Rush, who was entered in a Saturday allowance race to be run immediately
after the Belmont Stakes.

Hayman quickly received bad vibes from River Rush. "He's telling me," she said, "that he wants to do well, but he
finds racing very intimidating. I think he's had a bad experience or a fall at some point in the past. Does that make
any sense?"

As a matter of fact ...

Lewis revealed the horse had once fallen inside the starting gate and had been difficult to keep mentally focused ever
since. Therefore, he had never performed to his talent potential.

At that point, Lewis asked for Hayman's business card. Hayman said she had none.

Fast forward to Saturday afternoon at old Belmont in Elmont, N.Y.

In the 11th race on the program, favorite River Rush burst through the starting gate as other horses were being
loaded, lost his rider, and ran away up the track. He had to be scratched.

Forty minutes earlier, Sarava, at 70-to-1, had won the Belmont Stakes in a historic upset.

Monday, I tried unsuccessfully to contact Dawn Hayman by e-mail. The reply kept coming back, "no such carrier
available."

If Eric Wing hadn't seen it, and if TV cameras hadn't recorded it, I would have told you "no such person available."

Randy Galloway's Sports at Six can be heard weeknights, 6-8 p.m., on WBAP NewsTalk 820.
rgalloway@star-telegram.com

so.cal.fan
06-25-2002, 10:50 AM
So. Cal. Fan believes it, GR1.
No, actually, So. Cal. Fan. KNOWS these things are true!
Thanks for posting that interesting story!

:)

ridersup
06-25-2002, 11:34 AM
GR 1

We have a trainer's wife who claims to be able to communicate with horses at Tampa Bay Downs. Don't know if she really can but the trainer does quite well with his stock.

Bruddah
06-25-2002, 12:07 PM
I have a bridge I will sell you folks. Great location on the east side of Manhattan. Name change from Brooklyn bridge possible for new owners. Also, income potential as toll bridge.

:D ;) :D

so.cal.fan
06-25-2002, 12:15 PM
I can't personally communicate with animals, but know people who can and do.
We have a three year old boy in our town, who can talk to dogs!
I have witnessed it.
He is a constant companion of a 3 year old black lab, and they communicate in pictures!
He has a sister who is 10 who does the same thing with all animals. It is some kind of a gift, like an ear for music.
It is rare, but some people really do have this gift!
There used to be a strange old lady at Santa Anita, about 90 years old who used to stand in the paddock, no program, no form, nothing. She bet consistantly at the $50 window, and very often cashed her tickets!
She NEVER told anyone what she did, but I always had thought she was communicating with the horses! She never looked at their legs or watched them warm up, the usual stuff people do.
Weird, eh?

Lefty
06-25-2002, 12:54 PM
If you don't think people can communicate with animals to some extent, then you've never had one.

GameTheory
06-25-2002, 02:59 PM
I don't dismiss the possibility out of hand.

Now the "Pet Psychic" on Animal Planet is really offensive, however -- she even claims to communicate with DEAD animals.

Animals communicate with each other, after all. There is no reason certain people wouldn't be able to pick up on subtleties others miss. My dog often walks up to me and just stares. Now there are only three things he ever wants, but I can always tell which one.

Can a person actually have a CONVERSATION with a horse, though?

"Hey, how's your foot?"

"Oh, you know, it isn't so bad now. Back in June of 98 when I hurt it the first time -- now THAT was painful. Oh by the way, this new brand of oats is inferior to the stuff I was getting before; please have it replaced. And I clearly specified that my goat buddy was to be AUBURN, whereas you can plainly see this goat here is just plain BROWN, and really not very friendly anyway. I don't know how I'm supposed to perform under these conditions. And, my god, it is SO HUMID here -- can we go back to the West Coast anytime soon?"

so.cal.fan
06-25-2002, 03:16 PM
I have a rat terrier that hates to be given a bath.
All I have to do is sit and look at her and THINK bath, never utter the word, and she runs and hides under the bed!
Now, I can't read her mind, but she obviously reads mine!
Clever, these animals.

GR1@HTR
06-25-2002, 04:08 PM
Thats funny SoCal. My dog knows when it is time for her bath and she just jumps right in the bath tub and waits for me to soak her down...all without me saying one word or giving her a hand motion...

keilan
06-25-2002, 04:33 PM
so.cal.fan

Next time you do this close your eyes and think bath for as long as you like. I suspect your Terrier will probably close her eyes to and go to sleep. See dogs communicate in part, with their eyes.

Or think ice cream this time with your eyes focused on you dog, I will give you 2-1 odds that she heads for the bed once again.

If you don't believe this, look into the eyes of a alpha male and see if he doesn't accept that as a challenge.

Doug
06-25-2002, 04:49 PM
Several years back I was going out of my apartment and headed to the track. A little short on cash I was thinking to myself how I would like to have a little more money. Lo and behold my dog was standing there with a one hundred dollar bill in his mouth.

I swear to god!

After I thought about it I recalled stuffing some money in the sofa. Must have missed one as I depleted the stash and the dog found it.

Doug

so.cal.fan
06-25-2002, 05:56 PM
Doug:
How did you know your dog didn't want to get a bet down?

I believe you!

GameTheory
06-25-2002, 06:07 PM
Stuffing money in the sofa?

Tom
06-25-2002, 06:10 PM
Whenever I go to the paddock, the horses laugh at me!
One of them said "Stooooooooooooopid!"
<G>

PaceAdvantage
06-25-2002, 06:27 PM
When is that 20/20 episode going to air??? Or did it??

Doug
06-25-2002, 06:58 PM
Doug:
How did you know your dog didn't want to get a bet down?

I believe you!

Now, thats funny

Didn't even think of that, He probably would have had a good tri or something,

Doug

superfecta
06-25-2002, 07:05 PM
I remember an article about a horse whisperer in ATM.The author believed the HW could sense what was ailing his horses,so he asked him why he didn't use his talent to pick winners.He said it won't work cause in most instances fit horses believed they would win,but there were always several in a race that were fit.Makes sense,players in sports all believe they can win,it's the other players not being as good as you today that determines if you will win.

andicap
06-25-2002, 10:56 PM
PA,
I posted this same story (in the Thoroughbred Times, not the Ft. Worth paper as GR1 posted) under the "Mr Ed" thread a few days ago...refers to the ABC story -- it's "Primetime Thursday" and not "20/20 Downtown".
"20/20 Downtown" is no longer on the air.
The article said it will air in August, maybe.

(Jeez, did anyone actually click the story on my "Mr. Ed" thread or did the dazzling wit displayed under that topic blind everyone?)

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/todaysnews/newsview.asp?recno=23165&subsec=1

freeneasy
06-28-2002, 07:08 AM
ydmandiydm!

andicap
06-28-2002, 11:42 AM
Free,
Comes from my newspaper training. If you "break" a story, you want full credit.

:D

GR1@HTR
06-28-2002, 11:45 AM
AC,

Sorry for the redundancy...I wasn't a Mr. Ed fan so I didn't click on the thread...

andicap
06-28-2002, 05:55 PM
No problem, GR1,.....not a deal at all.
You should see what I do when I write a story, someone else writes the same thing the next day, and I don't get credit on the media websites for breaking it. I mean, reporters don't get paid 6-figures if you know what I mean, so it's all ego.

Derek2U
06-28-2002, 05:59 PM
hey GR1 whata great story. i wanna see that 20/20 episode.
i cant say i beleive it but who knows ... i wonder if that talkin
head will go barring with me some night?

freeneasy
06-28-2002, 09:18 PM
yeah and ask if she ever saw the last episode of MR. ED, cause I never did and still cant figure out if anybody, cept"n Willl-bur of coarse, ever found out that Ed was a genuine talking horse a horse.
And if you really want to put her to the test, ask her how did they get Ed to move his mouth to talk. even I know that one.
oh yeah and ask her if horses ever dream about fields and fields of ambrosia.

Tom
06-28-2002, 09:57 PM
I know the agaony of missing the last episode - I missed the last episode of Howdy Dowdy and never hear Clarabell talk!
Had to go get a vaccination - I would have rather had the small pox than miss that one.

Derek2U
06-28-2002, 10:29 PM
careful Doug or u'll get a repuTation

freeneasy
06-28-2002, 11:00 PM
ya know I think I recall hearing something to taht effect, I think I may have even seen a short clip about it years later on a TV highlight speacial, when at the very end of the show everything got real quit and then the camera focused over to Clarabell, and then Clarabel, hands folded in front of her/him ( I never could figure that out, wheather Clarabel was a womanclown or a woman playing a manclown or a man playing a womanclown or what but, actually when I first started watching Howdy Doody I always thought Clarabell was a manclown with a girls name and I thought " whats that all about" ) anyway with hands folded in front, head down, and finally, reluctantly, looking up, took a couple of steps foward stared into the TV audience and sang ........N-E-S-T-L-E-S, Nestles makes the very best Choooc-let
he-haw

Derek2U
06-28-2002, 11:19 PM
yeah game theory i cant say no to that horse talking stuff.
i just wish i could ask them a few hundred questions.

superfecta
06-29-2002, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by freeneasy
ya know I think I recall hearing something to taht effect, I think I may have even seen a short clip about it years later on a TV highlight speacial, when at the very end of the show everything got real quit and then the camera focused over to Clarabell, and then Clarabel, hands folded in front of her/him ( I never could figure that out, wheather Clarabel was a womanclown or a woman playing a manclown or a man playing a womanclown or what but, actually when I first started watching Howdy Doody I always thought Clarabell was a manclown with a girls name and I thought " whats that all about" ) anyway with hands folded in front, head down, and finally, reluctantly, looking up, took a couple of steps foward stared into the TV audience and sang ........N-E-S-T-L-E-S, Nestles makes the very best Choooc-let
he-haw Didn't Bob Keeshan(sp?) play Clarabell?he later became Capt. Kangaroo.

Tom
06-29-2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by superfecta
Didn't Bob Keeshan(sp?) play Clarabell?he later became Capt. Kangaroo.

Correct-a-mundo, Sup.
Do remember Pinky Lee and Winky Dink?

Derek2U
06-30-2002, 09:13 AM
re: that woman who talked with and to Sarava.
no kidding guys, I think thats what makes racing more difficult
more interesting also than pure human sports like soccer, B-ball,
etc etc. When a human athlete gets hurt (1) it's almost always
NOT fatal or career ending and (2) the Human says .."my back is
still killing me. Let's try more heat, stretches etc etc"
It's the Feedback, via language, that makes the humans NOT
play a athlete when he's still not feeling 100%.
But, since horses don't usually talk to their trainers, mistakes
happen. Maybe the horse isnt feeling 100% ... hasnt gotten
over his hard last race ... but who knows? Imagine if a trainer
could say to his horse.. "i'm putting you on the turf long to
improve your stamina, be kinder to your feet, so don't go crazy,
just go out for some exercise." hehe .... ahhh if anyone could
only just talk clearly with horses, handicapping would be quite
and suddenly Very Different.

Tom
06-30-2002, 11:09 AM
Even if they could talk, Lukas is probably deaf <G>