PDA

View Full Version : Dq at Hollywood on Saturday

Memogram
11-27-2005, 03:23 AM
I didn't have any interest in the stakes race, but that DQ was pretty bogus to me. Public got screwed on that one.

Tee
11-27-2005, 08:39 AM
Just watched the replay

The Academy Award goes to...........

I thought Stevens retired? :lol:

blind squirrel
11-27-2005, 09:51 AM
Just watched the replay

The Academy Award goes to...........

I thought Stevens retired? :lol:

PVAL,his best performance since his ride on ARAZI!

midnight
11-27-2005, 02:18 PM
Well, it *is* Hollywood....

I don't play SoCal anymore, and I didn't see the race until last night, but Valenzuela should be set down for five days every time he pulls this stunt. His "Help! I've been shot!" routine is old. If he'd gone about his business and kept his horse to task, he still would have gotten second, imo. As it is, the horse who would have finished third was placed a lucky first, and the easy winner was screwed out of two placings.

If Valenzuela ever gets banned from racing again (which may well happen), he can always go to the WWE and take the late Eddie Guererro's place, throwing the chair to the other wrestler when the referee's back is turned and falling to the ground and pretending to be unconscious.

cj
11-27-2005, 02:36 PM
I was reading Vic Stauffer's defense of the DQ on another board, but I don't buy it. I doubt if he disagreed he would post in public.

Memogram
11-27-2005, 02:45 PM
Does Vic work for the stewards? Pretty hard to defend that call.

Jeff P
11-27-2005, 02:46 PM
Yesterday's race reminded me of a long stretch duel between PVal and Chris McCarron in a stakes race at HOL in late November about 7-8 years ago. (I think PVal was on a horse named Benchmark but I could be mistaken about this.) Both horses brushed repeatedly through the stretch. PVal won the race and after watching the head on I actually thought he got the worst of it from an impedence/foul standpoint. But MCarron was the better actor. As the camera caught close ups of the facial expressions of both riders during their phone conversations with the stewards, the thought occurred to me that McCarron had better game when it came to getting his point across. At the time PVal was just there to ride. The stewards put MCarron up and took PVal down. To this day I'm convinced MCarron's acting made their decision. Soon after that, I noticed that PVal began acting too. So IMHO, maybe he learned from the best.

-jp

toetoe
11-27-2005, 05:05 PM
Pat doesn't care about winning for the owners. He's just addicted to winning, by hook or by crook, but
he's nut to alienate Victor, a real sweetheart. I understand hating Squeaky or Nakatani, first-class jerks; but Pat needs all the friends he can get. It IS surprising that the stewards gave him anything. Even if it's subconscious, they must deny him at every opportunity.

JustRalph
11-27-2005, 05:32 PM
His "Help! I've been shot!" routine is old.

Reminds me of a John Wayne movie. All that is left for PVAL to do is fly off the back of the horse like a stunt man.

I saw that race and PVAL should get an academy award. Or maybe the stewards should be schooled a little more in bad acting........... I thought it was a joke that they took that horse down.

falconridge
11-27-2005, 08:26 PM
I understand hating Squeaky or Nakatani, first-class jerks; but Pat needs all the friends he can get.Agreed about Corey N, but who's Squeaky (I thought Lynette Fromme was out of circulation)?

toetoe
11-27-2005, 08:57 PM
Corey's Cajun twin, Kent Desormeaux.

JustRalph
11-27-2005, 10:38 PM
TVG did a little bit on the DQ at the end of their Hollywood coverage. It was actually the most critical piece I have ever seen them do, when it comes to stewards. There was no doubt that they thought the Stewards really blew it.

midnight
11-28-2005, 02:11 AM
"Squeaky" :D

Agreed about Victor E being a really great guy and a bit of a ham. After getting his picture taken on an allowance winner at Santa Anita, he walked past the group posing with him in the picture and kissed, in order, an infant on the cheek, the female trainer (holding the infant) on the lips, and the (very surprised) male owner on the neck, then walked towards the jockey's room smiling, as though he did that kind of thing every day.