PDA

View Full Version : Lowest odds you'll accept on DDs or Pers.

fmhealth
11-26-2005, 12:15 PM
As I'm in a constant state of fine-tuning my 'capping, thought I'd ask for some insights from other posters.

I currently set my acceptable limit at 10-1 for DDs & Pers. Wouldn't bet a combination that will pay less. Anyone have any additional parameters they use or perhaps a higher or dare I say lower acceptable number. Thanks in advance.

Turntime
11-26-2005, 01:37 PM
I don't believe in setting artificial parameters on wagering odds. Sometimes an exacta that's paying $5 is a big overlay. I would never pass the opportunity to bet a percieved overlay just because the payoff didn't meet some predetermined criteria.

edwarren
11-26-2005, 02:08 PM
There are many solutions to these racing problems. if it works for yu, fine. 10-1 seems low and looks as if it would include most doubles. I bet low numbers, you need them to cover the winning longshots you're not betting.

Overlay
11-26-2005, 04:24 PM
Like Turntime, I'm guided by whether any given combination is an overlay according to my calculations, and my wager size is governed by the degree of overlay. I don't set any odds premiums or minimum payoffs in that regard. Any overlay is a potentially bettable situation.

midnight
11-27-2005, 03:23 AM
I also don't go by a fixed set of parameters, although I rarely bet any horse under 3-1 odds (at least at the time I play it). Over a period of time, I see more than a few 2-1 shots that should be odds-on. It's not too bright to pass up 2-1 odds on what amounts to a coin-flip.

I played a daily double at Quad City Downs once (a small harness track) that paid $5.40, and I felt like it was Christmas. The track's typical purse was about $1,500, and both races were $25,000 statebred stakes races, with the heavy favorites trained and driven by no-nonsense horsemen. Each won by daylight, paying $2.60 and $3.00 to win.