PDA

View Full Version : Horsestreet Handicapper

JimG
05-21-2001, 07:21 PM
I would appreciate it if someone who is using HSH can give me an idea, either here or via e-mail, of what they like about the program. I am particularly interested in the viewpoint from anyone who has used AllWays from Bris or HTR from Ken Massa, both of which I consider fine programs.

What do you like better about Horsestreet that justifies the $500+ upfront payment. Thanks in advance.

Jim

My email is goffja@home.com

Jake
05-21-2001, 09:54 PM
Jim,

Suggest you check the archives. Tons of stuff on HSH there. Think you will get a good range of opinions about what the program offers.

Dave Schwartz
05-21-2001, 10:55 PM
Jim & Jake,

I am not sure if those archives are still available after the board change. You may need real responses from real people.

Jake
05-21-2001, 11:42 PM
Dave,

Afraid that you're right about the archives being gone. That's a serious loss of good commentary. Hope PA has a written copy somewhere for his book, A Year in the Life of a Handicapping Board Adminstrator.

Jim G,

Short review. Have used and tested both HTR and Allways, both very nice programs. I think HSH is superior to both--more flexibility and number of predictive factors, higher hit rate--and well worth the upfront cost. Two negatives: Tough learning curve and poor documentation. Have recommended the program to friends and HTR program users, knowing that I would hear the worst of it if I was wrong. Still have those friends, who are still using the HSH program.
If you're willing to learn what will work for you in the program, it's extremely powerful, so you can customize it to your own style of play. It will certainly make anyone a better handicapper, because it can be functionally used at a number of different levels of expertise. Amazing upgrade rate. Great users board at Horsestreet.com. No knock on any other handicapping programs out there, but HSH offers a superior set of handicapping tools all bundled in the one program, at least in my opinion.

I know there are a number of members on the board who have just recently bought the program. Perhaps they'd be willing to critique HSH from a new user perspective, as well as their opinion on the costs.

Jake

hdcper
05-22-2001, 01:22 AM
Hi Jim,

Like Jake mentioned, I recently purchased the HSH software on May 6th. Immediately received the program next day delivery and have been playing with it ever since.

Most everyone on this site and at HSH, probably know how I resisted paying for the software because I like to take a test drive before I buy. But after talking to many of its users who were very helpful on other things I have been working on, I decided it was time to buy.

I can only say, I am very happy with the purchase and highly recommend you do the same. Basically every thing Jake mentioned is right on the money and any handicapper will find things that they use today and many new features in the program which will open your eyes. Like Jake, I have reviewed Allways(the free version from Bris) and took a brief look at HTR too. Both programs are well written and do provide their users with excellent information. But like I mentioned above, HSH has many creative features and goes beyond what I found in other programs.

Jim if you have any specific questiions, please feel free to email me at hdcper@hotmail.com and I will be glad to respond.

In closing, I would recommend you read as much on the HSH site as you can.

Hdcper

Slider
05-22-2001, 02:58 AM
Jim,
I second and third what has already been said. HSH has been an exciting and thrilling ride for me. I bought the program after Christmas as a present for myself on recommendations of friends. Put some time and effort into learning the program. This thing is BIG. Not a one dimensional pace or speed program. You can attack the race from all viewpoints. I especially like the various form buttons and screens. Got a lot of nice priced winners there. I enjoy and use the various handicapping methods that users have translated to HSH buttons. Excellent feature other programs do not have is the way HSH looks at the race odds as they change and you can see what the public is doing. It shows you the overlays and underlays. It is easy to do research with to find out what type of factors are important at your tracks. I use different methods for different tracks. One of my favorite ways to check for the contenders is Powerline button. I can handicap a race in 5 minutes or less with HSH. Now you may say so what, can you get the winner. I started in January and had a learning period where I lost money because I did not know what I was doing. Then thanks to the user board and Druther I learned how to handicap with HSH. Used my prior handicapping knowledge and learned how to apply it to the program. To cut this short let me just say that the original voucher I bought in January is now seven times bigger than what I paid for it. that is 600% profit in 4 1/2 months. The users of HSH welcome all new members because you will bring your own handicapping slant to the user board and that helps us all.

PaceAdvantage
05-22-2001, 03:04 AM
I have had a copy of HSH now for quite some time, and had always promised a review, but one thing or another has taken away the time I felt I needed to devote to the program in order to give it a thorough and fair run-through.

I still feel very badly that I have not given it a review, but I can assure you it is not because I did not like the program in my initial uses. I did use the program for almost two months before I got deeply involved in both the stock market and constantly upgrading my own software which is now quickly approaching its 9th year of existence...

HSH is a program that has something for everyone. It is very broad and encompasses many different angles of attack as well as methodologies. Dave has constantly been improving the program and releasing updates as he goes along. He is one of the most responsive software developers I have ever seen. His pride and passion for his work is unequaled in this industry (at least I haven't seen anyone else like him).

No, I am not a paying customer, but I feel that anyone looking to purchase a professional handicapping solution would find every penny well spent if it were spent on HSH.

==PA

JimG
05-22-2001, 07:17 AM
What a pleasure it was to wake up this morning and see so many thought out replies to my question. You guys are the best.

I am seriously considering purchasing HSH and really have been toying with the idea for some time. I guess I have been hesitant due to upfront costs which I know must be on top of the monthly data use fee. If I played full time, I would buy in a snap. Being primarily a weekend warrior who has just recently learned how to break even at the track (and I am proud of that!!) over the last 6 months, I am hesitant to buy.

Does the program do much with trainer/jockey info? I am confused about the odds board feature, how does it update???, is it hooked into super tote somehow? That part facinates me. Any additional thoughts appreciated.

Jim

Slider
05-23-2001, 05:20 AM
Jim

The best way to get the answers to these and probably even more questions is to call Dave Schwartz.
Make a list of your questions and be prepared to have your socks knocked off with the answers. I talked to Dave today and he explained some trainer stuff he is finishing up for the HSH ants --- all I can say is WOW.
State of the art and above.

Dave can explain your data cost options. It all depends upon what you want. Maximum is $1.50 per card without a minimum charge. And it can be much less per card for heavy users.

Congratulations on becoming a winning player. You fit right into our community. I had been a winning player for 3 years and was looking for more action. HSH gave that to me and much more profits than I expected.

Make the call. Everyone should give themselves the enjoyment of talking handicapping with Dave Schwartz. This man is not called genius for nothing and he is a good teacher who willingly shares information with you. 775-825-0260
The worse that can happen is you will enjoy talking to a genius and the best is you will end up with a program that will take your game to many new levels.

baravot
05-23-2001, 12:18 PM
Jim G,

There's really not much I can add to what's been said here by the other HSH users. I encourage you to take the plunge. You won't find a bigger overlay anywhere. If you want to grow your bankroll and stretch your mind, HSH will help you do it.

JimG
05-23-2001, 06:29 PM
For anyone who is interested, I decided to purchase horsestreet handicapping today. Although I will be eating beanie weanie's for awhile <g>, I am reallly excited about it.

If there is interest I will get back under this topic in about a month and give you my initial impression of the product. Thanks to all that responded.

Jim

Dave Schwartz
05-23-2001, 06:45 PM
JimG,

Well, I for one will certainly be interested. <G>

Larry Hamilton
05-24-2001, 12:09 PM
Several of you have expressed a desire for my tote board stuff to become available. I must tell you, I was almost finished with it then this guy from North Dakota put a damper on me. I mean what the hell difference does it make if I attermpt to dissect tote activities, when someone will dump tons of swing money on something and we wont even know it till the horse is in the winners circle.