PDA

View Full Version : Synergism VI

JimG
03-21-2001, 09:37 PM
Just got a postcard in the mail from Bob Purdy of PIRCO fame to try his new software which is an upgrade of Synergism. I downloaded and it is a windows program and rather large with tons of screens to play around with.

Anyone had any experience with this program and if so, could you share your thoughts? Thanks

JimG

John2258
03-22-2001, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by JimG
Just got a postcard in the mail from Bob Purdy of PIRCO fame to try his new software which is an upgrade of Synergism. I downloaded and it is a windows program and rather large with tons of screens to play around with.

Anyone had any experience with this program and if so, could you share your thoughts? Thanks

JimG

JimG,

I don't have any experience with Synergism VI but I hear from a good source that it is a very good program. Bob uses quality data from HDW and his handicapping principles are sound. It isn't "black box like" so you will have an advantage by getting horses and value that others will miss. It will take some work to become familiar with it but like any business, real value comes to those who put in the time and effort.

Sincerely,

John O'Rourke

Dick Schmidt
04-10-2001, 05:29 AM
I just saw a copy of Synergism 6 and it is the best traditional pace program I have ever used. I have known Bob Purdy for years and started with Synergism I. Each version has been an improvement; both to the interface and the numbers. As an old time Sartin pace guy who has been doing pace handicapping since about 1983, I can definately say this program makes it easier to organize the data and keep the records that pace handicapping requires. You still must do some work (and even worse, some thinking) but when I look up on my shelf and see a stack of track profiles and models 9 inches high, I can only sigh and regret all the time I spent doing records by hand. With Synergism, it is all done for you.

The very best part of the whole thing is that you can download (or get by mail) a copy of Synergism FREE. It comes with a month or so of data for a ton of tracks, so you'll know if you like it long before you have to lay out a cent to use it. You only pay for downloads, the program is free, at least for the time being. There are some legal issues to be cleared up (the principle behind the writing of the program died just as it was finished) and then the price is sure to go up. Right now, it is the best deal in racing. Go get it!

WWW.Synergism-sdp.com

Dick

Richard
04-11-2001, 06:03 AM
Where is the website to download this program?

Dick Schmidt
04-11-2001, 11:26 PM
Richard,

It is in the last line of my message.

www.synergism-sdp.com

Dick

JimG
04-14-2001, 10:43 AM
Just thought I'd check to see if anyone on the board has signed up for this software and what your results are.

Jim

Dick Schmidt
05-14-2001, 11:30 PM
Thought I'd update my experience with Synergism 6. I was commissioned to write a review of the program and have spent many hours working with it. I stand by my first impression of the program; it is the finest pace program available. With some work at picking pace lines for the program to use, I showed a tidy profit in live play.

However, just to test the program without any user input, I set it to select the most recent pace line at the same surface and distance. If none was available, I had it use the last line. I then had the program analyze the first 16 days at Hollywood Park without changing even one pace line. I thought the results were impressive. On the dirt, the program played 73 races, winning 24 (30%). It showed a 16% profit. If I have it just analyze claiming races, it is 15 of 37 (40%) with an ROI of $1.68. The turf shows an almost 50% loss with the first choice, but a $1.40 return on the second pick. Most likely it is mixing in too many dirt lines.

Though this is a short sample, and may well not hold up, I thought it was an impressive performance for a "black box."

Dick

andicap
05-15-2001, 10:03 AM
Dick,
I've often wondered if returns would increase on these things with a little "value" betting, that is, impose a minium of say, 4-1 on top choice, 5-1 on second choice, or whatever you want, trial and error I guess.
Have you ever investigated that? I've seen more than a few solid third choices come home at 15-1 in my time -- or at the least place to set up a nice exotic.

andicap

jackad
05-15-2001, 05:00 PM
Dick,
Please continue to update us on any further results using Synergism 6 without user input. (I don't know how to pick the best pacelines.) Thanks.
Jack

Tom
05-15-2001, 05:57 PM
Dick,
you bring back fond memories...of Synergism I.
I still have that and Energy! on my Sharp 1360, along with your classic third fraction program. I still use them occasionally and they still get winners. Syn VI must be light years ahead, but it has a winning foundation.
(Yes, Energy! still takes about 10 minutes to calculate a racce-not the best way to approach multi-card simulcasting, for sure, but still a fun program).
Tom

baravot
05-15-2001, 06:49 PM
Dick,

How would you rate it compared to HSH?

Thanks

Dick Schmidt
05-15-2001, 07:05 PM
Glad to see so much interest in Synergism, it is a program that deserves a look by anyone interested in pace handicapping. To answer specific questions:

No, I don't use any odds requirements in my play, other than to avoid making a two horse bet where both are 2-1 or less. I am always aware of the frequency of plays as well as the profitability. If you have a play that shows a 100% profit that only comes up once a week or so, it is a fun side bet, but not something you can make a living with. In my experience you need to feed the money though the windows to make enough to justify the time and effort.

Most users will find that picking pacelines will vastly improve their performance. I know it is dificult to start, but once you do a few hundred races, you should pick it up. Synergism provides excellent pace line tools. The program comes with a great many practice races, so it isn't nearly as painful to learn as live racing.

Synergism 6 is a mile away from the old Synergism I program. It does most of the extensive record keeping that pace handicapping requires for you. You can move quickly through a race and still get excellent results. I don't really recommend the "black box" approach, I just thought it was interesting that the program was "intelligent" enough to beat the races, if only for a short test. I don't know if I will follow up with any more such tests, as my results picking pace lines are very much better.

By the way, I got a call from some guys who tried to download Syn6 from the website www.synergism-sdp.com and had problems. I called Bob Purdy and he told me he is having problems with his Internet Service Provider and is making changes. If you encounter problems, you can e-mail Bob at bobpurdy@synergism-sdp.com and he'll see you get a copy of the program.

Dick

JimG
10-31-2001, 09:59 PM
Just thought I'd resurrect the subject of Synergism software to see if anyone on this board is actively using and what are your impressions of the software.

Thanks.

JimG

Dick Schmidt
11-05-2001, 01:51 AM
On the subject of Synergism:

I had lunch with Bob Purdy on Saturday. He is recovering from 9 hours of back surgery, but is getting back into playing horses. He plans to stop advertising Synergism and concentrate on playing. After the end of this month, he will discontinue offering the program free and start charging for it. I don't know how much. Anyway, if you have ever considered pace handicapping or want to check out Synergism's extensive modeling, TPR numbers, pace analysis or Jim Cramer's (of HDW) power numbers and running style-position analysis, now is the time to give it a look. The program is free at least the rest of November and comes with enough back data that you can decide if you like it or not long before you have to lay out a cent.

Dick

www.Synergism-sdp.com