PDA

View Full Version : See ya in 2006 Henny

the little guy
11-23-2005, 07:53 PM
Henny Hughes has been sent to Dubai, contrary to earlier suggestions, to prepare for his 4YO campaign. The tentative early schedule calls for a seven furlong allowance race early in the fall Belmont meeting of 2006. The connections are hopeful he can progress from there and make his presense felt in the Sport Page Handicap a little later in the meet.

In an attempt to nail down " suck-up comment of the new millenium " trainer Kiaran McKlaughlin offered the following quote....

"Obviously they want to win the Kentucky Derby from there, and I hope they do with that horse because nobody in the world deserves it more than Sheikh Mohammed."

rastajenk
11-23-2005, 08:08 PM
I guess I'm missing something obvious here....but that plan, and winning the Derb with "that horse" don't seem to jive. Just gimme a whack with the cluebat, please. :)

toetoe
11-23-2005, 08:58 PM
tlg,

Thanks, tlg. I'm sure you meant THREE-year-old campaign. I don't want to sound like Jason Levin, but these guys are nuts.

the little guy
11-23-2005, 09:04 PM
No. He's 10-1 to run in 2005.

Does Jason mock them too?

toetoe
11-23-2005, 11:15 PM
Yes, he even wrote a book about them. I guess he's the sheik mock to 'em, er sumpn. Sorry; a reach even for me.

Suff
11-23-2005, 11:25 PM
In an attempt to nail down " suck-up comment of the new millenium " trainer Kiaran McKlaughlin offered the following quote....

"Obviously they want to win the Kentucky Derby from there, and I hope they do with that horse because nobody in the world deserves it more than Sheikh Mohammed."

you know how much it hurts to see these guys operate. Of course I aint right. that's my business. but these people.

remember the line from Unforgiven whem Will Money (Clint Eastwood) killls lil bil(gene Hackman). "Deserves got nuthin to do with it".

give them an ecplise. and 60 stalls.

KingChas
11-24-2005, 12:34 AM
And another one bites the dust..........................................

DrugSalvastore
11-24-2005, 01:01 AM
Off the top of my head---I can only think of Imperial Gesture, regarding Godolphin horses who raced in the USA at age two, went to Dubai over the winter, and came back to win Grade 1's at age three.

IG was 2nd in an extremely fast running of the Breeders Cup Juv Fillies in '01, missed the KY Oaks, but made it back to sweep a pair of Grade 1's at the fall championship meeting at Belmont (Gazelle and Beldame.)

Her stablemate Tempara, who beat her in the '01 Juvie Fillies, died in the UAE over the winter.

They did have Street Cry, who ran 3rd in the '00 BC Juvie, come back as a 4-year old and run sensationally.

I don't know why they insist on doing this though---I mean, I'm sure they are insanely rich people with massive egos---and I know they've had much more luck with horses doing it from Europe-to UAE-back to Europe---but it's getting to the point where they ought to stop this insanity!

They had a 2yo MSW winner at the Oak Tree meet named Rosberg--I was convinced that horse was going to be VERY serious--he went over to Duabi and vanished. It's a common theme with quality Godolphin horses trying that move...as other posters mentioned.

They had a horse named Dubai Millennium, who was a genuinely great horses (and that's no hyperbole!) with mind-boggling raw talent on both surfaces, It's a great big shame that they couldn't get that horse to start in the USA.

toetoe
11-24-2005, 01:59 AM
Worldly Manner COULD be a decent horse, but of course he got jerked around.

DrugSalvastore
11-24-2005, 02:25 AM
Worldly Manner COULD be a decent horse, but of course he got jerked around.

I never was sold on him at all---though he did make a pretty nifty middle move in the Derby...i'll give him that.