PDA

View Full Version : Geldings

Triple Trio
11-22-2005, 02:31 PM
I wonder if anyone has done any study on the performances of horses after they have been gelded. One would expect some kind of improvement, but which race after the operation is the improvement most likely to occur? In particular, is it a bad idea to back a horse running for the first time after it has bee been gelded?

cnollfan
11-22-2005, 06:13 PM
I don't have a study, but anecdotally, I think first-time gelded is a positive factor.

JustRalph
11-22-2005, 06:44 PM
I don't have a study, but anecdotally, I think first-time gelded is a positive factor.

Can you say Balto Star?

fmhealth
11-22-2005, 06:55 PM
As a general rule, I"ve found horses who've had the "ultimate equipment change" run well first time. Maybe it's the "lighter weight" or perhaps the fear instilled in them when the announcer yells "They're off"!!

falconridge
11-22-2005, 07:42 PM
As a general rule, I"ve found horses who've had the "ultimate equipment change" run well first time. Maybe it's the "lighter weight" or perhaps the fear instilled in them when the announcer yells "They're off"!!:lol:

I don't suppose "And away they go!" would be any more reassuring.;)

Wizard of Odds
11-22-2005, 07:52 PM
"Down the Stretch they come":p

Overlay
11-23-2005, 03:11 PM
Just a dated anecdotal observation (with no accompanying statistics), but Ainslie included being a gelding as one of the fifty-eight plus factors he listed in his Complete Guide to Thoroughbred Racing, along with the comment, "A gelding in shape to run its best is the most trustworthy of thoroughbreds." (However. he didn't make any mention of the effect that the recency of the gelding procedure might have. If you were following his philosophy purely on the basis of the horse being a gelding, with no knowledge of when the horse was gelded, it sounds like he's implying that an immediate benefit would result, provided the horse figured as a contender to begin with.)

Speaking of geldings, does anyone know at what point in his career Forego was gelded? Did he run any races before the procedure?

cnollfan
11-23-2005, 04:04 PM
I believe Forego was gelded before he ever ran.

Tom
11-23-2005, 08:25 PM
"They're OFF!"

:eek:

Suff
11-23-2005, 11:48 PM
I wonder if anyone has done any study on the performances of horses after they have been gelded. One would expect some kind of improvement, but which race after the operation is the improvement most likely to occur? In particular, is it a bad idea to back a horse running for the first time after it has bee been gelded?

have you ever seen one Gelded? Its to easy ,,,to quick and to ugly.

Vet walks into the stall. bends over and shoots him up. they put a twister on the horses face to keep him occupied. its like a chain wraped around your face. they cut off his nuts. they throw the balls on the roof of the barn for good luck.

they don't even suture them. they just clip the hole shut with them scissors. horse is dumbfounded, his balls are on the roof. blood running down his leg.

two weeks later he runs 5000nw1!!:jump: :lol: seriously. I saw Lenny Patrick cut 40 or 50 sets of nuts off.

patrick was Gills Vet at Gulfstream 3 years ago. 3 grand a week... PLus a expemses,, plus a condo... Plus 3 trips to NY and Boston ..paid for,

Gill/Shuman/Patrick, nut cutters

Zaf
11-24-2005, 12:40 AM
Good work if you can find it :lol:

Z

toetoe
11-24-2005, 01:57 AM
Nuts to you guys.

speculus
11-24-2005, 09:17 AM

I have (hopefully), buried in deep somewhere in one of the 5-1/4" floppies from Ice Age, a volumnious and authentic data that VERY CLEARY (should I say, VERY SURELY?) suggests otherwise. Sorry, cnollfan!

1. First run after gelding is a VERY NEGATIVE factor for WIN, PLACE, SHOW.
2. Second run after gelding is a reasonably positive factor, more so, if there has been also a change in equipment during the first run after gelding, and it is "maintained" during the second run.
3. Solely from the point of "early speed", first run after gelding ranked highest (extremely positive) among all other factors that I had tested during that sample.

This study went on for nearly 3 years and was abandoned in 1996.

Tom
11-24-2005, 10:19 AM
Is this where the term "leaky roof circuit" comes from?

cnollfan
11-24-2005, 10:22 AM
I have (hopefully), buried in deep somewhere in one of the 5-1/4" floppies from Ice Age, a volumnious and authentic data that VERY CLEARY (should I say, VERY SURELY?) suggests otherwise. Sorry, cnollfan!

No apology needed. Mine was strictly an anecdotal observation, not based on any facts or stats. Thanks!

bettheoverlay
11-24-2005, 10:52 AM
I saw Lenny Patrick cut 40 or 50 sets of nuts off.

Is there some sort of entertainment value in this?

speculus
11-24-2005, 11:01 AM

2. Second run after gelding is a reasonably positive factor, more so, if there has been also a change in equipment during the first run after gelding, and it is "maintained" during the second run.
3. Solely from the point of "early speed", first run after gelding ranked highest (extremely positive) among all other factors that I had tested during that sample.

This study went on for nearly 3 years and was abandoned in 1996.

All of my data related to TURF racing.