PDA

View Full Version : Another Tragedy

Tom
11-20-2005, 11:37 AM
Apparently, a gate crew member was kicked by a horse and died on the track at Finger Lakes yeserday. No detail, nor names yet, but racing was cancelled after the 7th and Monday's card is up in the air. Must have been immediate for them to cancel on the spot.
Bad week for racing.

Figman
11-20-2005, 11:42 AM
Leon Reed was the assistant starter that was kicked. He was in his 40s. The heard starter stated that Leon put his hand on the horse's side (Oakie River Girl) to balance the horse and avoid the swinging turn of the horse towards himself. When this happened the horse kicked him forcefully in the chest area.

What a dangerous job!

Tom
11-20-2005, 11:57 AM
Any relation to the Mike Reed, former leading trainer years back?

Figman
11-20-2005, 12:14 PM
Not sure Tom. But I do know he was somehow related to the Englehart family. Leon Reed had been around the track many years.

CryingForTheHorses
11-20-2005, 06:47 PM
Another sad day for the racing world,Working with horses can be very dangerous.1 kick and your gone..Gate crew is one of the most dangerous jobs and when I win a race I always reward them as they do risk their lives keeping horse and jockey safe.My condolences to the family.

kenwoodallpromos
11-20-2005, 07:01 PM
The danger of working with big animals is something that I take for granted as a capper- this reminds me again.

46zilzal
11-20-2005, 10:04 PM
around them for awhile you really learn the value of steel toed boots

Figman
11-20-2005, 10:50 PM
A flak jacket may have helped this poor Finger Lakes assistant starter.

toetoe
11-20-2005, 11:20 PM
I think that's great idea, Fig.

midnight
11-21-2005, 12:08 AM
Another sad day.

Some kind of protective chest gear isn't a bad idea, although this kind of accident thankfully doesn't happen often.

Buddha
11-21-2005, 12:26 AM
I dont know about other states, but at MNR, the gate crew are required to wear a chest/body protection padding. Don't know how much it would help with the force of a horse kicking, but it certainly wouldnt hurt.

kenwoodallpromos
11-21-2005, 10:39 AM
Vests have saved a few bull riders when stepped on.

JustRalph
11-21-2005, 10:51 AM
I have noticed some gate workers wearing flak jackets

I wondered why...........this must explain it.

Tom
11-21-2005, 08:02 PM
Finger Lakes cancelling until Friday. Many, many on the track are related one way or another, and all are a close knit family. Leon's wife, God Bless her, was out working horses this morning, according to the local paper - the horses need to be cared for.

Flax jackets not required, nor helmets, but that is already under review.
FL closes live racing the 29th.
Very sad.

highnote
11-22-2005, 07:49 AM
Flax jackets not required, nor helmets,

I thought protective vests or jackets were required everywhere now. Guess not.

The DRF article said Mr. Reed stood up and was treated on the track then taken by ambulance to a hospital. Maybe it was internal damage. You'd think a jacket would help soften the blow.

What a tragedy. He was only 47 years old. Very sad day.

toetoe
11-22-2005, 05:34 PM
Frustrating to think that it may be very rare, and maybe never happen again, a la the little girl who was run through by a lawn dart, or the poor lady that got her skull crushed (indirectly) by the Popeye balloon at the Macy's Parade. The parade thing was one in a billion, and the girl's dad tried to outlaw lawn darts, to avoid future occurrences. No one could find another fatal incident in the entire product life of lawn darts. I imagine people are always getting hurt around horses SOMEHOW. Flak jackets sound preety good.

CryingForTheHorses
11-22-2005, 05:58 PM
I thought protective vests or jackets were required everywhere now. Guess not.

The DRF article said Mr. Reed stood up and was treated on the track then taken by ambulance to a hospital. Maybe it was internal damage. You'd think a jacket would help soften the blow.

What a tragedy. He was only 47 years old. Very sad day.

Safety vests (Flak Jackets) and helmets are required for ALL persons riding horses.I have seen several different racetracks making the starting gate crew also wear them.