PDA

View Full Version : FireFox/ThunderBird

DJofSD
11-19-2005, 11:57 AM
I finally got off my duff and migrated from NS7.2 to the current flavors of FireFox and Thunderbird.

So far the only minor complaint I have is the set up of the mail client did not transfer the message filters and junk control settings. Oh well.

Any current users of these tools have any advice -- good or bad?

Tom
11-19-2005, 03:27 PM
I tried Firefox briefly - even with all the right settings, it was a spam magnet! I got bombarded with pop ups every time I used it. finally got rid of it.
I am probably the only one who will say they not like it....sucs to be ME! :D

JustRalph
11-19-2005, 05:14 PM
I tried Firefox briefly - even with all the right settings, it was a spam magnet! I got bombarded with pop ups every time I used it. finally got rid of it.
I am probably the only one who will say they not like it....sucs to be ME! :D

Tom

If that is the case.........you were already infected. It is not a spyware magnet. Try it on a clean machine..........just a recommendation

BillW
11-19-2005, 05:36 PM
Tom has the magic touch, I haven't even seen any of PA's ads yet (sorry PA). I have to "break" Firefox to see them.

Some of the Extensions cause some instability, but otherwise works well here (I'm not using windows - environment has a lot to do with stability).

Tabbed browsing is great. Extensions are great too (with exception of instability).

Can't comment on T'bird as I don't use it.

Bill

Note: extension instability is very minor compared to what most people are used to, I'm just extremely critical of improperly operating software.

douglasw32
11-20-2005, 08:23 AM
I love opera's newest browser, so so many tweaking features....and I am not positive but I think it is probably mozilla based, like firefox.

headhawg
11-20-2005, 10:45 AM
Tom,

You're not still using IE6, are you? You are on King Bill's most wanted list of M$ haters so I can't believe you'd still be using that. :D

I use Firefox and like it a lot; beats the hell out of IE and there are a lot of neat little plug-ins available. Douglas has mentioned Opera which I haven't tried, but they have made a free version available at opera.com. I know that a lot of people use that browser as well.

HH

BillW
11-20-2005, 12:05 PM
I love opera's newest browser, so so many tweaking features....and I am not positive but I think it is probably mozilla based, like firefox.

douglasw32,

It is a seperate product from Firefox (not Mozilla based) but is another solid browser that is from a company out of Norway.

Bill