PDA

View Full Version : Josh Radeosevich 16 yr old jockey killed at Beulah Park

timtam
11-18-2005, 09:23 PM
I sadly read about 16 yr old jockey Jason Radosevich who was killed in a spill

Wed at Beulah Park when the horse he was aboard broke a leg and rolled

over him during the race. Staff at the track had known him since before

he began hot-walking his fathers horses on the backstretch. They say he

was a surprisingly steady rider despite his lack of experience.

I read this article in the Time News paper in eastern Pa. I thought the

jockeys had to be at least 18 to ride professionally? This is such a sad sad

story.

rastajenk
11-19-2005, 06:14 AM
Little Stevie Cauthen was 16 when he was tearing them up at River Downs before moving on to bigger things, so I guess nothing's changed in that regard. I guess you don't see them very often because it takes the right combination of size, skill, and being around horses all during one's life from very early on. That was certainly the case with Radosevich.

Been a tough couple of months for Ohio racing. Several weeks ago Albert Palacios, a leading trainer in Ohio for many years was killed in a car wreck, I think. And I think it was just last weekend that Chris Herrell, a regular at RD the last couple of years, croaked suddenly at a young age. I guess that kind of tragedy goes on everywhere, but it seems like each of these recent losses has had its own unique brand of sadness. It's hard to imagine J-Rad not becoming a success in the racing biz, though, even if he were to outgrow riding size. He had the pedigree. Big loss, for sure.

so.cal.fan
11-19-2005, 10:07 AM
:mad: I'm really disgusted with the media.
I haven't seen it, thankfully, but I understand some TV stations are showing the video of the actually spill where this boy died.....the racetracks will not show the video.....it's just sad that TV will go to that new low...to have their audience watch a boy die on TV. :(

GaryG
11-19-2005, 10:16 AM
When Go For Wand broke down near the wire in the BC they just kept showing it over and over. I finally turned the tv off and just said f--- it.

CryingForTheHorses
11-19-2005, 05:08 PM
I haven't seen it, thankfully, but I understand some TV stations are showing the video of the actually spill where this boy died.....the racetracks will not show the video.....it's just sad that TV will go to that new low...to have their audience watch a boy die on TV. :(

Im with you on your post, Very sad day for racing and very very sad for the family and friends of this little guy.Seems the media doest have a care in the world as long as they get the story.

rokitman
11-19-2005, 05:28 PM
Really? They're showing that? That is pathetic.

JustRalph
11-19-2005, 05:32 PM

They have been running this video non stop for two days around here. These media types in Columbus have no soul. One station is running a series now on how "16 year olds can be professional jocks" and at 11p last night they were going to tell us " what the real cause of this accident was" I didn't watch........blood sucking pigs is what they are.

If anybody wants to start a writing campaign......let me know.

this is their viewer feedback page. They ran the video for two days straight.

http://www.10tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=1809746

midnight
11-20-2005, 02:22 AM
I'm surprised that they didn't run the video in slow motion, with onscreen arrows showing the various points of impact, with doctors explaining how such and such a bone would be broken by the angle of impact, and how certain other body parts would be damaged, etc.

TV has never ever had any conscience when ratings are at stake.

so.cal.fan
11-20-2005, 10:55 AM
I was thinking about this yesterday.....I'm guilty of watching too much "entertainment" news of the Crime/Punishment variety and Shock variety.
I'm going to try to make better use of my time. Less Court TV and more walks with my dog or conversations with my husband.
TV news has lost it's integrity, if it ever had any to begin with.

shanta
11-20-2005, 11:42 AM
They have been running this video non stop for two days around here. These media types in Columbus have no soul. One station is running a series now on how "16 year olds can be professional jocks" and at 11p last night they were going to tell us " what the real cause of this accident was" I didn't watch........blood sucking pigs is what they are.

If anybody wants to start a writing campaign......let me know.

this is their viewer feedback page. They ran the video for two days straight.

http://www.10tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=1809746

JR

I just took advantage of the link u provided to give them some "feedback"

thank you
Richie

so.cal.fan
11-20-2005, 11:53 AM
Good for you, Richie, that was the right thing to do!

Figman
11-20-2005, 12:17 PM
In regards to the Finger Lakes tragedy on Saturday, I was watching the live simulcast. Never once did they show on the simulcast all the commotion when the assistant starter was "on the ground."

It may be a minor track, but the people there both management and horsemen are a class act unlike the TV station in Ohio..

PaceAdvantage
11-20-2005, 04:48 PM
To be fair, I would dare say MOST if not ALL racetracks would NEVER focus in on whatever tragedy may be unfolding at the moment, be it human or equine....they even go to the extreme of not playing the "Steward's View" during an inquiry that might include a spill or breakdown...