PDA

View Full Version : Bird Flu Vote

Secretariat
11-17-2005, 12:17 PM
Let us remember this action if the pandemic predicted comes as scientists predict.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051117/ts_nm/birdflu_funding_congress_dc_1;_ylt=Auh3v1ie_S8CoCf ygvcg8iqTvyIi;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCU l

i

kenwoodallpromos
11-17-2005, 05:03 PM
Bush wanted the $$$ to pay for martial law!
Just allow killing of all canadian geese w/o license by any method. Get a collie and enjoy your Xmas gooose!

so.cal.fan
11-17-2005, 08:42 PM
http://www.drnorthrup.com/eletter-current.php

Tom
11-17-2005, 10:32 PM
Anyone taking bets as to whether or not there is already a huge stash of drugs set aside for congressmen who voted no on this?

....so Sec, are you implying that Bush was correct and acting appropriatley in this matter - trying to be proactive for the pendemic?????

Secretariat
11-17-2005, 11:00 PM
Anyone taking bets as to whether or not there is already a huge stash of drugs set aside for congressmen who voted no on this?

....so Sec, are you implying that Bush was correct and acting appropriatley in this matter - trying to be proactive for the pendemic?????

Absolutely Tom. Bush is 100% right on this. Now will he put the pressure on Tommy Delay and Mr. Hastert. If those guys are gambling this bird flu ain't gonna happen, it's a helluva risk. Bush remembers the grief he got during the election when there weren't enough flu vaccines. Can you imagine the fallout if the scientists are correct on this and we have a horrific pandemic, and these guys went cheap on this? With GW's luck lately on disasters I'd say prepare for the worst. No, I agree with GW on this one, but unless he strong arms Congress it ain't going to get through the House. So instead of his giving the same damn speech about Iraq WMD's, how about addressing a real imminent threat and giving Hastert and Delay a call!

JustRalph
11-17-2005, 11:52 PM
Sure, lets spend a few billion for something that "Might Happen"

If you knew anything about the bullshit flu vaccine that millions line up for every year, you would damn sure not approve of this new stuff...........

dav4463
11-18-2005, 03:42 AM
Remember the "Swine Flu" ?

lsbets
11-18-2005, 10:27 AM
Wait, how bout this one. Remember in the 70s when all the scientists were talking about global cooling?

ljb
11-18-2005, 10:33 AM
Or how about the imminent threat of saddam ? Justralph, dav433 and ls are right here, we should not spend billions of dollars on something that "might" happen. oops too late on this one. :D

Tom
11-18-2005, 11:12 PM
I dunno...personal experience only but I have not had the flue once in the last 5 years - since I started getting the flu shots. Before that, I can't remember one year I was not hit hard every winter.

I would rather spend a half a billion dollars on bird flu vaccine than the 1/4 billion on the alaskan bridge to nowhere and another 1/4 billion on bailing out Northwest airlines, so that they could go out and send jobs not only out of the country, but to people not nearly qualified in security procedures as American workers in the positions now.

I think bird flu is areal threat and a potentially serious probability. China is doing nothing to help contain it ( hey, they can afford a few million deaths and not miss anyone!).

Right now, the only way the average citizeen has any hope of getting some immunization is to find a politicain and be prepared to "french kiss" him should an outbreak occurr! :rolleyes:

Secretariat
11-19-2005, 02:35 AM
Gee, it's interesting that everyone took Dr. Bill Frist's advice on Terri Schiavo here, but are disregarding BOTH Dr. Frist on the flu pandemic, and their beloved President GW Bush.

This was not a partisan issue UNTIL the House made it so. The Senate had BI-PARTISAN support for this. Harry Reid and Bill Frist agreed on its need, and it passed overwhemingly in the Republican Senate. GW and Tommy Thompson are 100% behind it, and the figure came from GW himself. You've got Hastert and Delay squelching this. If this pandemic occurs as Frist states it will, we wil be unprepared, but rest assured Delay and Hastert will be first in line for shots.

We can spend billions and billions on Iraq, but my god, something that is considered in the scientific comunity that can affect hundreds of thousands of Americans directly, and can be life threatening. Nope, can't afford that.

See this is where I realize that many of the guys here really are Delay Republicans, not even GW or Frist ones. Some are so far to the right they'd make an Evangelical blush.

It's the height of irresponsbility, and the blood of those who get sick lies on their hands.

Hosshead
11-19-2005, 09:41 AM
I think I may have already contracted the disease.

Yesterday I started pecking at my food.

OTM Al
11-19-2005, 10:12 AM
Can anyone here say SARS....gee, the recovery rate was only 98%....I can understand the fear of another world wide pandemic, there are some very nasty bugs out there, but this thing is this year's SARS. A few people will die from it, like a few people die from some form of flu every year. Even if this is like the 1918 flu though I can't see this being nearly as bad...lets see, a much less healthy population back then along with the exhaustion of 4 years of war in Europe and no where near the medical abilities. My parrot is simply outraged at taking the blame for this one!

so.cal.fan
11-19-2005, 10:17 AM
"My parrot is simply outraged at taking the blame for this one"!

And he should be Al! :D
If you read Dr. Northrup's comments......she puts this in perspective.
The media is really getting outrageous.
When there isn't a "real crisis", they make one.

DJofSD
11-19-2005, 10:37 AM
Is one of the symptoms flying up into the trees at night to sleep?

so.cal.fan
11-19-2005, 10:51 AM
DJ......

YES....... :eek: :( :(

Secretariat
11-20-2005, 11:16 PM
Stewart Simonson is the official charged by Bush with "the protection of the civilian population from acts of bioterrorism and other public health emergencies"--a well-connected, ideological, ambitious Republican with zero public health management or medical expertise, whose previous job was as a corporate lawyer for Amtrak. When Col. Lawrence Wilkerson, former chief of staff for Secretary of State Colin Powell, recently speculated, "If something comes along that is truly serious...like a major pandemic, you are going to see the ineptitude of this government in a way that will take you back to the Declaration of Independence," many of those professionally concerned with such scenarios couldn't help thinking of Simonson. They recalled his own unsettling words at a recent Homeland Security subcommittee hearing on government response to a chemical or biological attack: "We're learning as we go."