PDA

View Full Version : Another TVG flap

dutzman
11-16-2005, 04:27 PM
OK, here is my rant today on TVG. Today (Wednesday) instead of showing a 10 horse 9th race at Aqueduct that completes the Pick 6 (9 horse really, the 4 was a late scratch) TVG insteads shows its precious Hollywood Park 6 horse field with a 1/5 shot (granted he ran third). The races went off at the same time, but the Big A race was delayed. Even so, they still had it planned out to show the Big A on tape delay. That kind of stuff gets on my nerves. :bang:

midnight
11-16-2005, 04:48 PM
My understanding is that in cases of simultaneously running races, they have a contractual obligation to give CDSN tracks first priority. I believe NYRA is second in the pecking order.

Valuist
11-16-2005, 04:52 PM
It can't be CDSN has priority. Plenty of times both Ellis and Arlington are shown on tape delay, or worse yet, stretch run only.

DrugSalvastore
11-16-2005, 05:05 PM
It can't be CDSN has priority. Plenty of times both Ellis and Arlington are shown on tape delay, or worse yet, stretch run only.

Yea, I think they just make a judgement on which race they feel viewers will most want to see.

toetoe
11-16-2005, 05:11 PM
Here's a novel idea. Show both on a split screen. (Insert "DUH!" smily, or simile, or whatever here.) Preferably with the Stauffer track or Battaglia track muted.

Jeff P
11-16-2005, 05:19 PM
It seems to me that horseplayers want to see live races. Not talking heads. Not back stories. Just races. Live races. Nothing more. Nothing less. TVG has dissapointed me every time I have watched. Countless emails to them (and links to discussion about them right here on the PA site :) ) forever go unanswered.

This tells me:

1. They are really clueless.

-or-

2. LIVE Horseracing really isn't their product and we bettors (the backbone of the sport) aren't their target market. Maybe some other group is but it CAN'T be us.

My latest email to them (today) asks how hard it would be to show two races that happen to go off at the same time using simple split screen technology. I bet that it too goes unanswered.

-jp

Valuist
11-16-2005, 05:23 PM
Here's a new drinking game: everybody has to do a shot every time Simon Bray mentions blinkers on.

dutzman
11-16-2005, 05:31 PM
Yea, I think they just make a judgement on which race they feel viewers will most want to see.

Well, if thats the case, the end to the P6 at AQU would seem to fit that bill!!

Here's a new drinking game: everybody has to do a shot every time Simon Bray mentions blinkers on.

I wouldn't make it through the 4th race at Hollywood!!!

Valuist
11-16-2005, 05:34 PM
I don't most would make it to the 4th at Calder! :D

Dan Montilion
11-16-2005, 05:36 PM

And if you really wanted to get s&*t faced try these...

1. Pound one every time Simon says absolutey.

2. Pound one when you say to yourself "what do he say" after Frank Lyons mumbles anything.

I would include Ken Rudolph in the three category but that would require something significantly stronger than booze.

Dan Montilion

toetoe
11-16-2005, 05:54 PM
It occurs to me that everybody follows the football model. A bit of screaming, and mediocrity is fine, as long as we get some nasty hits. We don't have the helmet-spearing, etc., but they do kinda follow the model. Thank God, we don't have the "he used to strap it on, so he's an expert" fallacy to deal with. Can you imagine Squeaky Desormeaux or Jose Santos instead of Iggy and Friends? We're a distinct crowd from football fans, but we never get a decent standard of commentary. Sometimes it's mediocre-plus, other times it's abominable.
Simon should be doing mules. Speaking of doing, can you make a U-turn (ewe turn)? No, but I can sure make Simon bray.

Dan Montilion
11-16-2005, 05:55 PM
Then again if Simon says Absolutey maybe he's been playing the F. Lyons game.

Dan (A gooderest spellir I'm not) Montilion

Snow Chief
11-16-2005, 08:20 PM
CDSN does not own Hollywood anymore. there logo is off everything

midnight
11-16-2005, 09:40 PM
I've been over this before, but TVG does not and probably never will play to the serious horseplayer. They're after the young and/or recreational crowd, and while I'm sure that crowd would also like to see more racing, they also want to be spoon-fed entertainment, analysis, etc., e.g. they want to tune in to a set of talking tout sheets.

DrugSalvastore
11-16-2005, 11:54 PM

"Absolutely" and "Exactly!"

Remember in the good old days when Simon Bray looked like an impressive up and coming young trainer?

His talent seemed to leave with his hair line.

I remember him on the cover of the final Simulcast Weekly issue in 2001, Steve Davidowitz praised him as a future star trainer in his article inside that issue. I thought he looked headed to much better things than co-hosting with the likes of Todd Schrupp.

Azeri (who was in Simon Bray's barn nearly right up to her first race) had a sibling named Simon Bray. Simon Bray the horse was unraced.

Other annoying TVG talk includes...

"Swami angle" and "tool-box."

xfile
11-17-2005, 04:57 AM
OK, here is my rant today on TVG. Today (Wednesday) instead of showing a 10 horse 9th race at Aqueduct that completes the Pick 6 (9 horse really, the 4 was a late scratch) TVG insteads shows its precious Hollywood Park 6 horse field with a 1/5 shot (granted he ran third). The races went off at the same time, but the Big A race was delayed. Even so, they still had it planned out to show the Big A on tape delay. That kind of stuff gets on my nerves. :bang:

I have always said the guy(s) who makes the call on which races to show live on TVG is a DEE DEE DEE (to quote Carlos Mencia)....and Randy Durgess is a super DEE DEE DEE :sleeping: :confused: . And - somebody smack that fat Mr B until he picks a horse who is more than 9-5. I think his eyeball popped out one day he had a 7-2 shot win. Chalk eating Battaglia wannabe....lol......Don't get me ranting on TVG...it's too much fun :D

Figman
12-02-2005, 03:42 PM
These TVG people are sharp? NOT!
At Aqueduct today they have a horse finishing fourth that was scratched.

Aqueduct
RACE 7 6.0 Furlongs Min. To Post:CLOSED

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Odds as of 3:39:03 PM ET1 2 3 4 5 6
7 12 10 3/5 3 15

Results

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st 5-Strummer $8.80 $3.10 $2.70
2nd 4-Psychotic Reaction - $2.30 $2.10
3rd 3-Philly Frenzy - - $3.80
4th 1-Bee In A Bonnet
$2 EXACTA 5-4 $15.00
$2 TRIFECTA 5-4-3 $59.00
$1 TRIFECTA Box $29.50
$2 PICK 3 3 of 3 7/3/5 $783.00
$2 DOUBLE 3/5 $94.00
Scratched:1-Bee In A Bonnet

BillW
12-02-2005, 03:47 PM
They always show the wrong half of the entry in their graphics when the "straight" half is scratched.

The "1" did "pay" for 4th, it was the "1A" that actually finished there.

JustRalph
12-02-2005, 04:16 PM
They always show the wrong half of the entry in their graphics when the "straight" half is scratched.

The "1" did "pay" for 4th, it was the "1A" that actually finished there.

something about their programming if my recall is correct. They would have to go through and reprogram something to make it right, and it would take hours

BillW
12-02-2005, 04:26 PM
Yea, I was assuming it was a bug (a bad assumption in the software).

PaceAdvantage
12-03-2005, 11:50 AM
something about their programming if my recall is correct. They would have to go through and reprogram something to make it right, and it would take hours

:lol:

xfile
12-03-2005, 04:59 PM
TVG deserves the DEE DEE DEE award for Saturday 12/3....They show a POST PARADE for a Hollywood Park race with 5 horses and a 2-5 favorite RATHER THAN showing the LIVE 9TH RACE FROM TURFWAY PARK!!!.....stupid morons....plain and simple

xfile
12-03-2005, 05:46 PM
ok....post time for the 11th at Turfway - no other tracks are going off...so they will show the race live right??? NOPE....they go to f****** commercial. I'm going to get the rogers feed. This is just pin head decision making.

frankfig
12-10-2005, 01:20 AM
the only true horseplayer is carothers, he talks like a person who plays the game and is not looking for a " check mark winner " what a lineup. MR[my checkmark goes to the 4/5 shot] B , frank [ wannabe henny youngman ] lyons , todd [ it looks like a wide open race, and i had a hard time seperating this field ] t shmuck , ken [ am i " hip " or what] rudolph, did i mention mr [ this LITTLE HORSE ] b , this guy would say BIG RED was a ' NICE LITTLE HORSE ' or how about rich perloff talking about the pedigrees of 10,000 claimers.

andicap
12-10-2005, 04:31 AM
ok....post time for the 11th at Turfway - no other tracks are going off...so they will show the race live right??? NOPE....they go to f****** commercial. I'm going to get the rogers feed. This is just pin head decision making.

I believe its in TVG's contract, because they get Hollywood exclusively, to show all their races.

Tee
12-11-2005, 04:54 PM
Simon Bray today commenting on the longshot winner of the 8th race at Aqueduct - Platinum Couple. He mentioned something regarding Tale of the Cat offspring & the distance of the race(1 1/16th) as a negative.

I didn't catch if Simon said anything about the grand-dam of Platinum Couple who happens to be Ingot Way, who threw a pretty good "distance" horse in Skip Away.

The dams sire being Gate Dancer doesn't hurt for giving stamina imo either.

Drew
12-11-2005, 06:44 PM
Plus the much of their handle comes from California. Thus wanting to show California product.

It doesn't make it right but hey its what they feel is best. HOL has a bigger handle than most other T-Bred tracks. At the end of the day it is just business.