PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use Ed Bains Stats?

djjoe21
11-15-2005, 06:43 PM
Just searching around the web saw Ed Bains stuff seemed interesting to me. Looks to me that there is not much handicapping involved. Anyone ever use or know anyone that has tried this method.

Joe Ingram

BIG49010
11-15-2005, 08:15 PM
I get his newsletter and read his book, but I make my own stats. I have talked to him on the phone several times, he is a good guy. His ideas in the book and newletter have helped me a great deal, but I prefer my own stats.

offtrack
11-16-2005, 08:03 AM
I subscribe to the monthly NL, and I use the Automatics. Both generate profits for me.
I do not use the data service from HDW.

hurrikane
11-17-2005, 06:19 AM
I track a lot of trainer info. I do not believe that Ed's ideas create a flat bet profit with no other considerations.

but they are very good for alerting you to what could be live longshots.

I use my own figs but agree, Ed is a good guy.

exactajack
11-17-2005, 07:54 PM
let's say you have a Bain trainer stat that generates 99.9 % profit. It's one of his automatic plays. He's all over it and so are his followers. But then you have me that looks at the make up of the race. His horse is a Early type that needs the lead and will NOT get it. NEXT! Unless the horse fits the race, has the numbers, and figures to move forward it's not getting my money. End of story.
Here's a stat I gave CJ at the beginning of Saratoga. Donk on the turf at Saratoga last 5 years....0/42 or something close to that. Fishy Advice pops for donk on opening day. Had the numbers, fit the race and figured to move forward. Stats will get you in trouble. Analyze the race and make your bet.

aaron
11-17-2005, 08:35 PM
exactajack-
Good post-I have great respect for trainer stats,but there are times when you have to go against the stats.After all I'm sure you didn't bet Donk's 40 losers at Saratoga.In your book, Donk could be considered 1 for 1.
Every day horses with bad stats win.Sometimes,despite the trainer horses race themselves into condition.A player should never be afraid to go against the grain.

Tom
11-17-2005, 10:57 PM
Susan Sweeney has some interesting ideas as well - on Ed's site too.

midnight
11-17-2005, 11:44 PM
Like anything else, trainer stats are just another tool.

As for me, I keep my own stats. But even doing so, I'm not looking for something that made money in the past 100 races. I'm looking for something that will make money in the next 100 races.

That may sound obvious, but it's often overlooked. The kind of patterns I look for are very specific, and before I play one semi-blindly, I want to see a few examples of it by that trainer.

andicap
11-18-2005, 12:53 AM
I've found positive stats -- especially consistent ones that stand up over the last few years -- are much more valuable than negative ones. I do like it, however, when a negative stat is flashed all over the DRF and BRIS. Helps the odds.