PDA

View Full Version : No Thoroughbreds at the Big M?

Snow Chief
11-14-2005, 07:07 PM
What does everyone think about Dowd's comments about ceasing Thoroughbred racing at the Meadowlands? that would make Monmouth the only t-bred track in the state, and i can't imagine being there when it starts to get cold. also, will there be people around the Jersey shore after Labor Day?

Steve 'StatMan'
11-14-2005, 07:16 PM
Can you tell us more, or point us to a link somewhere? I had not heard anyting recently, but knew of some rumblings about it in last year. Not sure if they were planning on moving all the dates to MTH, or just dropping the MED meet and leaving the MTH dates relatively unchanged, or something in between. Sad if the MED meet is history, I liked it. Bet many others liked it too - great place to be a young rider, with 2 tracks in the region running day and night, plenty of horses to ride and workout, gaining valuable experience.

Figman
11-14-2005, 07:42 PM
http://tinyurl.com/aezzt

Steve 'StatMan'
11-14-2005, 08:04 PM
Thanks Figman! Good to know it likely won't change until at least after the 2007 Breeder's Cup at Monmouth.

It was interesting, but surprising, that MED ran a Tuesday day card against AQU on Election Day, although I believe MED was originally going to be dark, but they added a couple Tuesdays in November because of the cancellations from earlier in the meet.

Still, I don't think they normally plan on competing head to head with NYRA anyway at MED, usually run at night.

Guess they should do whatever is best for NJ racing. There are a lot of plenty of other tracks, circuits and states that would LOVE to have the kind of handle MED has, and esp. NYRA has, even AQU Fall, and even the AQU Inner Meet. Of course, they don't get the handle to pay MED and AQU type purses, and run Clm $4,000 and allowance races for under $20k purses too.

The Hawk
11-14-2005, 09:15 PM
What does everyone think about Dowd's comments about ceasing Thoroughbred racing at the Meadowlands? that would make Monmouth the only t-bred track in the state, and i can't imagine being there when it starts to get cold. also, will there be people around the Jersey shore after Labor Day?

Monmouth has been running well past Labor Day of late. This year's meet ran until September 25th.

This has been something that has been talked about for some time, at least 10 or 12 years. Standardbreds have always been preferred by fans in the area, for whatever reason. A lot of people claim it's because when the track first opened they only had harness racing in the beginning, and new fans got used to that type of racing first.

That said...just because they've talked about it for a long time without doing it doesn't mean that the people who are in place there in 2007 won't can Thoroughbreds at the Meadowlands. It seems to be going in that direction, if this year's 6-week meet is any indication.

kenwoodallpromos
11-14-2005, 10:12 PM
I'm relatively new to racing; not too track-setimental.
Racing needed local live bodies before simulcasting and online gaming; so with the electronic betting available now, why split up many circuits into 2 or 3 locations? 1 location per circuit means less moving and travel for service workers, horse people, and horses. And maybe easier to make sure the rules are followed.
Use the sale of the excess tracks to lower takeout!

Snow Chief
11-14-2005, 11:02 PM
in response to the newbie, i would say that fans, handicappers, and horseman all get "track sore." There is certain anticipation to swtiching to a new venue. it is rejuvenating to all involved on the circuit. Also, there would be a serious decline in the stature of NJ Racing, with only one track. I would say once October roles around, Monmouth's grandstand starts getting uncomfortable as it is designed as a summer facility.

Having one facility may apepar to be economical at first, but look at Philly Park. Running at the same place 12 months a year has turned that place into a factory. it is charmless, and not exactly some place to showcase racing to a prosepective fan. i think having circuits with 2 or more tracks ads significant excitement to the product, which is important to its longterm health.

i have also heard, this was almost 10 years ago and i have no idea if this is true, that different people in the NJSEA run the thoroughbred meet at monmouth than do at the meadowlands. The people at monmouth were not eager to help with the meadowlands meet as they did not want to lose credit for monmouth's success. anybody know if there is any validity to this?

46zilzal
11-15-2005, 12:15 AM
Having one facility may apepar to be economical at first, but look at Philly Park. Running at the same place 12 months a year has turned that place into a factory. it is charmless, and not exactly some place to showcase racing to a prosepective fan. i think having circuits with 2 or more tracks ads significant excitement to the product, which is important to its longterm health.

Might be BLUE collar but it is VERY predictable....speed speed speed, that is except for that $99.00 layoff winner today in the 7th.
7 Son of Man Laureano Flores 99.00 19.20 7.60
2 Exploit Echo Harry Vega 3.20 2.40
6 Wooey's Up One Edwin Perez 4.00

cj
11-15-2005, 02:50 AM
Still, I don't think they normally plan on competing head to head with NYRA anyway at MED, usually run at night.

The Big M has been running Tuesday afternoon cards for at least a few years now.

OTM Al
11-16-2005, 11:42 AM
Speaking of Jersey tracks going in the toilet, they gave 4 dates to AC again this year, all flats this time. There was actually some talk of doing some renovations there. I'd heard that it was likely the track would close up for good, but I guess they want to keep that simo money flowing.

Valuist
11-16-2005, 12:02 PM
Re: Aqu and Med running on election day, why did Aqu run then anyways? Its not like most people take that day off.

OTM Al
11-16-2005, 04:15 PM
Its tradition for them. It's for the same reason they don't run on Palm Sunday. Once upon a time when people got the whole or half day off for elections it was probably a popular thing to do to go to the track. Now, very few people get the day off but they still do it because they've always done it

midnight
11-16-2005, 04:45 PM
I doubt Atlantic City will ever completely close. They'll be given a few dates every year to keep them eligible for simulcasting. Sad that they're on the dirt now, though. Their turf course is beautiful, but I can understand how it would be expensive to maintain for the limited racing it gets.

Doesn't Atlantic City still host some non-parimutuel steeplechase meets?

Binder
11-16-2005, 05:15 PM
Might be BLUE collar but it is VERY predictable....speed speed speed, that is except for that $99.00 layoff winner today in the 7th.
7 Son of Man Laureano Flores 99.00 19.20 7.60
2 Exploit Echo Harry Vega 3.20 2.40
6 Wooey's Up One Edwin Perez 4.00

Shadow here..

The above race was Race 8 on Nov 14th
a 7.0 furlong race The winner was off 299
days
It showed nothing its last 3 races
all readouts from these 3 races showed a late running style on Speculator
Yet as 46 said This day # 7 started 4th, quickly ran up to the lead. Was overtaken in the strectch but came back to win at 48/1

cj
11-18-2005, 06:24 AM
Re: Aqu and Med running on election day, why did Aqu run then anyways? Its not like most people take that day off.

From the Handicapper's Edge:

A new twist next year is that the Big A will be closed on Election Day.