PDA

View Full Version : Oaklawn Derby/Handicap

BillW
11-14-2005, 05:55 AM
Can someone give me a feel for how well the track/area handles the crowds on these two Saturdays? Is parking easy/difficult to find? How does the track handle the crowd (bad as Travers day @ SAR? better?) How about getting around the town?

Any input would be appreciated - It's getting to be time to do a bit more than dream :)

Bill

JustRalph
11-14-2005, 06:59 AM
hottalkers forum has about a gazillion people who seem to live at Oaklawn.......they could probably assign you a seat if you wanted them too

cnollfan
11-14-2005, 08:29 AM
The weather is the main factor. If it is sunny and nice, the infield is open and that makes the crowd not only manageable but enjoyable. Much different than a bunch of old men yelling at TV sets, which is what horse racing has turned into in most locales.

If it is rainy and the infield is closed, then it will be cramped.

The track will run out of parking, so basically you pay $10 or so to park on someone's lawn six blocks away.

Traffic will be bottled up on Central (the street that runs next to Oaklawn) for a couple of miles, but will be OK in the rest of the town. Hot Springs is a year-round resort, so the town can handle the crowd easily and there is lots to do.

It's a good time.

cj's dad
11-14-2005, 08:52 AM
Hi Bill,

Oaklawn is a great place to watch and wager. Excellent food,even @ the track. Parking is no problem, get there an hour ahead of first post and the best advice for good seats is to call asap and find out when tix go on sale and buy in advance.

When the racing day is over, the town turns into a very nice spot for night life.

Bobby
11-14-2005, 03:01 PM
When the racing day is over, the town turns into a very nice spot for night life.

Isn't that the truth!

Go to LONGSHOTS across the street from OP. It will be packed. After Sunday racing, free crawfish is served.

Another place is SMYLY'S. Its a few miles south of the track but still on Central Ave.

If your the 6AM sort go downtown to Boogie's on Broadway.

Bruddah
11-14-2005, 04:26 PM
Arkansas Derbies since 1966 (40 yrs) As mentioned above, if the weather isn't nice that day (usually is in April) 60-75 thousand people can be stuffy inside. Nice weather, the apple blossoms fragrancing the air, and it is a beautiful setting for horse racing. When I was younger, I always went to the infield for the Babes and beer. Now that I am older, just give me a comfortable seat inside.

Make your seating arrangements for Derby day no later than the 1st week of the meet. (mid Jan) Get there very early (10:00 a.m.), pay $10 and park across from the track. If you are planning to stay in Hot Springs, make your reservations now.

Next to the Kentucky Derby, there is no greater day in horse racing. (Just My Humble Biased Opinion) ;)