PDA

View Full Version : Boycott SONY

Tom
11-13-2005, 12:17 PM
Those little bastard - putting spyware on their CD's and not telling us!
SONY is an iresponsible copmpany and I will never, ever, spend one penny on thier products again,

Hopefully, enough people will finally have had enough and stop patronizing lying thieves like SONY and drive them out of business.

:mad: :ThmbDown: :mad:

DJofSD
11-13-2005, 12:51 PM
I have a tendency to agree with you.

Small example: I'm considering a number of purchases one, a new PC, and two, a DVR. And for both I was considering Sony.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Why should I patronize a company that not only promotes spyware (and what else) but also prevents me from ripping copies of music CDs?

DJofSD

Tom
11-13-2005, 07:44 PM
DJ....we have formed a movement!:jump:

Steve 'StatMan'
11-13-2005, 10:03 PM
DJ....we have formed a movement!:jump:

...and you're going to throw it at them? :D

michiken
11-14-2005, 06:35 AM
This is not just spyware, it is a rootkit!!!!!!! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit)

This software takes over your computer, installs a new default media player and limits your cd burning ability. Even the virus companies have decided to detect it.

This software phones home every time that you play or burn a cd. It affects windows and macs which makes me glad I am running Fedora Linux.

Technical info on its detection and operation is here (http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/11/more-on-sony-dangerous-decloaking.html)

I bought a Sony DVD player this past week as a Christmas present for my niece. After hearing about this screw up, I unwrapped the gift and took it back to the store and EXCHANGED it for another brand.

I understand the digitial rights issue but MY computer is MINE and this is going waaaaaaaay to far. I hope Sony:ThmbDown::ThmbDown::ThmbDown: gets sued out the arse for this stupid move. I will never be a customer of theirs again.

Who says that PA contributors aren't informed? Kudos to the original poster.

DJofSD
11-14-2005, 10:22 AM
For myself this is not too hard a change to make. I've never had much luck with Sony stereo equipment. It always would die a premature death which is not to say it was abused or misused. All my other stereo components work just fine. Some of the pieces are much older than I'd care to admit.

I thought getting both a Sony DVR and PC would facilitate authoring DVDs and guarentee compatibility. But the HX715 I was considering has not been the great box it was anticipated to be. And there are plenty of other PCs out there to replace the aging desktop.

sironara Sony

PaceAdvantage
11-14-2005, 10:29 AM
So we're saying that simply playing an audio cd from SONY through your PC will install this spyware?

What about their DVD burners? Any reports of this software being installed if you were to put one of their DVD burners in your machine? I'm looking to get a newer DVD burner, and I'm quite happy with the old SONY DVD burner I have...

clue
11-14-2005, 08:07 PM
Besides, Apple is the new Sony. :p

Go Steve Jobs, go!

Tom
11-14-2005, 09:39 PM
PA, the only thing I heard about was thier CDs - noting about hardware.

Figman
11-14-2005, 10:22 PM
Another "TOM" Victory!
http://tinyurl.com/7g6hb

DJofSD
11-14-2005, 10:28 PM
A different story I read state the XCP S/W wasn't difficult to remove -- it was impossible even when using the supplied scrubber from Sony.

Kind of reminds me of the problems Intuit had with thier scheme a few years ago trying to protect the installation and execution of Turbo Tax. Major fiasco. From what I've been told, the guy that promoted the idea lost his job because of it. Think the same thing would happen at Sony/BMG? Wait and see how much their sales drop -- especially this time of year!

Tom
11-14-2005, 10:49 PM
Another "TOM" Victory!
http://tinyurl.com/7g6hb

That'll learn 'em! ;)

46zilzal
11-15-2005, 12:34 AM
wait until the radio transmitters start tracking you

DJofSD
11-15-2005, 01:22 AM
Hey. They already do.

Do you ever watch the TV crime programs where they get the information about the cellular telephone calls to help nail the criminal? That's real.

Do you know there's a black box in your car that keeps track of information. And if you have an accident the insurance company can use the data?

Did you know that if you have a teen age driver, you can have real time data monitoring and you can be contacted when the car is being driven in an unsafe manner?

"All secrecy and no privacy." - Mick Jagger

Hosshead
11-15-2005, 08:46 AM
They've also adopted laws in some cities to use Your cellphone (position) to give traffic reports, instead of, (as they do on Ca. freeways) put sensors along the highway.
The problem, is that your whereabouts will be documented, but of course all that information "won't be used by anybody for other reasons".
The only way you won't be able to be tracked, is if you turn your cellphone off. It also won't matter if you are talking on the phone or not, as your phone is constantly "calling in to HQ".

twindouble
11-15-2005, 10:47 AM
They've also adopted laws in some cities to use Your cellphone (position) to give traffic reports, instead of, (as they do on Ca. freeways) put sensors along the highway.
The problem, is that your whereabouts will be documented, but of course all that information "won't be used by anybody for other reasons".
The only way you won't be able to be tracked, is if you turn your cellphone off. It also won't matter if you are talking on the phone or not, as your phone is constantly "calling in to HQ".

With the exception of feeling like it's all an attack on your privacy initially, I get over it. Why? Because from day one we've all have been subjected to the same abuses in one form or another. That's right, many institutions have been keeping track of us right along, what's new? Anyone who thought their personal information was and has been protected is living on another planet be it your tax records, medical or your life time financial record. The computer just gives those that abuse that information much faster way of retrieving it. I feel for those that made a mistake or two along the way, paid their dues but are labeled for life regardless, unless they happen to strike it rich and all is forgiven.

Another reason why it don't get to me is, human nature. Those that are building their data banks will and have been going to extremes compiling all this data that becomes obsolete in a short time, no different from handicappers that do the same thing with racing data that has nothing to do with current conditions. When it comes to marketing people change as they grow and mature, buying habits, tastes, clothing, jobs, medical condition, financial, exercise and so on. So who is going to review all this data and make sense of it with the exception of law enforcement when needed, your talking about millions of people going in different directions in most cases that data is flawed to begin. Let them continue on there quest to get into our lives, it will only crash at some point because it will become unmanageable and to costly to maintain and use effectively.

I don't know about you guys but I go out to be seen, heard and I smile when someone takes my picture, even strangers but when it comes to my home it's off grounds to anyone except those that I invite in. Further more when it gets to a point where your service provider can't protect you from whatever and it becomes to chaotic and untrustworthy they will pay the price, not us. If they make us pay more for that protection, I say screw them and toss the computer out the window or just use it until it crashes. That would be like going out and buying a tool to do a job, the salesmen says you have to buy this and that to make it run and if that don't work, try this. Good luck!

What cracks me up is, here they are tring to follow me on the net but in the course of a MO 15 different people, family and friends will use my computer for different reasons, window shopping, horse racing, study, games, well you name it. So what ever the data says, it's flawed like I said. The only thing I've purched over the internet is my racing accounts and for years if anyone, I mean anyone asks me what my hobby is, I say HORSE RACING.

BillW
11-15-2005, 07:28 PM
Tom,

You have a future being a rebel :lol: :jump:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/technology/2005-11-14-sony-cds_x.htm

DJofSD
11-15-2005, 10:23 PM
Well, gee whiz, TD, why don't you post your SSN and some other personal identification like driver license number and telephone number and mother's maiden name. It's all out there, right? Readily obtained, so, NBD, right?

twindouble
11-15-2005, 10:36 PM
Well, gee whiz, TD, why don't you post your SSN and some other personal identification like driver license number and telephone number and mother's maiden name. It's all out there, right? Readily obtained, so, NBD, right?

DJofSD; I don't think your so naive to think that information can't be had if someone want's it bad enough and for reasons you might not think off even before the internet.

DrugSalvastore
11-16-2005, 12:22 AM

Don't you just love those old American Racing Manuals that DRF used to do!

My dad had the 1979 one---it has the social security number for every licensed jockey who had a mount that past season.

Jerry Bailey is in there---a lot of riders who are still around are in it.

That was an amazing invasion of privacy if you ask me!

Maybe instead of heckling these jocks when we get a poor ride in a key situation---we should just walk up to them with a stack of hundreds, read off their social security number---and say, "I told the lady at the bank (jock's SSN #) and she gave me all this!--thanks mister!"

That would mess with their heads a little.

Tom
11-20-2005, 12:49 PM
Sony made available a fix for the program on its CDs that allowed hackers into your computer. Problem is, the "fix" has the SAME PROBLEM!

First, Sony thinkg we are all crooks, now they think we are all idiots!
I can never, ever trust this company again. Obviouosy, they have no respect for their customers.
Snail mail them a turd for the holidays....should spice up the old mail room! :eek:

BillW
11-20-2005, 01:10 PM
Relevant article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051119/ap_on_hi_te/music_copy_protection

Tom
11-20-2005, 04:48 PM
The industry is stupid. Before all this, if someone were to offer me copies of music, I would decline, being basically honest. Today, I would provide a wish list of what I want - I have no compassion for bad-businesses. Screw them, and more power to those who rob them blind. *spit*

BillW
11-21-2005, 11:33 PM
Tom,

You'll like this one:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051121/tc_nm/sony_texas_dc

twindouble
11-22-2005, 09:25 AM
The industry is stupid. Before all this, if someone were to offer me copies of music, I would decline, being basically honest. Today, I would provide a wish list of what I want - I have no compassion for bad-businesses. Screw them, and more power to those who rob them blind. *spit*

The question here is, did Sony know they were opening the door to hackers? I think they have every right to protect their product, how would you like it if your had produced a real hot product, opened a store front and meanwhile someone was raiding your wharehouse laughing at you because there's nothing you can do about it? Now that's a real big problem, same goes for copy rights.

The culperts aren't the manufactures or producers of music, it's the common thief and your not one of them but it's easy to understand how huge the black market can be. In my mind, "Screw The Thief!" This might be to simple but you'll get the idea. First thing I woud do is, lable the CD's, Warning, if this CD is coppied to any computer, your hard drive will crash and you'll lose all your data." As far as downloading or sharing unauthorized music or movies the same would apply! Just the lable and red flag alone would put a halt to a good % of the thievery.

T.D.

toetoe
11-22-2005, 06:03 PM
Maybe we could all swap cell phones to thwart the tracker.

twindouble
11-22-2005, 09:23 PM
What I was suggesting was, put a virus on the CD's so they can't copy it or download it or share it, but warn them. What Sony did was wrong by not warning it was there. There's warning lables on just about everything you buy nowadays and it's within the law to do so. Miss use a product you could die, I'm just talking about killing their thieving computer or burner. Like I said everyone has a right to protect their property and rights. How many here have a gun or two in their home to protect themselves from theives? Maybe what I'm suggesting is a little harsh but they can at least do something to make the thieves pay enough so they won't do it again.

No one should condone what's going on, to suggest someone tring to protect their product will alienate consumers is off the wall. The fact of matter is we except thievery as a built in cost of doing business and honest people end up paying for it with higher prices.

DJofSD
11-28-2005, 12:12 PM
The saga continues: I just read that Sony continues to put anti-piracy software on their CDs but a different flavor.

Valuist
11-28-2005, 03:14 PM
I definitely agree w/Tom on this one. I'm fighting the Spyware battle on my home computer right now. Sony will never get a penny from me.

DJofSD
12-30-2005, 01:46 PM
Sony has offered free music downloads to as many as 11 million people to settle multiple lawsuits stemming from their screwed up copy protection scheme. Part of the proposed settlement would require Sony to no longer make music CDs containing anti-piracy software.

Tom
12-30-2005, 03:45 PM
Sony has offered free music downloads to as many as 11 million people to settle multiple lawsuits stemming from their screwed up copy protection scheme. Part of the proposed settlement would require Sony to no longer make music CDs containing anti-piracy software.

Instead, they will now put then in their "free downloads!":D