PDA

View Full Version : Internet problems

lsbets
11-12-2005, 03:19 PM
I have no problem getting onto brisbet, PA, and most other sites that I usually go to, but today I cannot get onto google, yahoo, or amazon. Is anyone else having this problem or is it something on my computer? This just started about 20 minutes ago.

kitts
11-12-2005, 03:28 PM
No problems here in Nevada. I use Netscape 7.2 browser and cable modem.

BillW
11-12-2005, 03:30 PM
I've seen this happen when a major artery to my ISP was taken out by an accident or construction crew. Typically ISP's use multiple lines such that part of the i'net can disappear under these circumstances.

Bill

I should note that this is a lot more common with a small local ISP. Typically the big guys have their DNS's spread far enough apart that a broken line is not an issue.

BIG RED
11-12-2005, 03:33 PM
No problems here isbets

lsbets
11-12-2005, 03:35 PM
Crap - I was really hoping that it was a universal problem and not something specific to my computer.

Anyone have any idea what might be wrong? My e-mail for home and business is hosted on yahoo, so not being able to access it is a real problem.

BillW
11-12-2005, 03:40 PM
Crap - I was really hoping that it was a universal problem and not something specific to my computer.

Anyone have any idea what might be wrong? My e-mail for home and business is hosted on yahoo, so not being able to access it is a real problem.

Did you call your ISP tech support?

lsbets
11-12-2005, 03:43 PM
Since I would normally go online to get the number and I can't get to sbcyahoo to look it up, I haven't. Argh! And now when I try to click on a smilie to put in here, all it does is move the page up to the top. ITs something on my computer. If I ever get my hands on a virus or trojan writer, he is in for the beating of his life.

lsbets
11-12-2005, 04:08 PM
Its definatly my computer - my laptop gets on all the sites just fine.

JustRalph
11-12-2005, 05:04 PM
Its definatly my computer - my laptop gets on all the sites just fine.

don't be so sure..........don't go making big changes yet. Those internet problems bill mentioned can be off and on and can change every ten seconds. Wait and see.........

do you know how to use "tracert" command?

at a command line (dos window) try

"tracert www.google.com" (http://www.google.com)

see what happens.

lsbets
11-12-2005, 05:28 PM
I'm talking to the online help from sbc yahoo - even that's been outsourced overseas. The grammar is just painful. Plus, after an hour we can't figure out what's going on.

lsbets
11-12-2005, 06:52 PM
What is it, close to three hours later. I installed firefox and eveything works fine. Even more reason to hate Microsoft.