PDA

View Full Version : Excellent Interview of a Jockey

Pace Cap'n
11-12-2005, 08:26 AM
In this interview of retired British jockey Lester Piggott (conducted some years back) he discusses riding techniques I have not seen mentioned elsewhere, such as "strength" as it relates to jockeys, the "balance" of a horse, and how those two items contribute to a strong finish.

BTW, a "stone" is fourteen pounds.

sport.guardian.co.uk/horseracing/theobserver/story/0,10541,1635337,00.html (http://sport.guardian.co.uk/horseracing/theobserver/story/0,10541,1635337,00.html)

kenwoodallpromos
11-12-2005, 12:06 PM
I learned a few things!

RobinFromIreland
11-12-2005, 01:05 PM
I thought that was a terrific interview, thanks for that link. Piggot may not have been good at school, but in racing, he's the master.

PurplePower
11-12-2005, 03:41 PM
In this interview of retired British jockey Lester Piggott (conducted some years back) he discusses riding techniques I have not seen mentioned elsewhere, such as "strength" as it relates to jockeys, the "balance" of a horse, and how those two items contribute to a strong finish..........That was best explanation of relationship of the importance of "balance" and what it means to a racehorse that I have seen in print. Also, Lester's discussion of the nature of a horse to run when frightened and desire to be in middle of herd is so important to understanding training and how some horses just won't "leave the pack".

foregoforever
11-12-2005, 07:51 PM
"She goes into the gate as if she was going into church, and she comes out as if hell were after her." :D

What a great interview! Thanks for the link.

There's always a debate about how the media should cover horseracing or how the industry should promote itself in order to widen its appeal. Some suggest more emphasis on the betting. The jockeys suggest promoting themselves, not surprisingly. And the networks seem to go on and on with the "human interest" angle.

My suggestion would be stuff like this that actually teaches something about the sport. It amazes me how I can watch 4 hours of the Breeders Cup telecast and come out of it not knowing a damn bit more about the "technical" aspects of the sport than I went in with. Football fans obsess over "X's and O's", baseball fans over manager's strategic decisions, golf fans over swing dynamics ... and even poker fans get fed all sorts of strategic information ... while horseracing fans get next to nothing.

46zilzal
11-12-2005, 08:41 PM
Also, Lester's discussion of the nature of a horse to run when frightened and desire to be in middle of herd is so important to understanding training and how some horses just won't "leave the pack".

read Desmond Morris' great book HORSEWATCHING and you will find a lot about this same idea

toetoe
11-15-2005, 12:26 AM
As I recall, Piggott's main point was that the thighs are used to steer and control the horse, and maybe that leg strength is the advantage the great ones have, besides brains, of course. My theory is that that's why we see some wonderful female jockeys, as the typical woman has Kreed-like or Toetoe-like upper-body strength. When it comes to "hauling" strength with the legs, though, women have a natural head start..

46zilzal
11-15-2005, 12:38 AM
I heard that for an entire season, Piggot knew that the finish line was NOT parallel (was actually closer near the outside fence) and other riders wondered why, in close races, he would take so many of his mounts wide.....Was fixed the next season

Pace Cap'n
11-15-2005, 06:46 AM
As I recall, Piggott's main point was that the thighs are used to steer and control the horse, .

Where in the article did you see that?

toetoe
11-15-2005, 01:50 PM
I meant to make it clear, it was in his book ... I think. I think his point was that it's useless to steer the head to the rail as the body is careening toward the parking lot.
Also, the finish line, presuming they use a light beam, is drawn in afterwards. Now THERE you could commit some skulduggery.

Wiley
11-15-2005, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the link Pace Cap'n. Interview is over 35 years old and still very relevant. Lester sure opened up after the first few one word responses. Alot of great info on race riding.

From the interview:
Lester: "I told you when you asked about motor-car racing that I liked to try and win - the winning isn't all that important, it's the wanting to win that matters."

Harris: "But I've noticed, very occasionally, that if you've won a really great race, like the Derby, in fine style, there is a ghost of a smile on your face as you enter the winner's enclosure. What are you thinking about then?"

Lester: "About Dad saying: 'What about the times you didn't win?"

Great stuff. Sounded to me like his drive to win came from trying to please his father.