PDA

View Full Version : ESP Predicted My Great Day

Rook
11-10-2005, 10:38 PM
Yesterday, I woke up with the Moody Blues song "22,000 Days" in my head. It stuck there long enough for me to sing it several times and my wife picked up on it too. This is not the first time I have sung it but it is a rare occurence. I have a 50,000+ song collection, and this tune, like most, takes months or years to make it back into my brain's rotation.

My day started in excellent fashion with a $10k winner at Beulah and the evening ended with big wins at Hoosier and Sam Houston. When I added up the totals from my 2 racing accounts and my brokerage account (+$588) I got goose bumps when I saw that the day's total was $22,064.:eek: :eek:

In my life, I have spent about 2,000 days betting on horses and I don't recall ever having a day + or - $4k of this amount.

If I wake up some day with a song like "I'm A Loser" in my head, you can bet that I'm going to find something else to do that day!:)

Zaf
11-10-2005, 11:35 PM
Awesome Rook !!!

The Moody Blues Rock !!!

ZAFONIC

kenwoodallpromos
11-11-2005, 12:17 AM
Better get rid of any rapper "50 cent" songs in your collection!LOL!

Zaf
11-11-2005, 12:22 AM
Good One Ken.

ZAFONIC

JackS
11-11-2005, 12:33 AM
Hey Rook, drinks on the house right? :cool:

Rook
11-11-2005, 12:47 AM
Awesome Rook !!!

The Moody Blues Rock !!!

ZAFONIC

Yeah, I really admire all those old rockers that are still able tour longer than guys a third of their age.

Rook
11-11-2005, 12:49 AM
Better get rid of any rapper "50 cent" songs in your collection!LOL!

I've always lived in a time warp, so the only remote chance there is of me adding him to my collection is if I get sentimental about this decade in about 30 or 40 years.

Rook
11-11-2005, 01:01 AM
Hey Rook, drinks on the house right? :cool:

Sure, Jack, if you are in Toronto, I'll take care of ya.:cool: We'll have to drink in this house though, cause I'm not leaving until this winning streak comes to an end. Just like last year, I'm on a major October and November roll. You've got to strike while the iron is hot and I've got to make all the dough I can before the winter doldrums set in. (Tampa Bay Downs was indecipherable to me last year)

Topcat
11-11-2005, 02:49 AM
Congrats and good song-
now try humming this old Elvis rags to riches song:

I know I'd go from rags to riches
If you would only say you cared
And though my pockets may be empty
I'd be a millionaire....<G>

although it doesn't sound like your in rags these days-good job :ThmbUp:

john spencer
11-11-2005, 03:56 AM
Well done Rook. Sound like you have the game well and truly checkmated. It is always good to hear of the success being had of our fellow punters. Trusting that you have further success before the winter blues set in !

John

rokitman
11-11-2005, 09:51 AM
A 50,000 + song collection?! Holy jeezuz.

JustRalph
11-11-2005, 10:18 AM

I think Dave Schwartz gets pretty close to that

Rook
11-11-2005, 10:21 AM

Yeah, it's pretty massive. I'm the sort of guy who gets a one track mind and throws every ounce of energy into my current interest. Before getting married, having a kid and resuming my handicapping career, I spent 3 years being fanatical about collecting every song that hit the Billboard Top 40 from 1955 thru 1999.

After I accomplised that, I would rip every worthwhile CD I could get my hands on. With 5 library cards including the gigantic Toronto library system, I had no trouble averaging over 100 CDs a week. I don't know the actual song total because after 50,000 I ran out of hard drive space, even with 1.14 terrabytes worth of hard drives.

I view myself as a music librarian. I didn't just rip them into the non-lossy ape format, I indexed them by their genre and I put the proper year in each of the track's tags, which could sometimes take hours for the more obscure artists.

I was very happy working on that hobby but I've put it aside because serious handicapping demands all of my attention.

rokitman
11-11-2005, 10:47 AM
I know that "one track mind" phenomenon very well. Can be a dangerous affliction, as I'm sure you are aware. Cool that you steered it into that massive music collection. Something that lengthy and complete has gotta be worth quite a few bucks.

twindouble
11-11-2005, 11:07 AM
"Yeah, it's pretty massive. I'm the sort of guy who gets a one track mind and throws every ounce of energy into my current interest. Before getting married, having a kid and resuming my handicapping career, I spent 3 years being fanatical about collecting every song that hit the Billboard Top 40 from 1955 thru 1999."

Rook, congrads on the wins. My brother has a few thousand records and albums in his collection as well, he not only loves the music of the 50's he's still there. LOL. From what I gather he has been mentioned in a Rare record publication a couple times. The only thing I ever collected seriously was DRF charts. :cool:

JustRalph
11-11-2005, 11:31 AM
Main Entry: ob·sess http://www.m-w.com/images/audio.gif (javascript:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?obsess01.wav=obsess'))
Pronunciation: &b-'ses, äb-
Function: verb
Etymology: Latin obsessus, past participle of obsidEre to frequent, besiege, from ob- against + sedEre to sit -- more at OB- (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/ob-), SIT (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/sit)
transitive senses : to haunt or excessively preoccupy the mind of <was obsessed with the idea>
intransitive senses : to engage in obsessive (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/obsessive) thinking : become obsessed (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/obsessed) with an idea

Rook
11-11-2005, 11:42 AM
I know that "one track mind" phenomenon very well. Can be a dangerous affliction, as I'm sure you are aware. Cool that you steered it into that massive music collection. Something that lengthy and complete has gotta be worth quite a few bucks.

Well, I've never made a dime off of it but it sure has brought me a lot of pleasure. I like creating gifts like 30 CD sets of what I consider to be the best music from each year.

My classroom had music going for several hours each day. It is tons of fun exposing 10 year olds to music you listened to as a kid. Before they reach grade 6, kids have a very open mind about what is cool. The CD burner in my classroom was constantly churning away as the students put together CDs of the songs they like the most.

The last 10 minutes of the school day were spent playing Name That Tune. I did all I could to counteract the influences of Brittany Spears and mean spirited rap.

rokitman
11-11-2005, 01:44 PM
That's a real nice idea with the gift sets. The school stuff too. We'd all be a lot better off if we had a teacher that "jiggled" our minds with music. I'd imagine that you've already seen the studies that correlate music with higher math scores and other increased learning abilities. Makes sense to me. Not sure why, exactly. Just seems to make sense.

Rook
11-11-2005, 02:42 PM
That's a real nice idea with the gift sets. The school stuff too. We'd all be a lot better off if we had a teacher that "jiggled" our minds with music. I'd imagine that you've already seen the studies that correlate music with higher math scores and other increased learning abilities. Makes sense to me. Not sure why, exactly. Just seems to make sense.

Whenever you do something different in education, you open yourself up to criticism. I know that people on staff were making comments behind my back about how much music I played in my class but I was always ready to defend the practice if I was openly challenged.

I did my own studies regarding the effect that music had on numeracy. Several times in my career, I gave the students 100 question speed tests and alternated the days whether music was on in the background. When I compared the results, the students typically worked more efficiently with the music on. It seems that 70's Philly soul music is less distracting to kids than being able to hear bodily sounds or other miscellaneous noises.

rokitman
11-11-2005, 02:55 PM
Making comments behind your back as they bored the kids to death.

It would be interesting to apply it to handicappers and see the results. I'll lay 1:2 that performance goes up.

PaceAdvantage
11-11-2005, 03:23 PM
Was the Jack Black character in 'School of Rock' based on Rook? LOL

Rook
11-11-2005, 03:58 PM
Was the Jack Black character in 'School of Rock' based on Rook? LOL

:D :D There are some similarities especially our weights, but the difference is that I never learned to play an instrument. I was supposed to in grades 7 and 8 but each year our music teacher got pregnant and they never brought in a band person to replace her.:mad:

RXB
11-11-2005, 03:58 PM
I gave the students 100 question speed tests and alternated the days whether music was on in the background. When I compared the results, the students typically worked more efficiently with the music on. It seems that 70's Philly soul music is less distracting to kids than being able to hear bodily sounds or other miscellaneous noises.

Better Handicapping with The O'Jays! I'm changing my sig line and also going out to buy a few Philly soul CD's.

banacek
11-11-2005, 04:09 PM
Here's the song that plays in my head often as I get older

The ponies run, the girls are young,
The odds are there to beat.
You win a while, and then it's done –
Your little winning streak.

(Leonard Cohen)

Rook
11-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Better Handicapping with The O'Jays! I'm changing my sig line and also going out to buy a few Philly soul CD's.

The first one you get should contain the excellent Intruders song, "(Win, Place or Show) She's A Winner" which hit #12 on the R&B charts in 1972. It's the only hit that I know that features track sounds and a race call. It will definitely get you and any other horseplayer pumped up for a day at the races.