PDA

View Full Version : Bet-Againsts Friday

toetoe
11-10-2005, 08:35 PM
Hollywood Park, race 4:

You Beauty. Finished second for M50,000 on 1/5/2005, had four works starting in September, then was entered 10/15/2005 in a M25,000, was a vet scratch. Now, after two more 5f works, is entered for M25,000 and is at 2-to-1 on the m.l. Singling in pick-six not recommended.

H.P., race 6:

Aggressive. This kind we must be aggressive AGAINST, or pass the race. Good races for 16,000 and 20,000 now Pender drops him in for 8,000, two starts after claiming him for 20,000. 9-to-5 on the m.l. Another non-singlable.

toetoe
11-14-2005, 11:59 PM
Both won, $6 and $3.60. Sheesh. That's bad, even for me.

falconridge
11-15-2005, 07:53 PM
Both won, $6 and $3.60. Sheesh. That's bad, even for me.That was sound 'capping anyway, toe. Wasn't Aggressive life-and-death to prevail over a field of glacially slow cripples? And the dividend on You Beauty (6.40) must have been better than you anticipated--certainly more than I thought it would be. Nevertheless, in requiring nearly 1:12 to traverse the six panels on a night the track was playing fast, she hardly scorched the loam.

I know I needn't assume the role of the Wise Old Handicapper with you. Mark these down as inverse-key heats. Anything coming out of these races should be demerited just for having been in them.

toetoe
11-15-2005, 08:33 PM
Hey, this is great in here. Like a private message.

Now Ridge, glacially slow is a bit harsh. I was thinking more like geologic time, or Sphinx-slouching-toward-Bethlehem time. Better not get involved in a photo finish, that one. Nasally challenged, don't you know.

falconridge
11-15-2005, 09:02 PM
slouching-toward-Bethlehem time.Leave it to an Irishman to sound the alarum about the Second Coming--and to identify ...

"[...] what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches toward Bethlehem to be born?"

And let us never forget those eternally relevant lines from the first stanza of the same poem:

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."

Turning and turning in the widening gyre,

--Falcon Ridge (Come again, Falconer? [Can't hear you!])

toetoe
11-15-2005, 11:08 PM
I protest! Mme. Sand has demanded equal time. A George co-stanza, if you will. If you won't, I'll TOTALLY back you on this one, Ridge. She's got some fantasy about a guy named Norman Conquest. As Merle Kessler, a.k.a. Ian Shoals, is wont to say, I gotta go.