PDA

View Full Version : YouBet-Gemstar deal!

andicap
05-21-2001, 09:44 AM
Story in today's WSJ about You Bet and Gemstar going into a partnership that could eventually lead to a merger. Apparently both realized they couldn't make it alone. Means You Bet will get access to TVG tracks and vice versa.
If you don't have access to WSJ, I'm sure bloodhorse and thoroughbredtimes.com will have story today. Got leaked to Journal over the weekend.
You need a subscription to get to WSJ content and I don't want to republish story -- copyright violation.

andicap

andicap
05-21-2001, 09:50 AM
here's a link to a Reuters story

http://www.zdii.com/industry_list.asp?mode=news&doc_id=RTN216694360847&ticker=GMST

Que
05-21-2001, 07:42 PM
That's a positive develoment.... not to mention that YouBet's stock (UBET) was up over 80% today.

GR1@HTR
05-21-2001, 11:20 PM
Wonderful news...Finally we might be able to bet all tracks, all the time, through one outlet. A one stop shop!

05-22-2001, 07:37 AM
You know what they say about something that sounds to good to be true. Don't want to rain on the parade, but there could be some negatives laying in the weeds.

How long will UBET use call-a-bet for wagers?
Will UBET customers be be forced to open a TVG/UBET account?

UBET is 5.95$ a month TVG is $0.25 a wager up to $20 a month Max. Will UBET/TVG raise the monthly fee?

What will Magna do? Will they keep Magna tracks on TVG/UBET or pull them to a in house operation. Could end up with same stand-off we have today just the tracks we have access to will change.

Time will tell.

andicap
05-22-2001, 08:48 AM
Mrdezo,
all excellent questions! You should be a journalist. (except that you'd probably be out-of-work right now)

andicap

Tom
05-22-2001, 08:52 PM
On the surface, this sounds great-maybe three lightweights can figure out a way to compelment each other and become successful. Hope the each doesn't contribute it's worst ideas.
No way do I want TV racing, unless it is free and on cable, but Internet racing is my cup of tea. YouBet has a great set up and perfect concept-they just lack the resources to actually do it. Maybe now they will. And I would gladdly pay more than $6 a month (maybe $10)
if they could provide better service and more tracks.
Keeping my fingers crossed.

Tom

06-09-2001, 09:16 AM
Just read a transcript of a UBET conf call yesterday 6/8/01. On the call Bob Fell (CEO UBET) said that a second wagering account will be reguired on the new Oregon wagering hub. No information was provided on if this will be a TVG type account (ie $0.25@wager, $20 @ mo. max), but I would think it would be. No information on what tracks can be wagered this this new account vs your old Call-a_bet account.