PDA

View Full Version : The Place Horse

timtam
11-09-2005, 11:01 PM
Was there a book out about 5 years ago which focused on the Place Horse

which highlighted exactas? I don't know if it was part of Dick Mitchells

handicapping course or something else on that line.

Dan Montilion
11-10-2005, 12:51 AM
The Place Horse? That would be my win bet.

Dan Montilion

Overlay
11-10-2005, 12:56 AM
Dick Mitchell's thoughts on finding the place horse are included in both his Commonsense videotape series and in his How to Play the Exacta and Quinella on the Cynthia Publishing (http://www.cynthiapublishing.com) website, and perhaps in other titles he has written (such as Commonsense Betting).

cnollfan
11-10-2005, 09:35 AM
Also, check "Eleven Winning Exacta Situations" by Mark Cramer.

Topcat
11-10-2005, 12:51 PM
Huey Mahl had an interesting paper called dutching the place horse-very interesting approach.

Houndog
11-10-2005, 02:57 PM
Doc Sartin came out with a manual some time ago called the 55% Solution. It focused on some characteristics of the place horse that many times was very different than the win horse.

JustRalph
11-10-2005, 04:17 PM
The Place Horse? That would be my win bet.

Dan Montilion

followed up by "the Show horse" who is usually my bet.........to Win-Place

46zilzal
11-10-2005, 04:28 PM
Doc Sartin came out with a manual some time ago called the 55% Solution. It focused on some characteristics of the place horse that many times was very different than the win horse.

the CONTRA-ENERGY horse for the distance...If the winner's profile is EARLY to EARLY/PRESSER, the place horse often is a sustained/presser

Overlay
11-10-2005, 08:41 PM
My personal take on finding the place horse is to look for a horse that rates among the leaders in the field on potential speed considered by itself, but lags a bit behind the competition in current condition, so that it's not quite in shape to exploit its speed to the maximum extent possible.

kenwoodallpromos
11-10-2005, 11:17 PM
Anything on Place horse would be a good read.
I have seen many place horses who are just not what I call competitive. At times you can spot them in the PP's- going wide when not neccessary, not responding to the whip or urging when in tight with another.

mcikey01
11-18-2005, 12:55 PM
TimTam:

Try this link (page17) for information on several systems for sale that focused on place betting.... Caveat Emptor:

http://www.handicappingedge.com/2002_fall_catalog2.pdf

banacek
11-18-2005, 02:53 PM
TimTam:

Try this link (page17) for information on several systems for sale that focused on place betting.... Caveat Emptor:

http://www.handicappingedge.com/2002_fall_catalog2.pdf

Just wondering if that website is still usable? The catalogs are 3 years old. (RPM is still in business I assume?) I phoned a couple of years ago for the full paper catalog, but I all I ever got was a small flier. On the bright side, probably saved me some money - but I always got a kick out of reading the ads.

melman
11-18-2005, 10:29 PM
For exacta's I like to use as "the place horse" horses who in the past show that they like to run 2nd or 3rd. They tend to keep doing the same thing. :)

Overlay
11-19-2005, 06:12 AM
For exacta's I like to use as "the place horse" horses who in the past show that they like to run 2nd or 3rd. They tend to keep doing the same thing. :)

I wonder what the net result would have been for someone betting an ALL-Jacques Who exacta wheel in every one of his three-year-old starts. :)

midnight
11-19-2005, 02:45 PM
Jacques Who actually became a respectable allowance horse later in his career and won a small stakes. He was also a good broodmare sire.

Little known trivia: Jacques Who was in Secretariat's first race and also finished out of the money.

captvancouver
11-21-2005, 07:50 AM
William Scott deals with the situation where you see that the crowd favorite seems to be about equal in chances to win with the long shot. Rather than bet the long shot, he will exacto the favorite and the longshot..of course looking at the odds. For $2 you get a much grerater ROI.Usually the crowd fav and long shot are either polar opposites in running style,or 1,2, in an early speed course. Just going from memeory here, but it raises some interesting issues.

Capt

Lefty
11-21-2005, 12:16 PM
banacek, yes RPM still in business. I just got their new catalog. 30 pages printed on slick paper with a heavier paper cover.