PDA

View Full Version : Out of the mouths of babes

andicap
11-06-2005, 10:28 AM
After taking my daughter to see "Dreamer" yesterday - a great, great family movie by the way -- she convinced me that teaching people to handicap on a basic/intermediate level wasn't all that hard.
(WARNING: Spoiler alert if you don't wand to know the ending).

In the race, the horse, Sonyador (sp?) gets stuck in last after the jockey gets pushed out of his irons. (In the real world, I know the horse would have no shot -- but this is the movies, OK?) She comes back to win in a head-to-head stretch drive.

After the movie, she said to me, "the horse won because it saved its energy and the other horses got tired." Well, that was a brilliant observation for a 6 year old -- making me a proud daddy. The first quarter in the BC Classic race in the movie went in 22.1 so you knew the leaders were coming back. That's how Sonyador won -- the pace fell apart.
I asked her how she knew this -- I thought I had tried to explain it to her once -- but she said from running races in the schoolyard with her friends. She would let them get the lead and then the kids --like most 2 yr old horses -- would run too fast too early and tire out. (run a high %E) and my daughter would pick up the pieces.
I then explained what would happen if the kids were running really slowly -- that she should run closer to the front because they wouldn't tire out and she grasped it instantly.
She has pace handicapping 50% down already. Next we'll tackle positional handicapping and she'll be all set to go.

BTW, ---

Those critics who panned this movie aren't the target audience. It's kids, and my 6 yr-old daughter loved it. I thought it was cute, inoffensive and enjoyed the inside racing stuff (yes, there was some misinformation, contrivances, impossible to believe stuff in there -- but repeat after me, "It's only a movie." Look what hollywood does in its biopics. They change facts all the time in the interest of the dramatic license.)

I still think NTRA blew it big time by not getting behind this film completely to promote the Breeder's Cup. It's a very positive film for horse racing and one kids would love.

rokitman
11-06-2005, 10:44 AM
Previews say "Based on a true story." Do you know who that story is supposed to be based on? I know that stretch that BOATS stuff quite far.

joeyspicks
11-06-2005, 11:25 AM
Its a MOVIE.....and a good one at that. My niece and nephew enjoyed it tremendously. Its based loosely on the story of Mariah's Storm. Enjoy with a child you love and turn the inner critic off. :ThmbUp:

DrugSalvastore
11-06-2005, 12:29 PM
Its based loosely on the story of Mariah's Storm.

I still haven't seen that movie yet---and I probably won't.

I was a fan of Mariah's Storm.....and I'm sure that the true story of Mariah's Storm is more interesting than the bogus story in the movie.

The stud fee for Giant's Causeway has just been raised to 300K! He, of course, is the first foal out of Mariah's Storm.

I don't like movies much anyway---I still think Office Space is by far the best movie I've ever seen.

andicap
11-06-2005, 01:49 PM
I still haven't seen that movie yet---and I probably won't.

I was a fan of Mariah's Storm.....and I'm sure that the true story of Mariah's Storm is more interesting than the bogus story in the movie.

The stud fee for Giant's Causeway has just been raised to 300K! He, of course, is the first foal out of Mariah's Storm.

I don't like movies much anyway---I still think Office Space is by far the best movie I've ever seen.

DrugS, the movie ain't aimed at you -- tho its nice that Joey liked it. Demographics, it's all about demographics.

i never would have paid money to see it if I didn't have a daughter.

And the movie is "inspired by a true story," which is far more tenuous in Hollywood speak than "based on a true story," which is pretty loose to begin with.
Based on a true story means they took the true story and changed some or most of the facts or took some charactors and made them into composites to keep it simpler and less time consuming.
Inspired by a true story means they took the original story, kept a kernel or two of the spirit of the story and changed the names, facts, etc.

Law & Order episodes are "inspired" by true stories.
SeaBiscuit was based on a true story.

The closest thing to a true story in the movies are Errol Mann documentaries or something like "March of the Penguins."

And yes, I agree, Office Space is one of the funniest movies in the last 20 years. I can't watch it enough. It's a comedy with a lot of flair. ;)

GameTheory
11-06-2005, 02:07 PM
DrugS, the movie ain't aimed at you -- tho its nice that Joey liked it. Demographics, it's all about demographics.

i never would have paid money to see it if I didn't have a daughter.

And the movie is "inspired by a true story," which is far more tenuous in Hollywood speak than "based on a true story," which is pretty loose to begin with.
Based on a true story means they took the true story and changed some or most of the facts or took some charactors and made them into composites to keep it simpler and less time consuming.
Inspired by a true story means they took the original story, kept a kernel or two of the spirit of the story and changed the names, facts, etc.

Law & Order episodes are "inspired" by true stories.
SeaBiscuit was based on a true story.

The closest thing to a true story in the movies are Errol Mann documentaries or something like "March of the Penguins."

And yes, I agree, Office Space is one of the funniest movies in the last 20 years. I can't watch it enough. It's a comedy with a lot of flair. ;)
They don't say "based on a true story" anymore -- they say "based on true events" or "inspired by true events".

Both of these phrases make me irrationally angry when I hear them -- corporate legalese management-speak doubletalk has pervaded so far as to make the old "true story" disclaimer unacceptable, apparently. I grieve for society.