PDA

View Full Version : focus 2000

06-17-2002, 09:51 AM
could i get any opinions on the focus 2000 program?

Lefty
06-17-2002, 12:16 PM
I like the fps numbers and you can change the paceline setting. The default is best of last 3 which works well. It has soime other ratings too which are unique to the prg but the little i've worked with it I just pace handicap with the fps numbers. Focus has numbers for early late and all the fractions. Never worked much with db so can't tell you if that works well or not.
I like the fact that it can use the TSN .50 file.
I don't like the fact that the fact that it has one of those install uninstall copy protect schemes. It comes with 2 installs.
It also has a very nice and complete manual and updates to the prgm are free.

Mr. Blonde
07-19-2002, 11:35 PM
bump

Lefty
07-20-2002, 12:05 PM
Mr. Blonde, What?

bill
07-21-2002, 01:24 AM
chuck

i think when he said bump that meant he wanted to keep mesg om top

how you been doing

bill

Mr. Blonde
07-21-2002, 01:58 AM
Yes, that is what I intended.
It's standard procedure on message boards.
I wanted to see if anyone else had anything to say about this focus 2000 program.

penguinfan
07-21-2002, 10:18 AM
I tried this progam on 2 different occasions via the rent to own plan and had nothing but dissapointing results. The reason I tried it a second time was I had heard alot of good things about this program and the rational behind it was good, also I tried it the first time on tracks that had alot of maiden races and very cheap claimers so I though if I tried it on a better track it might work out different. I got the same results both times and while I have heard good things about this one, I think there is better out there for less money that will cost about 50% less per track per day to use.
penguinfan

Lefty
07-21-2002, 11:58 AM
Bill, oh, yeah, never thght of it. Been doing fine. Think i'm going to get a dish and stayhome more. The racebook scene getting wearing on my temper with all the aggravating types that seem to gravitate my way.

Mr. penquinfan, don't get that last part about other prgms being cheaper to use. Seems like you're alluding to data files and Focus uses TSN .50 and with the Asvantage plan you can get ALL trks and results for $59 mo. Don't know of data any cheaper.
I didn't play them but the Focus Dutch using the Db only had 4 plays for me at AP. 2 wins. $7 and $27 and no I didn't get 'em cause another db had diff horses. Them old switches...

jackad
07-21-2002, 12:55 PM
Lefty,
I thought the TSN Advantage Plan provided unlimited download of the Quick Play PPs, and not the TSN Past Performance Data Files required for Focus. Am I wrong? Thanks.
Jack

Lefty
07-21-2002, 02:00 PM
I haven't chkd it for myself but was told by reliable source could get the data files and results in advantage plan.
Another told me he dl's procaps data for 59 and it works in Equisim and Focus.
Guess i'll chk it out further.

JimG
07-21-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by jackad
Lefty,
I thought the TSN Advantage Plan provided unlimited download of the Quick Play PPs, and not the TSN Past Performance Data Files required for Focus. Am I wrong? Thanks.
Jack

Jackad,

It does include the ProCap datafile which some programs can use interchangeably with the TSN Past Performance file.

Jim

Mr. Blonde
07-21-2002, 07:57 PM
Lefty,

How did the Focus database methodology work out for you?
Problems?
Results?
Still use it?

Lefty
07-21-2002, 08:14 PM
Mr. blonde, just started "fooling" with db again now that enough races starting to "show' for Ap. The f10 button gives you a dutch if it's a 60% prob. Had 2 today and in one race one of horses scratched and I didn;t have computer with me to refig the race so played the one that was left and it pd a nice $15.60. Have 3 prgms I'm playing with with the .50 Tsn files.

Lefty
07-21-2002, 08:17 PM
Forgot this: I did have a prob once and prm gave error msg and wouldn't open. John Cole gave me some codes and straightened it out. I think maybe my Norton Antivirus might have interfered with it. Only happened once.

Mr. Blonde
07-22-2002, 12:26 AM
Lefty,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
I should assume then that you dutch your plays then?
2 or 3 horse dutch?

Also, do you just figure AP or do you do other tracks?

Thanks again.

Lefty
07-22-2002, 12:40 PM
Mr Blonde, The Focus f10 button when it has enough data and good results it gives a 2 horse dutch. Right now i'm just playing elp and Ap and Elp haven't got enough races of a type for db to give anything but it does give the other nos such as the fps numbers and all the other things prgm has like ustd and spd nos and fractions in fps and pace. Lotssa stuff.
From my reading of Advantage plan it gives you data files for procaps and i'm told these files work in Focus and Equisim but I don't think they work in some of my other prgms.

Mr. Blonde
07-23-2002, 12:04 AM
Lefty,

When you get enough races in your database, let me know the results.

In the meantime, I'll check with the "horses mouth", the folks at ADPA, to see if those Procap files work with Focus. That would be a great way to go for me, as I like to get in a bunch of tracks and get some spot plays via simulcasting.

Lefty
07-23-2002, 03:26 AM
AP already bringing a few. I'll let you know when Elp comes through. Be interesting to see if the db can make a profit on the dutch play.

Kappa
10-14-2002, 07:44 PM
This thread seemed to stop last July. Anyone have any additional data/thoughts concerning Focus 2000??

Jaguar
10-15-2002, 01:26 PM
Kappa,

Always liked FOCUS and hold the opinion that John's baby was brilliantly conceived.

The only really significant weak spot has always been the betting screens. FOCUS has never been great about targeting key horses, and thereby reducing the cost of the bet.

A really strong program gives you more singletons, and fewer horses in 2nd and 3rd place. Also, I am very disappointed with the layout of the new betting screen, difficult to read and scattered all over the place.

If John re-does the betting presentation, FOCUS 2000 could be a real winner. The problem is, TB5 and Fastcapper have set the bar so high that it is tough for any program to match that level of handicapping power.

All the best,

Jaguar

JimG
10-15-2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Jaguar
The problem is, TB5 and Fastcapper have set the bar so high that it is tough for any program to match that level of handicapping power.

All the best,

Jaguar

Jaguar,

Wasn't aware you were a fan of Fastcapper. I have an old version of it...around 1997 and remember it being a pace and speed program with pars. Nothing on connections as I recall or form analysis.

Care to elaborate what you like about Fastcapper that places it on par, so to speak with ThorobrainV? Thanks.

Jim

Jaguar
10-15-2002, 11:17 PM
JimG,

you are absolutely correct, Fastcapper is a speed and pace program, but what a program. Jim Cramer's numbers are really strong.

The program shows considerable scientific rigor.

TB5 is, of course, derived from the best A. I. program ever produced- Dave Schwartz's brilliant Thorobrain.

It will be a long time before science produces a more accurate disc than Thorobrain or TB5.

All the best,

Jaguar

Speed Figure
10-16-2002, 01:02 AM
I think Fastcapper is great.The 1st time i used the program i hit a $911.00 pick 4 on a $20 ticket and had 5 of 6 in the pick 6 on an $8 ticket.

I love the betting line and i like the fact that you can input your infor manually.:D

anotherdave
10-16-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by speed figure

I love the betting line and i like the fact that you can input your infor manually.:D

I have thought about buying that one, but would really like to be able to buy the cards one at a time as I only play 10 or 12 times a month. I was wondering, how long does it take to manually input the data?

AD

JimG
10-16-2002, 05:31 PM
AD,

Don't hold me to it...but I believe with the Cynthia Publishing HDW files, including Fastcapper, they have a part time plan for 20 files at $50 a month.

If you email, HDW, they could tell you for sure. The website is

www.horsedata.com

Jim

Speed Figure
10-16-2002, 05:49 PM
For me,1st i pick my contenders than i input the pacelines into the program.

It takes me about 40 minutes to do a full race card if you were to put all the horses in every race it would take much longer.

I don't care for the cramer speed figures because i make my own but that betting line is great.

I have had times where the program put fair odds on a horse at 5/2 and the horse went off at like 6 or 8/1 many times i get these overlays.

The all time best overlays were Thermostatic and War Emblem in the derby.

Thermostatic had 9/2 fair odds on the program and went off at like 25/1 in the 2nd race at hollywood park on 7/12/02.I had a $20.00 win bet and keyed her on top in a $20 exacta for a big payoff.

It's a good program at a low price.