PDA

View Full Version : Gordon Jones

GaryG
11-03-2005, 09:08 AM
Does anyone know what ever happened to Gordon Jones? He was a turf writer in L.A. in the 60s and 70s and a former professor at USC. He and I worked some seminars back in the early 80s and once got busted by the Arcadia cops. It seems that our group pick 6 ticket constituted bookmaking. His daughter Joann is one of the talking heads on TVG.

rrbauer
11-03-2005, 09:43 AM
Lot's of posts on this board about Gordon....do a search. I think his daughter is on the other racing channel, not TVG and I recall her doing some picks from the paddock at Gulfstream.

Last time I saw Gordon (in LV) he was wearing a polyester sports coat of early 80's vintage!

banacek
11-03-2005, 10:56 AM
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23426

oddswizard
11-03-2005, 11:50 AM
Gordon Jones is still doing seminars at Sam's Town in Las Vegas. He was a guest on our racing seminar at the Sonoma County Fair in Santa Rosa in August. He is still picking winners and having a lot of fun. He is an amazing speaker, a good friend, and a student of the game.

Dan Montilion
11-03-2005, 01:13 PM
Try this,

thoroughbredinsiders.com

Dan Montilion

midnight
11-03-2005, 02:59 PM
Gordie is alive and well and doing his thing, e.g. picking winners and backing them with his own money (and the money of others :p ). I don't know if he still does the Pick 6 pool one-day-syndicate thing like he used to do in SoCal.

Maxspa
11-03-2005, 11:03 PM
All,
Gordon is in the process of finishing four books. The titles are as follows:
"Sure Profits With Losing Horses",
"How To Play More Horses For Less Money",
"Long Shots I have Known", and
"Easy Pickings"
This information and other articles written by Gordon and Paul Skelton can be found on their web site at www.thoroughbredinsiders.com.
Maxspa

oddswizard
11-04-2005, 12:44 PM
After leaving office President Richard Nixon moved to Southern California and wanted someone to write his story. Guess who he called & hired to write his story? None other than Gordon Jones. Turns out he liked Gordon's writing style when he was a journalist for a Los Angeles newspaper. What a tribute!

GaryG
11-04-2005, 01:03 PM
GJ was a pioneer speed handicapper who saw the predictive values of fractional times way before Beyer. As has been said, he is also just an excellent public speaker. I learned plenty from him, that is for sure. His book "Gordon Jones To Win" was a classic, too bad it was published by a small west coast outfit that specialized in gambling books.

rrbauer
11-04-2005, 08:12 PM
All,
Gordon is in the process of finishing four books. The titles are as follows:
"Sure Profits With Losing Horses",
"How To Play More Horses For Less Money",
"Long Shots I have Known", and
"Easy Pickings"
This information and other articles written by Gordon and Paul Skelton can be found on their web site at www.thoroughbredinsiders.com.
Maxspa

Personally, I like Gordon. He's articulate and a good handicapper. But, he has been writing these books FOREVER. He told me about "Easy Pickings" at least fifteen years ago.....maybe it's not so easy after all?

kenwoodallpromos
11-04-2005, 09:56 PM
Sat 7am pacific time Gordon Jones is on Sam Spear's "At the track" on 680 KNBR.

the little guy
11-05-2005, 08:37 AM
After leaving office President Richard Nixon moved to Southern California and wanted someone to write his story. Guess who he called & hired to write his story? None other than Gordon Jones. Turns out he liked Gordon's writing style when he was a journalist for a Los Angeles newspaper. What a tribute!You meant to say " after resigning to avoid impeachment " I assume?