PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News: Chris McCarron To Retire

PaceAdvantage
06-15-2002, 12:46 AM
Says June 23 will be his last day of riding.....kind of sudden and surprising....

Dick Schmidt
06-15-2002, 05:00 AM
Damn. Besides being one of the best to ever ride a horse, he's a hell of a nice guy. Won't seem the same without him.

Dick

rrbauer
06-16-2002, 01:23 PM
1. Whatever price we might have gotten on Came Home next Sunday is gone.
2. At least I won't have to worry about taking a stand against his horse in turf races.
3. I know some guys who will be completely lost with no "Howdy Doody" to blame for their losses!
4. There was a little vignette in one of the papers concerning CJ and the fact that he and Gary Stevens are going to be in the movie, "Seabiscuit". Apparently, Scotty McClelland, Chris' agent, didn't know the details about the movie deal and when he heard that Chris' character was going to be on War Admiral and Gary Stevens (as George Woolf) was going to be on Seabiscuit, he called Chris and said, "Don't commit yet. I think I can get us on the other one!"
5. Finally, something that most people don't know about Chris. Since he started riding, he has never bet on the horses.

kitts
06-16-2002, 08:06 PM
I attended a Gordon Jones seminar at HOL and Chris was the guest. These jockeys are good guests but now always much help in 'capping. But Chris told about a cheap claimer that he worked recently who came home in that work in under 12 seconds last 1/8 mile. I didn't need more to bet on this horse I threw out earlier who paid $22.00 even after Chris went into some detail for the newbies on the significance of the workout. He will be missed.