PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Park Cancels Turf Racing

the little guy
11-01-2005, 03:58 PM
Apparantly the new course wasn't up to snuff. There will be NO turf racing the entire meet. The Fall Turf Festival has been cancelled.

I don't even pay attention to hollywood but this is a real shame.

Buddha
11-01-2005, 04:26 PM
yea it is. I just saw that today and was kinda of bummed. I like betting turf races, and So Cal usually has some decent races, plus almost always on the turf. Oh well, guess it is better than having major problems trying to run on it.

BillW
11-01-2005, 04:28 PM
The turf track was done before last meet, correct?

Zaf
11-01-2005, 04:30 PM
So now we can look forward to 8 race cards with 40 total horses :eek:

ZAFONIC

Jeff P
11-01-2005, 04:45 PM
This IS really sad. I'm a big fan of SoCal racing on the green stuff. Usually you can count on some nice fields and because of the weather seldom do they have to take them off.

-jp

Buddha
11-01-2005, 04:59 PM
The turf track was done before last meet, correct?

u might be thinking of Del Mar. They replaced their turf course this year too.

midnight
11-01-2005, 05:04 PM
You think they'll have as many as 5 horses per race this year?

This situation creates an opportunity. The rank and file SoCal turf horses (maiden, claiming, low-allowance) do poorly, relative to their odds, when shipped elsewhere. While the meet is only about six weeks, some trainers will still send some turf horses north to Golden Gate or south to Turf Paradise. Much of the public will jump on these shippers, not realizing that the reason they were shipped is because Hollywood isn't scheduling any turf races. They'll be overbet, and that might create value elsewhere in the race they're in.

kenwoodallpromos
11-01-2005, 07:15 PM
Where will the trainers send all their turf only horses? I assume the purses will not follow. They vshould send them and the purse money to Northern Ca!

Zaf
11-01-2005, 07:22 PM
If the racing secretary in No. Cal is smart, he will write a slew of nice turf races to attract the better horses.

ZAFONIC

chickenhead
11-01-2005, 07:36 PM
If the racing secretary in No. Cal is smart
ZAFONIC

:lol: :lol: :lol:

rrbauer
11-01-2005, 07:45 PM
They lose their Autumn Turf Festival which featured a number of big-purse races for graded runners over a three-day weekend. Now they will redistribute the purse money so that the SoCal NWOT runners (all six of them) will be running for $80k instead of $50k (or whatever). And, the runners that would normally ship in from other parts of the country (and the world) for the Turf Festival; and some of those runners' stable mates that would normally ship in for some of the lesser stakes and allowance fare will end up at other venues (not GGF for sure).

Why wait three years to pull the plug on this masquerade (Hollywood Park)?

When does Tampa Bay Downs open? :)

Jeff P
11-01-2005, 08:37 PM
Tampa Bay Downs opens Saturday Dec 10. A glance at the Condition Book shows three turf races on the opening day card.

-jp

JustRalph
11-01-2005, 08:37 PM
Somebody out there has a list titled:

"Things to cancel so Ralph doesn't make any money "

This is at the top of the list...........Sucks!

kingfin66
11-01-2005, 09:05 PM

I feel your pain. The good news is that they should still card a few 7.0 furlong maiden sprints with big fields and few FTS. Those are good betting opportunities at Hollywood.

BillW
11-01-2005, 09:06 PM

You'll just have to hit those 4.5f'ers at CT harder. :D

Ron
11-01-2005, 11:37 PM
So will the California trainers ship their good turf horses East? What will that do to California turf racing?

Tom
11-01-2005, 11:59 PM
So now we can look forward to 8 race cards with 40 total horses :eek:

ZAFONIC

And 16 of them are "off the turf" horses! :eek:

Tom
11-02-2005, 12:02 AM
They should still have the turf festival, but for entry fees, everyone brings a hunk of sod!

Or they could paint the dirt green with that stuff they use at construction sites! :D

Zaf
11-02-2005, 12:27 AM
They should still have the turf festival, but for entry fees, everyone brings a hunk of sod!

Or they could paint the dirt green with that stuff they use at construction sites! :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ZAFONIC